Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.6W White Powder Coat 17500 Ehgemus Host

DTR

1.6W White Powder Coat 17500 Ehgemus Host​

I have been waiting to get some powder coated hosts from Ehgumes and here is the first of a few new ones that I have. This host was fit to a Panasonic 17500 battery. It is a little more compact than a typical 18650 host and still has a high discharge rate giving the ability to do a higher powered unit.

Host

I built a white powder coated Ehgemus 14650 for another member that asked me to make him a 635 unit and I liked the color so much I decided to get a white one for myself.:) As always this Ehgemus unit is very well constructed. Here are some shots of the this great host.:D

p1016354.jpg

Assembly

So here is what you are going to need to build this unit. The host which breaks down as follows. The tailcap, driver pocket, host body, focus adapter and direct press head. Then you will need the 17500 battery, lens, A140 diode, two flexdrives and a rectangular aluminum heatsink.

As you can see the newer direct press heads are internal and completely hidden when the unit is all put together. Which also means that it does not have to have any powder coating on any part of it. The powder coating does somewhat act like an insulation but as you are using the whole host body as heat sink it should not be an issue.

He does an amazing job on the powder coating check out how clean it is.

p1016271.jpg

p1016274.jpg

p1016275.jpg

p1016276.jpg

I started out by putting a little thermal compound on the lip the diode seats on for maximum thermal transfer. Be careful not to use very much. In fact I wipe it back out when I am done so that it just has a small layer of it on the lip. You don't want to press it in and find you squeezed a bunch of thermal compound into your head that can get on the diode window ruining it.

If you can see there is a very thin layer on the lip.

p1016290.jpg

Then I pressed the diode in.

p1016296.jpg

Next I got two flexdrives, wired them up and set them to 800mA each for 1.6A.

p1016301w.jpg

Then I cut down that aluminum block to the width of the flexdrive and bonded them back to back with the heatsink in the middle with some thermal adhesive.

Once that had hardened I removed the negative driver input leads as I won't be using them on this build and shortened and soldered the corresponding leads on the two driver together.

Now since I removed the negative driver input lead I need to provide a path to ground so I bent the case pin into the negative pin and added a little solder to make it continuous with the case which is the ground to provide the driver with the negative input. This method will not work with all driver but the flex's will work this way.

Next I put some shrink tubing on the driver output wires in preparation to solder them to the diode. Remember to always short these two wires together before hooking them to the diode.;)

Then I soldered the leads to the diode pins. Since I pre-tinned the leads I did not need any extra solder.

Then I moved the shrink tubing down over the pins and used heat to shrink them.

p1016330.jpg

I wrapped the driver in some electrical tape.

I packed all the wiring into the driver pocket and put some thermal adhesive to keep it sealed.

Then I carefully pushed the pocket and head together and let the adhesive set. And that is about it for the assembly.:beer:

Screwed the head into the host body, added a lens and a battery. She is ready go so I tried it out.:evil:

LPM Test

I tested it with an Aixiz lens and it is giving 1.4W so with a G-1 it should give 1.6W.:evil:

sgvn.jpg

Final Thoughts

I have said it before that Ehgemus is a great asset to this forum and I have had the fortune to utilize his skills many times. This host is no exception. It has a great look and feel and is certainly a great addition to my reviews. Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed it.;)

.​

Last edited:

I wasn't sure of white at first. By the end of your post you turned me around though! Very nice looking build.

I too wasn't sure about the white. I think I've decided I like it. It's different. ;)

LaZeRz

Thats so beautiful!

I cant even keep up with repping you, you put too much things out that I cant recover from the previous time I rep'ed you... :D

hehehe, 888 posts

Last edited:
I wonder if you could put some mineral oil in the driver pocket? :thinking:

It looks space age. You both always amaze me. :beer:

LaZeRz

If you'd mind sharing what soldering iron/station you use and what solder/flux you use I'd be grateful :D

Your builds always come out very neat :beer:

I wonder if you could put some mineral oil in the driver pocket? :thinking:

It looks space age. You both always amaze me. :beer:

neat idea to TJ!
Seems like he could squeeze a few drops into there as it is already packed with wires :p might give a little more heat tranfer for the driver.
mineral oil has always been interesting stuff!, have you seen the computer in a aquarium with mineral oil?

to DTR: Awesome build once again! ever since i saw the WL blu-ray something...cant remember the name, i always wanted a white host and this one just looks amazing, great step-by-step tut to like you always do!:beer: this also counts towards Ehgemus, he does amazing work!

Last edited:
The WL one was called the Sonar. What's the advantage to a powder coat over anodization?