Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

World's Largest Digital Photo

Topping out at 70-gigapixels

"As with other multi-gigapixel images, this one was no easy feat, and involved two 25-megapixel Sony A900 cameras fitted with 400mm Minolta lenses and 1.4X teleconverters, a robotic camera mount from 360world that got the shooting done over the course of two days, and two solid days of post-processing that resulted in a single 200GB file"

I had to install a plugin from Microsoft to view it.
The pixur itself is truly amazing. 360° pix are my favorite i just think they are so cool. zooming seems to go on and on.
I thought some of you might like this
:drool:

30839905.jpg

74675391.jpg

70-gigapixel panorama of Budapest becomes world’s largest digital photograph | Tripple Tech *Link

Pix Link below
70 Billion Pixels Budapest - The largest photo on Earth - created by 360world.eu

That is freaking unbelievable. I wonder when the software and technique to make images like that on our own will be available. :) I'd love to take a picture of a city, say, when I was moving away from it for a while, and capture even 1/10th of this information. :)

The amount of zoom you can do with these photos is just insane, i didn't think a photo like this could be possible

I was going to download it to take a look, then I saw it was over 200Gb, then I was like noo, not happening, I don't want that taking up half my laptop.

Wow.. this is amazing! I used to think of stuff like this years ago, taking a picture and just keep on zooming, never thought it'd be possible.

Anyone wanna play I Spy?

lol I can't find the part of that image in the first post.

I can just imagine, creating a few of these images from certain perspectives, and reconstructing the entire setup in CG. You could digitize an entire town.

great when we have that sort of cam in our mobile phones :)
Btw, what a nice pictures that would have been if you placed 5-10 persons at a far away distance pointing theyr laser towards the cam (but not in the lens) !

But back to the most important: who is the first to find a topless girl ? :D

DJNY

This is so great.. hope more to see more of these pics very soon!!

Did anyone else saw this guy here?

^OH! Now its game to see who can find him first! :D

EDIT: I found him!

Last edited:
Thats so cool:)
If anybody is interested in viewing it with out installing microsoft's silverlight here is a link
70GPX

What's interesting is that even you can take awesome gigapixel photos, by photographing using a large format 8x10" plate. It'll take the shot nearly instantly too. Then have it scanned at a standard 5400dpi and have a "digital photo" that's usually higher quality, though at "only" 2.3 Gigapixels.

What?! 8x10? How much would that cost to develop? Or the cost of the film at a few dollars each! Well, compare that to your high-end 56MP Mamiya digital back (~$30k, "only" 7400x7400), and a whole damn day to take a photo, it's practically free! Even the A900 they used up there, taking photos one "inch" at a time, is $2400, the same cost as many large format cameras.

For the system above, what would've been awesome with that digital photo system above is if they used an unfiltered CCD and three monochromatic photos in three photos for better color reproduction. They do that on the telescopes in orbit so that they get as much light as possible.

If you look closely, you can even see the flies on the wall around where the camera is positioned.
This photo is insane.

If this was available to the general public it'd be so awesome. Really, this is more than just a picture. It has anthropological value.

Think of a picture like this taken every 10 years from a high up angle like this.

You could essentially zoom in, and see what was going on in that city, what people were doing, what events were posted, what products were advertised, whether school was in session, what kind of cars people drove, what they wore -- all with one photo.

Imagine if we had the technology for this 30 years ago, and how cool it'd be just examining bits of a city from the past and what was going on that day. To me this is like a potential time capsule and I can't wait till they figure out a way to allow us "normal folks" to do it with common DSLRs/tripod attachments, and some kind of commodity controller unit and merging program.

I think this sort of thing is more important than people think. Also the advent of everyone having a camera with a cel phone in their pocket. There are privacy issues, yes, but also there are some pretty cool aspects of it as far as historical chronicles go.