Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers products not FDA approved

However, it is just a game of "Whack-a-Mole" between them and the FDA. As I said before, buy them if you want them. Just do not be surprised when they get confiscated by customs

Peace,
dave

Wise advice, and "whack-a-mole" is a perfect description..

The questions I am asking, and I'm not sure if they have already been asked:
1. Why is it an issue whether or not Wicked's lasers are illegal when everyone here is breaking the law by buying and selling non-FDA approved lasers anyway?
The real problem is that Wicked is a dishonest, greedy entity, and should not be dealt with regardless of the legality of their products.

2. How does having safety features make a laser "safer?" Is a Class IV Hercules from Laserglow with 5-point safety features and FDA certification any less dangerous than a Class IV Arctic with "pretend safety features" and no FDA certification?
Safety features do not make a laser safer. The beam of light that comes out is still going to cause problems if it is used irresponsibly. "Safety features" do not prevent Dick Johnson from shining his new cool blue laser into cars and houses to annoy people.

Last edited:
How is the clicky button on the back of the Arctic a "beam attenuator"? Are they loosely interpreting this as "off switch" ?

Justin

From the FDA's letter to Wicked:

"Persons who violate section 538 of the Act are subject to civil penalties of up to $1,100 per violation and up to a maximum penalty of $355,000 without further notification by the FDA. In cases where a foreign manufacturer fails to respond, penalties may be imposed upon importers."

The government doesn't like it when you flaunt your lack of respect for their regulations, and it looks like Wicked's customers could be the ones to take the heat. Whether or not the regulations make lasers "more safe" is moot. The regulations exist, Wicked lied to everyone (again), now the US government has declared that it has the power to fine importers (aka customers) for bringing non-compliant goods into the country. It doesn't matter whether you agree or not, or whether they are targeting Wicked unfairly, or any other line of reasoning... The regulations and conditions for enforcement exist and they can use them if they choose. I'd consider this fair warning.

ZapU

Assuming the gov can find out who Wicked's customers are.

Wicked give them a list?
Fat chance. :tinfoil:

Also, at the time we bought them from Wicked, we thought they were legal.
I ordered mine in June, I never saw evidence to prove Wicked's claim of being legal was invalid then. They will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.:gun:

Well, i'm not "for" something like that happening in any way, but honestly, there's probably a record of shipments through Customs even if the lasers were not inspected.

You know what they say. "Ignorance of the law" doesn't absolve anyone from punishment...

And as much as the big talk goes around, I think we all know there wouldn't have to be any "prying". All it'd take is an officer or agent at your door. Or more likely, only a sternly worded letter.

That is, unless by "pry it out of your cold, dead hands" you actually mean that you're going to fire upon law enforcement if they approach, and would actually rather die in an exchange of gunfire in an armed standoff than hand over your Arctic, hoping to be remembered in history right along side the battle at the Alamo.

Which you may.

Personally, I've got other things to do that are worth more than $179.95+shipping.

Sucks? You bet. Die (or even go to prison) for a Chinese laser? ... hm. No.

Last edited:
S

Stephen j gilman

ROFLOL!!! The US government is retarded! Yelling at wicked lasers, and demanding they give a lists of of who bought one. Is like a drunk man asking a turd not to stink... It's not gonna happen! The USA can do nothing to china! Also china WILL NOT EXTRADITE its citizens to another country! The only way you will get caught is doing something dumb infront of a cop!

Justin

The FDA didn't say they would come to take the laser away. The letter clearly mentions a fine of up to $1100 for importers. Claiming ignorance is invalid. And, if your package traveled through US Customs, which it did, they have a record of the shipment. I admit it's a long shot that such a thing would happen, but it's certainly possible and the letter to Wicked clearly outlines this as a possibility should Wicked fail to comply with their rather lengthy request for corrective measures.

ROFLOL!!! The US government is retarded! Yelling at wicked lasers, and demanding they give a lists of of who bought one. Is like a drunk man asking a turd not to stink... It's not gonna happen! The USA can do nothing to china! Also china WILL NOT EXTRADITE its citizens to another country! The only way you will get caught is doing something dumb infront of a cop!
True, but Chris Tao (owner of WL) is a citizen of the United States born and raised. He only moved there about 5 years ago and btw when he moved WL to China, he couldn't speak a word of Chinese....I suppose he may have picked up the language by now. So I wouldn't say the Chinese government is going to put a lot of effort in defending him. I wonder what their laws are about extraditing USA citizens.

Last edited:

ZapU

Well, i'm not "for" something like that happening in any way, but honestly, there's probably a record of shipments through Customs even if the lasers were not inspected.

You know what they say. "Ignorance of the law" doesn't absolve anyone from punishment...

And as much as the big talk goes around, I think we all know there wouldn't have to be any "prying". All it'd take is an officer or agent at your door. Or more likely, only a sternly worded letter.

That is, unless by "pry it out of your cold, dead hands" you actually mean that you're going to fire upon law enforcement if they approach, and would actually rather die in an exchange of gunfire in an armed standoff than hand over your Arctic, hoping to be remembered in history right along side the battle at the Alamo.

Which you may.

Personally, I've got other things to do that are worth more than $179.95+shipping.

Sucks? You bet. Die (or even go to prison) for a Chinese laser? ... hm. No.

I was quoting Charlton Heston's famous line. Of course I'm not going to do battle, neither was he. :rolleyes:

S

Stephen j gilman

When lasers are outlawed, only outlaws will carry lasers! :b

Say lasers do get a law passed where you can't own one... What are we suppose to do with our collections? You herd of toys for guns... How about lasers for uh... Apples?

Well lasers would not be banned at first. It would be done like Californias SKS-56 ban. First you ask people to register them, and justify it with the need to make sure that terrorists, nuts, and ex-cons don't own one. You promise that its is only registration.

Wait for a casus belli (legalese for "an incident").

Then you seize the lasers.

The govt is stupid, but it does learn. You can never start with a total prohibition of something. You have to do it incrementally, and a government can wait 5, 10, 20 years.

We already have systems in place to track sales of certain items (like iodine, and cough meds) and flag people who buy more then a consumer would need.

There is a lot of stuff that people USED to be able to experiment with as hobbyists. Inventors used to play with chemicals in their basements. People could make their own guns. Pre 1999 you could take a part your video game system and modify it, now that could be a felony.

Look at tobacco prohibition as en example. 20 years ago if you told someone "One day it will be illegal for you to smoke outside" they would have called you crazy.