Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why Children shouldn't be allowed to own a laser

Really? how do you know that they're all putting out "40mw"?
I've seen atleast 5 members here say theirs is overspec, and the only bad thing I've seen about one is some noob pot modded his, and it died. I've also seen one outputting over 70mw, and one at almost 100mw... Why do you assume they're all 40mw? A few might be underspec, but I think the majority are actually at, or above 50mw.

I dunno bout that, but the 5 to 10 people told me it was in the low 40's

my ledshoppe 50 was putting 60mw before. now its putting out just shy of 100mw.
no disrespect to the members who told you what your laser might be putting out but there is no way for them to know unless they actually tested it

michael.

jfp999

LOL thanks guys for reassuring me the quality of my new laser. I'm waiting for my laser to arrive. :( Its taking forever. 7 to 20 business days. At worst, its like a month.

Lol... this illustrates a very good argument against young people having lasers. We're impatient, and wish the post would HURRY THE FUCK UP!!

Someone hurry up and invent the teleporter, so snail mail goes obselete...

my ledshoppe 50 was putting 60mw before. now its putting out just shy of 100mw.
no disrespect to the members who told you what your laser might be putting out but there is no way for them to know unless they actually tested it

michael.

Wow that's really odd, I thought it was shy of 50, but almost 100mW, dang? I'm guessing, that the people who got overspec are 50-50

Yes, impatience isnt something you grow out of, I even stare out the window for the postal lady to arrive when im expecting something...

Yes, impatience isnt something you grow out of, I even stare out the window for the postal lady to arrive when im expecting something...

lol your so right! When I buy something, I always look out the window, just waiting for the mailman.

Zeus

I'm currently part of the population which when viewed by the narrow minded, take
on the appearance of several well known mass murderers.

I've had pointers since I was 10, I've had a device containing a sharp edge
since I was 5, I used a 12 G high velocity pellet projecter when I was 3.
Also I have used a chainsaw since I was 12, I've used power tools longer
than I can remember and I've used mains for when I was 12.

But I have broken a tooth from a lung powered dart launcher, sent a 3 mil
diameter lead ball into my left index finger along with several thousand
degree gases, thus morphing said finger into a scale model of a volcano
which included lava.

So I've had many injuries, but I'm still not a dillweed.

2009 wasn't my year.

Sorry about the life story and rant.

Regards

Lachlan

just for all the times you hurt your self makes a good case to take lasers away from childen. the point of taking them away is to protect children from themselves LoL. now having said that, i am still neither for nor against it. i believe in case by case basis, old and young alike.

michael

I'm currently part of the population which when viewed by the narrow minded, take
on the appearance of several well known mass murderers.

I've had pointers since I was 10, I've had a device containing a sharp edge
since I was 5, I used a 12 G high velocity pellet projecter when I was 3.
Also I have used a chainsaw since I was 12, I've used power tools longer
than I can remember and I've used mains for when I was 12.

But I have broken a tooth from a lung powered dart launcher, sent a 3 mil
diameter lead ball into my left index finger along with several thousand
degree gases, thus morphing said finger into a scale model of a volcano
which included lava.

So I've had many injuries, but I'm still not a dillweed.

2009 wasn't my year.

Sorry about the life story and rant.

Regards

Lachlan

I think most of it depends on where you grow up.

Power tools: 8
BB gun: 6
30-06: 13
12 gauge: 12
.22: 10
Laser: 6

jfp999

Bring 500mw greenie into school and say this is a laser wanna see what happens when it goes through your eye. Take a piece of paper and burn it. Then say magnify that 10 times and this is what is going to happen to your eye if you don't stop shining at me! lol jk obviously don't shine it even if they call you out on it.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm currently a sophomore in high-school (for 3 more weeks) and I think that almost nobody understands the safety issues of lasers. I go to my history class and when we get up to do powerpoint presentations, people shine the little <5mW red pointer in people's eyes for fun. Nobody seems to mind much and technically that's a "safe" power output but it really makes me mad if it strays into my eyes. I know of one particular person who bought a 200mW red after spending some time researching on LPF and elsewhere. He seems to me one of the only other people I know who actually realizes that there's no joking around... It only takes a second... Less than a second to do some permanent damage.

-CAM

cool, I'm a freshman in high-school, going to be a sophomore, I have like 5 lasers =)

jfp999

I ordered a 50mw greenie from LEDShoppe. Turns out to be like 20 to 30 mw :( after I've heard of such good things.

Wayta make me feel good ey?

I had a 5mW before I took it apart for fun. Now I want a Rayfoss Green.

I'm selling a waterproof 200mW rayfoss green laser, but it doesn't burn a match, just like mik's laser, so I think it's 130mW.

Bring 500mw greenie into school and say this is a laser wanna see what happens when it goes through your eye. Take a piece of paper and burn it. Then say magnify that 10 times and this is what is going to happen to your eye if you don't stop shining at me! lol obviously don't shine it even if they call you out on it.

That is excellent, good statement to support your lasers for responsible kids only theory. Lets educate those kids by letting them watch us shine a 500mW green laser at a white piece of paper. I would assume that you would give them all glasses, or just have them stare at the spot?

All I can say is I'm glad that you don't have a 500mW green laser. Blinding a bunch of schoolkids would really be great for the laser world.

And CAM, lookie here! Just random thread where another user says how crappy his rayfoss laser is. Just FYI, a decent 100mW laser will light a match. Your laser probably is not even 100mW.