Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why are most 445nm all 1W+?

Why are most 445nm lasers all 1W+ I'm interested in buying one but I think 1w is a little much for me at this point in time I'm just getting into the hobby HEAVILY addicted already (better then being addicted to something harmful I suppose) but anyhow what would be some GOOD goggles for a 1W+ preferably that block wavelengths 190nm - 1064nm would be cool if it were possible but I have a 10$ pair that say 405-532nm, but not sure i would trust them with something that powerful.

LaZeRz

It's because you have a choice of a low powered single mode or a high powered multi mode diode. The low powered build usually use the single mode diode as it offers better beam specs at that power. Most people find it a waste to spend 50-100 bucks on a 445 diode to only run it at low power which is why you usually see alot of high powered builds.

Goggles that block 190-1064nm would effectively be like trying to look through a brick wall. No light whatsoever will pass through. Where did you get your 10 dollar pair of goggles? They aren't the best but they aren't too bad either.

I got my goggles from lazerer and I'm looking for like a 500mw 445nm I want to be able to see the beam pretty good in daylight and like a lightsaber at night :D

I mean as long as a 1W won't burn the paint off my walls, and I can show it to people inside without them having to have goggles on (which i don't think the showing people thing is possible safely without goggles)

If someone could point me in the right direction here it would of great appreciation :eek:

I got my goggles from lazerer and I'm looking for like a 500mw 445nm I want to be able to see the beam pretty good in daylight and like a lightsaber at night :D

I mean as long as a 1W won't burn the paint off my walls, and I can show it to people inside without them having to have goggles on (which i don't think the showing people thing is possible safely without goggles)

If someone could point me in the right direction here it would of great appreciation :eek:

I know how you feel. My 445nm is incredibly powerful and I like it very much but I also want one that I can safely wave around inside without starting a fire. Also a 1W+ you can look at the beam but you can't look at the dot as its much brighter than the sun and is dangerous to your eyes out to as much as several hundred feet, and wearing the goggles all you see is a dim dot, you can't see the beam. 500mw is still fairly powerful borderline class 4, but the only way to get one as far as I know is to under power a M140, there are however low power 450nm, something in the range of 120mw if I remember correctly but they are not cheap either. I have been thinking about trying to do a build that has a low and high power setting, if I do I will post a thread thoroughly documenting what I did. As far as goggles go, the cheap ones are better than nothing but some of the cheap Chinese made ones can't be trusted with a 1W+ and some can, buy a good pair for yourself as soon as you can and keep a couple of cheap ones to hand to your guests you show your laser to.

Alan

Also, I feel that Lazerer's glasses are crap. better than nothing, but crap. there's a big difference between those and some real ones with true OD 4 rating for example

Very good question about 1 watt plus, i really would like a say 50 mW version to point with without feeling like its a weapon, every time i take one of mine out for a drive so to speak i feel really paranoid about nuking! my eyesight you get red ,violet and green in eBay pens but not blue and i really would like to know ppls theory's on that ,why no eBay pen in 445nm

xmtgx

Very good question about 1 watt plus, i really would like a say 50 mW version to point with without feeling like its a weapon, every time i take one of mine out for a drive so to speak i feel really paranoid about nuking! my eyesight you get red ,violet and green in eBay pens but not blue and i really would like to know ppls theory's on that ,why no eBay pen in 445nm

Because 445 diodes cost a lot more to get hold of.

Last edited:
@shakenawake - could you point me in the direction of some good goggles?

And also I love the 445nm color but I want to be able to use it without goggles sometimes but still be able to burn things and see the beam with lights on :yabbem:

Last edited:
M140 diodes are rated at 2W (from cashio projectors) made by nichia :p while their A140 diodes are rated at 1.5W. its just what the manufacture made them as. M140 diodes can be pushed to around 2W while the A140s are not as powerful and on the other side the 9mm can go 3W+

Last edited:
Lol burn paint off walls ,, funny thing is. That happened to me was messing with my 1600mw blue laser and set it down pointing to the wall .. When I noticed it was smoking it was too late and there was a black spot on my white wall . Easy to paint over but funny still

You have 50-80 mW single diode 445-450 nm lasers from ebay, odic force and other shops.
Around 40-50€ each.
You can see the beam at night (not like a 1 W of course) and the dot is very bright.

You have 50-80 mW single diode 445-450 nm lasers from ebay, odic force and other shops.
Around 40-50€ each.
You can see the beam at night (not like a 1 W of course) and the dot is very bright.

those are 450nm single mode diodes not 445nm multi-mode diodes

you can get those diodes from DTR for $37 HERE

@shakenawake - could you point me in the direction of some good goggles?

And also I love the 445nm color but I want to be able to use it without goggles sometimes but still be able to burn things and see the beam with lights on :yabbem:

I am not sure you can have an appropriate power level to reach that balance, its either going to be too strong or too weak but your not the only one who would like this. The only answer is two lasers or to build one with two power levels similar to the one linked to earlier. There would clearly be a demand for lasers with multiple modes like low/high/strobe or something like that, they do it with flashlights so it can be done with lasers but I only remember 3 or 4 threads with lasers like that and they were in normal hand held hosts. I know I could build something like that if I put in a project box or something but not sure about a normal host. If any of the people making drivers are reading this you should consider the possibility of designing a driver with such a feature, I know it would be a big hit.

Alan