Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why are most 445nm all 1W+?

Why have a multimode 50 mW when you have single diode modes with the same and great beam/dot specs?

i have never seen a multimode 445nm under 500mW, those are all single mode diodes

I am not sure you can have an appropriate power level to reach that balance, its either going to be too strong or too weak but your not the only one who would like this. The only answer is two lasers or to build one with two power levels similar to the one linked to earlier. There would clearly be a demand for lasers with multiple modes like low/high/strobe or something like that, they do it with flashlights so it can be done with lasers but I only remember 3 or 4 threads with lasers like that and they were in normal hand held hosts. I know I could build something like that if I put in a project box or something but not sure about a normal host. If any of the people making drivers are reading this you should consider the possibility of designing a driver with such a feature, I know it would be a big hit.

Alan

Doesn't the spider artic do that ?

I have this one as low powered 445nm :)

Must say i like allot for pointing.
But i doubt they are still availible.

This one is suppose to do only 5mW, but it's doing 11mW :D
''Still very low powered for 445nm''
It's not a single mode diode, don't know what they used in this nor do i know what driver.

nCKHKMm.jpg

Cheers, SM.

Last edited:
/\ maybe its blinking (pwm)?

@Livinloud
I don't think the A140s are rated 1.5W and M140s 2W... Thats what we push them at.
IIRC its not ca$io who make the diodes.. its nichia ? :thinking:

Last edited:
@Leodahsan, I didnt mean to say they were built by cashio and i dont think they are rated at xxxx power by either company. iirc it was Dave that posted that information somewhere so i will see if i can dig it up for us

EDIT: got it for us, pulled from his "at cost" sales thread

There are many "models" of the projector (M-140, M-145, M-155, M-240, M-245, M-255, etc)
The number indicated different configurations of "features" like; USB port, aspect ratio, etc.
The "letter" of the model indicated which diode was used
A = the 1.5W diode
M= the 2W diode

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
"M140 diodes are rated at 2W from cashio"
:thinking:

They are rated in a range of powers, by nichia. I've seen their datasheets, and they rank their diodes. But I don't think the A140 or M140 are rated that high...

Well have a talk with Dave. Like i said, it was info pulled from his post and i provided the quote above with the location it was pulled from. I have 150% trust in Dave's word so I believe what he says and posts.

:beer: Don't take me bad ok. Its just what I saw on datasheets.

Yeah i understand, didnt take it as an attack so dont worry :D. Can you provide a link to that sheet, id be interested to look at it and try and figure out whats the correct number :beer:

Doesn't the spider artic do that ?

Yes it does. Apparently it does: High power / Low Power / Strobe / Continuous / SOS / Beacon / and Tactical Standby modes, whatever that is. It even has a separate switch so you don't have to cycle through those with the on off switch. This certainly proves it can be done, I don't know why its not done much yet. I think in time this will become a common feature we will have in our lasers. I am going to look into this possibility further.

Yeah i understand, didnt take it as an attack so dont worry :D. Can you provide a link to that sheet, id be interested to look at it and try and figure out whats the correct number :beer:

Nichia's website don't seem to have the datasheets anymore...

You can download the datasheet for a 9mm diode here. Being 1.6W Typical output, we assume that double that is the maximum achievable by pushing the diode. Around 3.2W typical (3.4 maybe, with cherry picked ones).
So you take the maximum power a A140 or M140 could output and halve it. If a A140 is 2W max by pushing, its probably a 1W diode, even I read somewhere its drove at ~600mW on the projector (A140).

EDIT: It seems to be a different datasheet... have a look at those:
ebay link here. I'll have a look into 5.6mm ones. I'll ask Robinson personally

Last edited: