Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's in your camera bag?

Is that the same as the M380? I couldn't find it listed on DPReview's extensive database, but it's often the case that a camera will sell under three different names / ids (U.S., EU, Japan, for example)... :undecided:

No, not entirely, it shares plenty of it's specs, but it looks entirely different.

The contents of my camera bag are a felony in some states.
Well I don't exactly think you're going to alarm the local sheriffs with your gear alone:
Just a little 7 megapixel Kodak easy share, or Sanyo 10megapixel (looks like a re-badge easy share)

Unless of course, you carry Just%20a%20little%207%20megapixel%20Kodak%20easy%20share,%20or%20Sanyo%2010megapixel%20%28looks%20like%20a%20re-badge%20easy%20share%29"]your snakes in the same bag... :evil:

That's an easy one - it's all in the timing... ;)

1991: my first "real" job (read: with money in my pocket, even after paying all the bills...)
1991: My first SLR (analog, Minolta X-700)
1999: My first digital camera (non-SLR, Nikon CoolPix 950 - $1,000... :eek:)
1999: My first dream of owning a Digital SLR (thanks to the Nikon D1, roughly priced at $6000... :whistle:)
2003: The first "affordable" SLR hits the market (300D) - but I'm still not convinced to go digital...
2004: The Nikon releases the D70, which blows away Canon's 300D...
2005: My decision to finally move to digital
2005: Canon releases the 350D, which blows away the aging D70.
2005: I buy one of the first (...of 100,000) 350Ds - $1,000 (hmm...)
2005: Nikon releases the D70s (too little, too late)... .

Once you invest in one brand, buying flashes, lenses, remotes, etc. your hands are kind of tied. I have friends who have dumped their entire rigs to switch, but I personally like my Canon gear and (of course now) the buttons, functions & menu system is just fine!

So sure, once in a while I daydream about having a D90 because although my memory is a bit fuzzy, I recall a few reviews that said the D90 was the best thing since sliced bread... But like, the 50D ain't no chopped liver, neither... !

Q.E.D., hermano :beer:

Danke, herr. Now I get it :p

And yes, the D90 is amazing (also being my first DSLR). I'm so happy I took the plunge and spewed out the extra bucks for the D90 instead of getting a D80. I have too many pet peeves to not appreciate the fact that I can switch the photometer to go from negative to positive (-....'....+) instead of backwards. I mean, after YEARS of making graphs in math I don't really want to have the + sign on the left :D

Also, great lens, man, there's little to none chromatic aberration on those pictures.

Raybo

Body is a Pentax K20D

Lenses.....

Pentax DA 10-17 fisheye
Pentax DA 16-45
Sigma AF 24mm F2.8
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Sigma 30mm F1.4
Pentax FA 43mm limited
Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4
Tamron 70-200 F2.8
Vivitar Series I 105mm F2.5 Macro
MTO (Russian mirror lenses) 1000mm F10 & 500mm F8
Vivitar 400mm F 5.6

And I have lots and lots of older Pentax "A" and "M" lenses

Raybo

Just a note....if I just happened to switch systems it would be with Nikon.

You can go way back for legecy lenses with Nikon, Canon screwed the pooch!

Dr_Evil, although I searched & I searched, I couldn't find any images from you here on LPF... :thinking:

Two Qs for my fellow Canon-er, how do you like your EF-S 10-22, is it sharp [enough] wide open (center,edges)? As for your quest for the 70-200 2.8, please be certain to check out the 4L too. The lens is much lighter and after some testing, sharpness was equal in most cases. In fact, I found the 4L sharper at f/4 (and I tested it against two copies of the 2.8) and the 2.8 is NOT that sharp at 2.8... :undecided:

I am of course talking about the "old" 2.8. If you are working on Wall Street and can afford the "2.8 IS USM II", well then, theat's another beast all together... :evil:

I haven't had much of a chance to mess around with it a whole lot yet. I haven't had it very long. I did take some pictures inside my apartment when I got it though. Thay have since been deleted though. I'll get some later on today.

Kenom

I feel rather pathetic. my camera sucks teh big one111. I've got a totally broken Sony DSC-P51. but I've fallen in love with one of the newer cameras from Sony's new lineup. They FINALLY decided to stop being solely proprietary with memory sticks and have incorporated the SDHC into teh Sony lineup!

I WILL own it! Sony DSC-HX5V
prerelease review here:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5V Digital Camera - Review - The Imaging Resource!

Body is a Pentax K20D...
Vivitar Series I 105mm F2.5 Macro...
MTO (Russian mirror lenses) 1000mm F10 & 500mm F8...

...if I just happened to switch systems it would be with Nikon. You can go way back for legecy lenses with Nikon...

Very impressive collection - look at all those lenses! Speaking of which, I had a Vivitar "Series I" for my Minolta X-700 ;)

Obviously you've been a loyal Pentax user for quite some time, now. Why even bother to switch? One of my colleagues wants to pull the trigger on the K-7... could be your next body :beer:

"Distortion and chromatic aberration correction for DA and DFA lenses"

sounds like an upgrade that would certainly be an advantage to you...

Personally, I don't know all that much about Pentax's SLR platform, but the one thing I do know and like is the built-in image stabilization! The costs incurred by both Canon & Nikon owners with per/lens IS solutions is just downright annoying! As a an example, Canon's 70-200 4L IS is almost twice as expensive as their non-IS version. Heck, that same lens costs about the same a their non-IS 70-200 2.8!!!

p.s. How much does your mirror "lenses" weigh? What do you use them for?

Funny how people are either Canon or Nikon.

I started with a Minolta SRT-100 when I was doing weddings about 25 years ago.

I got out of it for a while and finally jumped back in about the time the D70 Nikon was coming out. But IMHO glass is much more important than the camera.

I have a couple lens I want - but I won't buy unless it is what I'm looking for - so.... for right now I only have two lenses on both of which I could use a better f stop

The 18-70 Nikon lens that came with the D70. It's decent and fairly crisp although

The 80-400vr which I love. It's pricey and slow esp on the D70 and only a 4-5/5.6 - but it's small, easily portable, very crisp, the VR is great and I can grab some near perfect shots at a distance if not shooting high speed action. My wife calls it my paparazzi lens. It's not a digital lens so the lens is effectively a 120-600 on the D70.

My next investment for the money will be a Canon 500D close up adaptor. It's much easier on the budget than the macro lenses and still decent for about 1:1 with the 80-400vr

Otherwise a good wide angle is my next lens purchase.

BTW if you're looking for info on lenses and cameras these are good sources.

KenRockwell.com
Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ
diglloyd.com: Contents - this is especially good for mac guys.

I started with a Minolta SRT-100 ... IMHO glass is much more important than the camera ... BTW if you're looking for info on lenses and cameras these are good sources.
KenRockwell.com
Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ
diglloyd.com: Contents - this is especially good for mac guys.

I agree that glass is more important than the body... speaking of which, I had a 24mm f/2.8 Rokkor lens for my X-700 and XD-7 :D So I take it you own a 70D... do you also own a 500D too? It's unusual to find someone that actively maintains both Canon & Nikon kits...

Thanks for the links! DPR is my favorite DP site and the following are my main source of digital photography:

Good review sites:
<DPR> Digital Camera Reviews and News
fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras,...
Steve's Digicams - Main Menu
Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource!
Welcome to Photozone! (German site but all info available in English)

Great info on Photography:
The Luminous Landscape
http://www.robgalbraith.com

For Canon users:
Canon Digital SLR Camera and Lens Reviews at The-Digital-Picture.com
BobAtkins.com - Digital Cameras - Lens Tests - Canon News and Rumors - Canon EOS FAQ and more...
Canon Digital Photography Forums

I'm another Nikon user.

D80
D100
D200
50mm 1.8
60mm 2.8 Micro
AFS 12-24 DX
AFS 28-70 2.8D
AFS 70-300 VR
AF 80-400 VR
AFS 18-135 DX
2 x SB-50 (Flash)
SB-600 (Flash)
Tripods, lights, filters, batteries, cards, and of course software.

Morgan

... Nikon....

you disguxt me!

... ans the, "x", is deliberate!

... ans so is the, "ans"!

(No macro on this text...)

M
:)

D80, D100, D200, ...
Wow, nice roundup :beer:
So did you buy that D100 brand new - meaning, have you been working with the digital SLR format since 2002?

What did you use to take the pics in your threads...

Extras:
Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW ("sling" backpack)
Wish list:
Kata 3N1-22 Sling backpack
Well ok, one less item on my wish list :D The Kata 3N1 is not the ultimate solution that I was hoping for, but it certainly has its virtues... (post if you are interested in the details).

Kata 3N1-33 carryon sized for photo gear / Notebook / toothbrush & stuff

Lowepro Slingshot 200AW still the right one for an "afternoon in the city"

Last edited:
@Traveller

Iusually use the D200 for any pics I post to the forum. I shoot jpegs and use VSO Image Resizer to shrink them down to 800x600 or 640x480 for the forum. I got the D100 new when it came out. I'm looking to get a D300s very soon.