Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What martial arts do you practice?

Am I the only one not seeing poll choices? This is a poll, right?

Put me down for "none." I carry a gun for self-defense because I'm getting too old to fight hand-to-hand against anyone. Plus, the crimes around here aren't that close (meaning, they're gun-related anyway).

... you can't guarantee your gun will stop in their tummy ...
If you're aiming for their "tummy" then you're doing it wrong. We train to shoot vital organs, namely, center-of-mass (chest area for heart, lungs, through to backbone, etc).

i for one believe in nonlethal force and guns are a last resort. i carry pepper spray and a baton.
Most criminal-types nowadays carry guns, so you won't even be close enough to spray or beat them. Pepper spray can backfire on you, too. If I'm attacking you and I see your pepper spray, I'm going to raise my hands to block it. Then I'll be trying to rub it into your face as well, incapacitating you in the process.

The way I see it is this: if someone is threatening MY life, then I'm allowed to use DEADLY FORCE. Period. No discussion. Criminals aren't going to reason with you, or give you any notice before they try to rob/kill you, or give you a choice as to where they shoot you. So why give them a choice of "non-lethal" means?

i for one learned muay thai from my friend and i condition my shins. i'm not a masterful fighter, but my form and skill is better than a typical thug that throws haymakers.
Thugs carry guns. MMA is for TV.

Please keep in mind: These are just my opinions. If I was younger, I'd love to learn Krav Maga. But at my age, there's really no point. But kudos to all of you who are trained in a martial art. It's better than nothing I guess.

Last edited:
Am I the only one not seeing poll choices? This is a poll, right?

Put me down for "none." I carry a gun for self-defense because I'm getting too old to fight hand-to-hand against anyone. Plus, the crimes around here aren't that close (meaning, they're gun-related anyway).

If you're aiming for their "tummy" then you're doing it wrong. We train to shoot vital organs, namely, center-of-mass (chest area for heart, lungs, through to backbone, etc).

Most criminal-types nowadays carry guns, so you won't even be close enough to spray or beat them. Pepper spray can backfire on you, too. If I'm attacking you and I see your pepper spray, I'm going to raise my hands to block it. Then I'll be trying to rub it into your face as well, incapacitating you in the process.

The way I see it is this: if someone is threatening MY life, then I'm allowed to use DEADLY FORCE. Period. No discussion. Criminals aren't going to reason with you, or give you any notice before they try to rob/kill you, or give you a choice as to where they shoot you. So why give them a choice of "non-lethal" means?

Thugs carry guns. MMA is for TV.

Please keep in mind: These are just my opinions. If I was younger, I'd love to learn Krav Maga. But at my age, there's really no point. But kudos to all of you who are trained in a martial art. It's better than nothing I guess.

more or less lethal places of being shot, fact is you still can't guarentee it wont go out the back and hurt someone. so if u so sure you will stay in open areas, that's fine. in a restaurant... shoot someone and it ricochets and hurts someone... tough crap i guess.

as far as pepper spraying someone's hand... that's why you dont auto spray just cuz you got it out. block your face and block your view means baton to the hand and a broken wrist. fact is we can speculate scenarios and reactions all day long. fact is... anything is only as effective as good as you utilize it.

i won't deny a gun would kill nor that it's superior. in a fight of life or death between me and another, i'd say gun all the way. what i'm saying is that a gun isnt' always 100% safe and you could end up seriously injuring innocent people around you.

in a place where everyday life is threatened by guns and everyone on the street is carrying one then yeah carrying a gun is more acceptable. at least then everyone knows that every restaurant is a possible shoot out and stuff. that's more of a war zone than a city for love and life. depends where you live i guess. what i don't get is why don't people invest in body armor in such places. even if it's a low class that only blocks small caliber... still better than nothing.

martial arts isn't 100% useless, but it isn't something that ensures victory either. every situation is different. it's good to know some martial arts plus it's a good work out. it's also good to carry a gun depending on the kind of place you live, so long as you dont have itchy fingers and don't endanger/severely injure innocent people. if you responsible and know your surrounding then power to you, and i hope you never have to kill a civilian.

... fact is you still can't guarentee it wont go out the back and hurt someone.... in a restaurant... shoot someone and it ricochets and hurts someone... tough crap i guess.
That's why hollow points were invented. Less chance of the bullet going right through. And whether in a full restaurant or in the middle of nowhere, it's the training anyone goes through to be able to hit your target under stress, and not have to worry about missing and shooting an innocent bystander. We all are taught to hit center-of-mass on our targets, which reduces the chance of missing, or "ricochets" (which, in this case, I think is more of a TV phenomenon than a self-defense reality).

... fact is we can speculate scenarios and reactions all day long. fact is... anything is only as effective as good as you utilize it.
True that. This is why it's so important to train and practice with whatever method we're going to use.

... what i'm saying is that a gun isnt' always 100% safe and you could end up seriously injuring innocent people around you.
With proper training and keeping one's wits about them, I believe a gun is just as safe/effective as any other method. The point of self-defense is to stop the threat to one's own life as soon as possible. I'd rather do that beyond hitting/kicking distance. Although a point-blank shooting incident has happened to me once already.

... what i don't get is why don't people invest in body armor in such places. even if it's a low class that only blocks small caliber... still better than nothing.
Body armor isn't exactly comfortable or practical to wear every day. Nor is it a cheap item for just anyone to run out and buy. And most people aren't in the military, who are used to carrying 100 extra pounds of gear everywhere they go.

martial arts isn't 100% useless, but it isn't something that ensures victory either. every situation is different. it's good to know some martial arts plus it's a good work out. it's also good to carry a gun depending on the kind of place you live, so long as you dont have itchy fingers and don't endanger/severely injure innocent people. if you responsible and know your surrounding then power to you, and i hope you never have to kill a civilian.
I didn't mean to infer that I thought MMA is useless. I apologize to everyone in this thread if you took my words that way. I was just saying that when so many people carry guns nowadays (thugs), hand-to-hand MMA stuff won't make much difference when you can get shot from over 15 feet away. Granted, most thugs don't have much training or practice with their firearms, but all it takes is a lucky shot. That's why it's so important to practice and train with whatever method you choose to use.

Those of us who carry a gun don't have itchy trigger fingers. I actually had hoped I never had to draw my gun in my life. But sometimes other people's actions change your hopes. And as for "killing civilians" we're all taught to know our targets and what is beyond. I think TV and movies help to add to people's worries about some huge gunfight with random bullets flying in every direction, including from the police....

But, to get back to the MMA stuff, yes, I'd love to learn something. With my aging body though, I'm not sure what I could learn or use. I think some Krav Maga tactics with weapons retention or disarmament would be a good thing to know. Or a general well-rounded instruction like that which is given to LEO's.

How are blind kids supposed to learn Judo???

They actually have a really good sense of balance and where they are on the mat. I've fought a blind kid in a tournament before and it came down to a draw and the flags ahaha. You basically just start the match with the classic lapel/sleeve grip and begin that way. They learn pretty much purely from feel. You put their body in the right position for pins and throws and chokes and armbars etc. It ends up working surprisingly well.

I practiced Jeet Kune Do hybrid kickboxing for two years at Millsaps College in Jackson, MS. I like to keep up with that training and practice a few weapon katas in my spare time. So my list is:
#1: Jeet Kune Do kickboxing
#2: Nunchaku
#3: Bo staff
#4: Dual daggers (just started)

NCkids

I have been practicing Shotokan since 1989 and have taken 1st place in sparing in the Funicoshi southeast championship in 1996. I also have over a dozen first place metals from various tournaments in the Orlando area. My sensei Roger George trained under the descendents of the great Gichen Funicoshi and placed 2nd in the world martial arts championship in Europe in the late 90's, I don't recall exactly what year. I have not trained formally in several years but I do practice on my own and with the occasional contender. My former school "Shirone karate-do" was located in a converted meat locker in Black Hammock FL. where I trained for 6 years, 6days a week 2 hours per day. My favorite attack by far is the knife hand I trained day in and day out by jabbing bags of sand, pebbles, rocks and eventually solid stone with my fingertips until I could effectively pierce a mans flesh with the jab of a single finger. My sensei’s motto is "It will stop hurting once the pain goes away" ha-ha.
Hi, I believe I know your Shotokan Karate instructor named Roger George.
He is my karate instructor at my current dojo - "Garner Karate-Do". My 8yr old. son and I take Karate lessons from him in Garner, NC. My son is in 2nd year in karate training and currently hold purple belt. I remembered he said he used to have dojo called "Shirone Karate-Do" when he was in Florida. When I read about your karate experience with Sensei George in Fl. and I mentioned to sensei, he actually remembered all well about you - spear hand boy, Jimmy!. His email is - roger@garnerkaratedo.com if you want to contact him.

Hi, I believe I know your Shotokan Karate instructor named Roger George.
He is my karate instructor at my current dojo - "Garner Karate-Do". My 8yr old. son and I take Karate lessons from him in Garner, NC. My son is in 2nd year in karate training and currently hold purple belt. I remembered he said he used to have dojo called "Shirone Karate-Do" when he was in Florida. When I read about your karate experience with Sensei George in Fl. and I mentioned to sensei, he actually remembered all well about you - spear hand boy, Jimmy!. His email is - roger@garnerkaratedo.com if you want to contact him.

Hi NCkids, I thought someone might eventually know sensei George around here, he's taught thousands of students by now I'm sure. I'm glad he remembered me, I'm not positive but I believe I may have been his first student or close to it. Did you join LPF because of an interest of lasers or simply to let me know of this? At any rate I appreciate it! Thank you for the link to his email I will send him a message. We had so many great times training and although I went through some rough times I love the experience I had and wouldn't trade it for the world. He had probably the largest impact in my life of anyone, I started training @ 5yrs. old and left the dojo around 13-14yrs. old., such an impressionable time, I just wish I never left:yabbem: Sensei George is GREAT in many ways which I'm sure you know, he will push you to the breaking point and solidify your will. Kind of deep but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Thanks again for contacting me and I hope you find interest in LPF as well, it's a great source of knowledge of an emerging technology. Take care!

I practice BERETTA & SMITH & WESSON !!! Sorry, but the law says that I'm not allowed to "spar" with anyone made of living human tissue. :gun:
:wave: rob

zaery

I'm a black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do!

Well, i was when i was 12, now i'm out of practice and that was kid's Tae-Kwon-Do.
Maybe it was more like 10 though.....

Benm

I practice BERETTA & SMITH & WESSON !!!

I agree - when it comes to physical violence, use the most effective tool available ;)

I'd nomiate glock as a tool of choice here, but its the general concept that matters, right? ;)

Last edited:
No matter what martial art you practice & how fast you can move, you will never, ever be able to dodge, avoid, or counter move, a well aimed bullet. You will just be DEAD. rob
I saw a TEE shirt once that had the cross-hairs in a rifle scope, centered on a persons outline in the distance, & the shirt read, "don't bother to run, you'll just die tired"