Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What martial arts do you practice?

I don't need to practice martial arts, I have yet to see ANYBODY that practices martial arts, have the speed, agility, or knowledge, (except in the movies), to be able to dodge a bullet from an able shooter, with even a half decent weapon. Isn't that right, Hemlock Mike ?

I practice Kickboxing. Surprisingly to some, mentioning no names :whistle:, I don't practice it to dodge bullets, although partly the reason is for defense, but not defense alone. I also practice for exercise and I enjoy the community that the club represents.

Pacific International Tae kwon do for 3yrs. Got up to green belt blue tip and got bored so I quit.
I might try Judo once I finish school.

Gata

I want to get into mixed martial arts. I just can't locate a place around here that does it.

Since I watched The Matrix I always wanted to learn Kung Fu.. Hopefully I will in the next years.

HIMNL9

What is a martial art ? ..... a military painter opera ?

..... LOL, J/K ..... no martial arts here, just some self-learned training with knifes, swords, rifles and guns ..... and i'm better with guns than that with knifes, anyway :p :D

Why bring hands to a gun fight? In today's world you'd be much safer if you invested in a pistol and a concealed carry liscense...

HIMNL9

LOL, usual translation errors from Italian to English, like the "battery" one ..... my bad .....

Gun = pistola (handgun, revolver or pistol)

Rifle = fucile (carabine, long gun, whatever you call it :p)

I had to specify "handgun" better .....

Anyway, in my personal idea, the use of a handgun is the last resource, ever ..... first, always try to not fight, any way is good ..... if with normal person can be helpful the reason, with abnormal peoples also some crazy pose can work (one time i avoided to fight with two half-drunk idiots that was searching for troubles, just coming out from the car with a crowbar in hand, making a crazy face, and starting to walk against them shouting "blood, finally, yippee ....come here, you two, give me your blood, make me happy", and so on ..... you had to see how much quickly they reentered in the car and runned away :p) ..... if the other insist to fight, try first with non-lethal defenses (taser, mace spray, unconventional weapons .....) ..... but if the opponent take out a gun and aim at you, and there's absolutely no way for avoid to use it, well ..... i always keep at my life more than what i keep at my opponent life, after all :p

Well lets see boxing, I won the a Golden gloves in 2002 , I also finished 2nd in the metro finals 2004, I did some kickboxing, Muay Thai, and some
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu about 1 year each also some military training!

I have been practicing Shotokan since 1989 and have taken 1st place in sparing in the Funicoshi southeast championship in 1996. I also have over a dozen first place metals from various tournaments in the Orlando area. My sensei Roger George trained under the descendents of the great Gichen Funicoshi and placed 2nd in the world martial arts championship in Europe in the late 90's, I don't recall exactly what year. I have not trained formally in several years but I do practice on my own and with the occasional contender. My former school "Shirone karate-do" was located in a converted meat locker in Black Hammock FL. where I trained for 6 years, 6days a week 2 hours per day. My favorite attack by far is the knife hand I trained day in and day out by jabbing bags of sand, pebbles, rocks and eventually solid stone with my fingertips until I could effectively pierce a mans flesh with the jab of a single finger. My sensei’s motto is "It will stop hurting once the pain goes away" ha-ha.

Well, I have been doing boxing from 10-12 (I am turning 22), then I did Muay Thai from 12-15, then I did Jiu-Jutsu for 2-3 years. By the time I was 18 I was already taking MMA classes and still am.

5 years of kenpo, and 4 of escrima. Never cared for learning the katas in order to progress through belt colors, just wanted to fight. We stopped wearing gees after the first year and trained in sweats or street wear, because you don't walk around in gees. Gave up on traditional escrima for real contact stick fighting after I saw a Dog Brothers demonstration..."A higher level of consciousness through full contact" is there motto.

Last edited:

EzPk

I did Judo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for a couple years. Then I moved and it's quite expensive for a month to month thing. So now I just build lasers in my garage to fill my time :D

martial arts can't stop a bullet, but you dont always have time to pull out a gun. another major fact everyone ignores is ricochet and high penetration. you can't guarantee your gun will stop in their tummy and not hit the person behind nor can ANYONE say they are a 100% marksman. sometimes it's safer for passer bys and safer especially for those that you care about near by.

i for one believe in nonlethal force and guns are a last resort. i carry pepper spray and a baton. if someone pulls a gun on me, i'm screwed i won't deny that. even if i had a gun, unless i pull it first im screwed. unless i walk around like a typical prideful male bitch flaunting it around cuz i lack a pair, i probably wont be the first to have it out... fact is there will always be dangers. preemptive and preventive can become very blurred.

i think martial arts is good for flexibility and body control. either way it's a good work out.

i for one learned muay thai from my friend and i condition my shins. i'm not a masterful fighter, but my form and skill is better than a typical thug that throws haymakers. that's pretty much all i train for really.

Well, I have been doing boxing from 10-12 (I am turning 22), then I did Muay Thai from 12-15, then I did Jiu-Jutsu for 2-3 years. By the time I was 18 I was already taking MMA classes and still am.

Sounds to me like we pretty much study the same arts I bet we would have some fun sparing!!!

Peace
-Sarge

Dusty

I did Judo through school for about 6 or 7 years, got my brown belt, then went on to do Bushido Ju-Jitsu for a while, ended up getting orange belt before getting glandular fever in my final year of school. I never really got back into it after that. Also did a small amount of unarmed combat with the cadets, but that doesnt really count as it wasnt any specific martial art...

I was at the beach with my best friend(Golden Gloves champ) and we were sparing with each other and some random guy came by running his mouth saying he could beat the both of us up and that he was a kickboxer and he said he wanted to box one of us . So we agreed to it I sat this one out because my friend was more in his weight class 165 pounds. My friend is the dark skinned one in the white and blue shorts the video says the rest lol :YouTube - Jones Beach Knock Out

Last edited: