Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

What is your internet connection speed?

Mediacom apparently upgraded their service. I notice something was downloading at over 1 MB/s the other day. A look at their website revealed 3, 12 and 20 mbit services instead of 3, 8 and 15.

This is my latest test.

i tested this while i was at work and my laptop connected directly with an ethernet cable

if not connected.. the wireless gets about this:

sadly my wifi at home isn't as fast... oh well.

mines is ADSL 2+ aswell 24mb downstream speed (not to be confused with download speed!).. on a 30 gig plan we pay $29.99 this is the speed!

We have bad wiring in our house and in 2 weeks we are getting most of it replaced so hopefully we see a bigger improvement!

We pay for 20Mb down and 5Mb up, but this is over wifi on a wireless g router, we are thinking of lowering to 10Mb down and getting a high speed wireless n router so it will still be about the same over wifi.
***AND REMEMBER*** this tells you in megaBITS per second, but things like browsers and download programs tell you in megaBYTES per second. so just divide by 8 to find out how fast you could download something. so i would have 20/8=2.5 so i could download a 2.5 megabyte file in 1 second.

Damn, nice speeds. Here in canada they throttle a lot of stuff.
So I have a dual-wan DSL setup. (multi-link PPP) through teksavvy (3rd party)

Mainly to defeat bell throttling. Plus I get 200GB per line so 400GB / month total.
Compared to bells crappy 60gb

I get about 8.5 mbps down / 1.3 mbps up

64$ per month including static ip.

Last edited:
Ah, this is an old thread. Lets see how I'm doing:

Still absurdly fast, still absurdly expensive...

£14 per Month, as long as you have a telephone package as well (starting at £11 per month)

I live near london.
Using SpeedTest.Net i got..

18.12 Mb/s Download
0.66 Mb/s Upload
Ping 30.

Virgin media ftw! :D

Here in North Iowa, I just got connected with fiber to the home. WOW
My little connection icon says Connected -- 1 Gb/s HOWEVER, the test is a different story.

3.011 Mb/s Down
0.731 Mb/s Up
Ping -- 38

$65 / Mo

HMike

Back