Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

What is your internet connection speed?

Mine should be ~7Mb/s, but as with most public ISPs, it fluctuates some by day, time of day, etc. When I first went with Qwest DSL, I thought 1.5Mb/s was awesome compared to 56k dialup (lol), and it went offline a lot with issues on outside Qwest equipment. They also used to carry DirecTV signals over the same wire pair, but they dropped that in order increase DSL capacity. Since they switched me to 7Mb/s, which is great, I never have probs with it.

635732673.png

Yeah, your LAN connection speed is at the ethernet or phone line on your PC (or what the wireless connection sees on your laptop at the moment). If you have a router, that's the speed your router is communicating to your PC. Mine also shows 1Gb/s. Your actual connection speed is between your modem and the remote server, whatever that is at the time, often limited by the modem itself or your ISP.

Dang, I like some of those double and triple digits some of you are getting.

roosl said:
Dang, I like some of those double and triple digits some of you are getting.

I'm runnin a motorola SB5102 with haxorware and a comcast config :o I pay for comcast, I just like tweaking my speed.

What? Runnin haxorware in md can enable docsis THREE. I just think the amount of time I'd spend tweaking wouldn't be worth a.) the trouble I'd get into for using a test line and b.) the speed that I'd never use anyway (besides playing with torrent ratios, lol)

Here's the results after moving to Biloxi, MS.

And here's the results for a location farther away.

Last edited:
8.3MB/s down,
.65 up
312ms ping
this is with a movie downloading, my ping is usually around 100, and with online games I can usually get below 75.

Right now its only $20/month.

nice
right now I live in a small (but on average pretty wealthy) town so my connection is about average for america. However, I am soon moving to san antonio where the fiber optics and unprotected wi-fi will be plentiful (not that passwords ever stopped me :P)

I have 56Mb's down, and 8Mbs up. But this old laptop I have only uses about half.

Back