LPF Site Supporter
- Oct 14, 2012
"V3tronix" Telescoping Mech Mod Build
Here's a little build thread for a laser that I've had for a while, it's based on a "V3tronix" telescoping mech mod (clone), coupled with a DTR 22mm 510 adapter, and using the beautiful NDG700 520nm diode.
This is pretty much a simple straightforward "plug n play" build, with the added wiring mods to the 22mm h.s./ module and an added battery extension.
This particular mech mod isn't my first choice for this build; I originally had picked out a beauty of a chrome plated, side button model that I modded to allow for the extra length required of the (2) 18350 batteries.
It turned out fantastic ....for about 4~5 power on cycles. The problem turned out to be that it used an electronic side switch which glowed, and flashed different colors to show the amount of battery charge.
The issue was that this mod was built to use only (1) Li-Ion cell at a maximum of 4.2V;
I was feeding it twice that amount, and I accidently let all the smoke out of it, and you all know that it's almost impossible to put it all back in.
This is never a good thing, but this particular mod happened to come with a spare switch, so I can re-use it as a single cell powered unit.
Anyway, ....getting back to this build, I ended up using this model because of it being a telescoping mod, it will accomodate multiple battery lengths; this mod will work with 18500, 18650, and 18650 with an added "kick".
Not being a "vaper", I had never heard of a "kick" before, but a kick is an electronic module which sits atop of the battery to provide adjustable voltage for the mech mods.
This style of mod/host isn't my favorite, and it probably won't be some of you guys either, especially the minimalist host design folks, but it does the job, and it kind of grows on you.
It is a stainless steel mod with CNC engraved designs on it, and three holes (vents) where you can see the battery that is in it.
It also has a safety locking tailcap switch, where you need to push and rotate to unlock it, a nice feature.
Components Used For This Build:
- V3tronix Mech. Mod.
- NDG700 520nm diode/module w/G-2 Lens (DTR).
- Modified 22mm 510 Adapter V-2 (DTR).
- '510' Style Finned Heatsink.
- Battery Extension.
- AW 18350 IMR 700mAh Batteries (2).
Dimensions & Weight:
- Length (as set-up) = 175mm
- Diameter = 25.6mm
- Weight W/Batteries = 272g
Measured Power Output:
- With G-2 Lens = 1,037mW (1,142mW Max.)
Added finned S.S. heatsink, used mostly for aesthetic purposes.
V3tronix Mech Mod disassembled.
These next 4 photos show how I like to wire my DTR 22mm modules.
I'm not a real fan of the 'pinch' method of attaching my wires, although I've used it before; I just more confident with this type of connection.
Posing with some blurry flowers.
LPM test results.
Got to have a few BeamZ!!!
Last but not least, a couple of outdoor shots :beer:
Threading the beam between the pine branches.
Thanks for taking a look! :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.