Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tutorial: Yellow Pointer Project - Cool!

HIMNL9

Re: Yellow Pointer Project - Cool!

That "extra optic", btw, it's a dichroic mirror set up for 405nm ..... i've tried with red, br and green, it reflect partially red and green, and reflect practically 100% of BR ..... turning the modules, the reflection of red is very little influenced, and no influence for the reflection of BR, so probably is not polarized .....

Anyway, using it as filter for green is a good example of "alternative use" of objects that was built for different things (only take care about back reflections, cause after all, it's still a mirror, also if set up for a specific wavelenght).

BTW, it also seem take away some of the IR, not done measures cause don't have the time at the moment, but looking a green module with a cam, it look like a good part of the IR "halo" that you can see pointing it on a black surface, disappear when you pass the beam through it :)

Damn you Jayrob, always cool stuff. Keep the modifications coming!

jayrob

Very nice Jay Kudos to you Bud, I was going to offer a kit like this but I think not now, this one is better....

Thanks for the compliment! :)

That "extra optic", btw, it's a dichroic mirror set up for 405nm ..... i've tried with red, br and green, it reflect partially red and green, and reflect practically 100% of BR ..... turning the modules, the reflection of red is very little influenced, and no influence for the reflection of BR, so probably is not polarized .....

Anyway, using it as filter for green is a good example of "alternative use" of objects that was built for different things (only take care about back reflections, cause after all, it's still a mirror, also if set up for a specific wavelenght).

BTW, it also seem take away some of the IR, not done measures cause don't have the time at the moment, but looking a green module with a cam, it look like a good part of the IR "halo" that you can see pointing it on a black surface, disappear when you pass the beam through it :)

I was thinking about reflection too....

And I concluded that since the green is already passing through the turning mirror, before it reaches this 'dichroic mirror' (thanks for identifying it), there is very little chance of any reflection going to the green module.

Because it would hit the mirror side of the turning mirror, and not pass through much, if at all...

Anyway, as I mentioned, I did not know what the optic was for, only that I could not measure any loss on my meter for red, and only measured a 1mW loss for green. So it seems to be the perfect little 'helper' for giving more 'yellow' on the blend for this mod! :cool:

Edit: See here for pictures of the result using this dichroic mirror mod:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/yellow-pointer-project-cool-44427-2.html#post595754

Last edited:

jayrob

hey jay, I thought to use 10440/aa size 3.7 volts with spacer with diode in it so it is down the volt to 3v..
this is the main reason i didnt followed his tutorial. (batteries)

ofek.

I think what he is saying is he would like it better if he could use a rechargable 3.7 aaa and a silicone diode to drop it down to 3v's. Then you
wouldn't have to buy new batteries all the time. You could also use different diodes and get the voltage where you need it to be to get a nice yellow. I think somebody mentioned it in rogs original thread.

Nice job BTW!

--Hydro15

Hey just to update that I did test this idea with a 10440 battery and a single silicon diode to drop voltage...

It works just great! I tried first with two diodes in series, but it needed a little more voltage under the load of both lasers on. It works great using 1 silicon diode... :cool:

Edit: See here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/yellow-pointer-project-cool-44427-2.html#post593629

Last edited:

Hey just to update that I did test this idea with a 10440 battery and a single silicon diode to drop voltage...

It works just great! I tried first with two diodes in series, but it needed a little more voltage under the load of both lasers on. It works great with 1 diode... :cool:

Thats great! I wish I had the skills to do something like this. I still can't get that turning mirror aligned properly on my 7 color laser. I've made the "smoke in a bottle" and was using the 5 minute epoxy that was recommended. Any ideas?:confused:

Kind of thread jacked you there but whatever...

--Hydro15

It works just great! I tried first with two diodes in series, but it needed a little more voltage under the load of both lasers on. It works great with 1 diode... :cool:

Thats great! I wish I had the skills to do something like this. I still can't get that turning mirror aligned properly on my 7 color laser. I've made the "smoke in a bottle" and was using the 5 minute epoxy that was recommended. Any ideas?:confused:

Kind of thread jacked you their but whatever...

--Hydro15

Nice job, jayrob! Very cleanly/professionally done.

Perhaps it is time to start offering this in kit form? :shhh:

jayrob

Well, phoenix77 talked me into selling him the custom tip and cap with some copper wire, but I did not want to do the build...

Getting the turning mirrors to align is a very tedious and time consuming chore.

I think that most would give up on the project. I almost gave up on it...

But it is so nice if you can get it right... :cool:

hydrogenman15, that's the hardest part... Getting the turning mirror just right. In his thread, sightfx gives some good tips, and also has a good drawing to illustrate what to look for in getting the dots/beams aligned...

Last edited:

Well, phoenix77 talked me into selling him the custom tip and cap with some copper wire, but I did not want to do the build...

Getting the turning mirrors to align is a very tedious and time consuming chore.

I think that most would give up on the project. I almost did! But it is very cool when you get it right... :cool:

hydrogenman15, that's the hardest part... Getting the turning mirror just right. In his thread, sightfx gives some good tips, and also has a good drawing to illustrate what to look for in getting the dots/beams aligned...

Have you considered starting selling the custom tips? I'm sure many people would try to attempt this mod even if it's hard to align beams.

Hey Jay, in your tutorial about this great little mod, could you include pix of what the other battery set-up looks like. The one with the single re-chargeable battery, please ? Thanks Jay, this sure is a GREAT little mod for this dual pointer..............rob

Nice one Jay, this build is still one of my favourites :)
Is the green still pulsed on these pointers? It is the only thing that spoils it when you move the pointer and get the dotted yellow red:(

Regards rog8811

jayrob

Hey Jay, in your tutorial about this great little mod, could you include pix of what the other battery set-up looks like. The one with the single re-chargeable battery, please ? Thanks Jay, this sure is a GREAT little mod for this dual pointer..............rob

Sure thing Rob...

10440 Battery Mod:

Here's a nice modification for using a rechargeable 10440 battery instead of the stock batteries.

This modification uses a silicon diode (1N4001) to drop voltage on the 10440...

YP15.jpg

YP16.jpg

YP17.jpg

YP18.jpg

YP19.jpg

YP20.jpg

YP21.jpg

YP22.jpg

Current Draw:

With this mod (using the silicon diode), the battery current draw on the 10440 battery, with both lasers on, is 175mA's... It is the same current draw using the 2 X 'N' size stock batteries. (with no silicon diode) This tells me that the dual driver board on this little pointer is regulating very well! :) (or this mod mimics the stock batteries perfectly)

Now you have a choice of using the standard 'N' size batteries, or a 10440 rechargeable. Because as you can see from the pictures, the plastic sleeve that holds the custom spacer in place, is easily removable! :cool:

Hope you like it! :)

Last edited:

jayrob

Nice one Jay, this build is still one of my favourites :)
Is the green still pulsed on these pointers? It is the only thing that spoils it when you move the pointer and get the dotted yellow red:(

Regards rog8811

Thanks Rog! :thanks:

And especially for showing us how to do it! It is an awesome project if you have the patience for getting the mirrors adjusted...

I can move it back and forth (fast or slow) and don't notice any dotted yellow red, so I would guess that no, the green is not pulsed.

I had it apart, and was impressed with how they got two lasers in there with a single board. I had it apart so that I could make sure nothing was going to move using Arctic silver adhesive. So if I ever want to take it apart, it's going to be a real hassle.

I wanted to make sure that nothing would move, and I glued the head on as well. While I had it apart, I used some small dabs of silicone glue to put around the button switches to keep them from rattling...

It's a really nice little project Rog, and again, thanks for showing it. It is also one of my favorites! :)

Last edited:

HEY JAY, Your battery mod is pure simplicity & genius at the same time. Like all your works, very smooth, & very clean & tight. Thanks for taking the time to document the battery mod, indeed the entire project, with so many pix to augment the instructions. VERY PROFESSIONAL................rob

jayrob

:thanks:... :)

Hope you can get the mirrors aligned on your project...

It's a pain!

Last edited: