Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Time Travel

i dont see how its relevance is relevant :thinking:

thats the thing... the relevance is only relevant to my post to "tux" the post before mine. you're the one bringing stephen hawking and cognition into this:na:

michael

i think that article is mostly suggesting that time may not exist as literally as we thought it did. however, it still seems that in some sense there must be a time. otherwise, how would something undergo a change of state? theres entropy change, but you need time to explain the entropic rate of change. then again, i dont believe theres an expression for the rate of change of time exactly? except for that tied into relativity. and then its just linked to relative velocity. which itself is linked to the speed of light. perhaps then, time must be linked to energy. relative motions of energy? think of visualising time as a stream. if you go with the stream, at some point the stream wont be moving relative to you, and so someone else standing still in the stream will see you as not moving with respect to the stream. the problem with this analogy perhaps, is that of you looking at the observer. they will seem to be moving against a stationary body of water. however, if we take away the analogy of the stream moving in a physical direction, since time doesnt move in a certain physical direction ofc, then maybe it could work. but the rate of change of time is still related to a physical component, relative velocity. but, time isnt dependant on which direction that relative velocity is. hence, perhaps it only depends on speed. someone needs to set up an experiment to measure time dilation based on curved routes lol.

perhaps the stream figuratively goes in the direction of the relative object. that'd work. and its reminiscent of gravity between objects. maybe time exists similarly, as an object to object interaction?

Last edited:

ped

I was looking through the TV listings, and i set a reminder.. Back to the future, its on tomorrow on tv channel "Yesterday+1"

WTF???

I don't think it's been mentioned, but Einstien already developed the forumla for Time Travel. It's called the Time dilation effect. But only applies to time in the forward direction and only affects objects in any appreciable way as they approach the speed of light.

Basically

Time for an observer is equal to Time multiplied by the squareroot of 1 minus the velocity squared (v^2) over the speed of light squared (c^2).

So the closer you get to the speed of light the more radical the difference in relative time. If you could excede the speed of light then time, according to the theory jumps into the realm of imaginary numbers. (squareroot of -1)

HIMNL9

I don't think it's been mentioned, but Einstien already developed the forumla for Time Travel. It's called the Time dilation effect. But only applies to time in the forward direction and only affects objects in any appreciable way as they approach the speed of light.

Then, it's easy to travel in the past, too ..... travel at near light speed, but BACKWARD ..... :na:

Just kidding :p :D

I'm getting a Donny Darko flashback. :eek:

I think we are all in a simulation, and time travel is just a thought to keep our minds off of the things that are running the sim. The big ban was actually them turning on the sim, and setting the parameters for our lives to be played out. I'm haunted be the number 327, and I truly believe it is the number of the machine running the sim I'm in. The parallel universes are just more sims, with different parameters. After all, life is just energy, and energy can easily be manipulated.

Are You Living in a Computer Simulation?

Good point with the simulations idea, but what if the simulations are made by people/things living also in a simulated universe, and so on...? So, there is a level for any reality starting at... level 0 ! Again the absolute bigbang! ;)

In this universe laws, (which ones that can be observed at any point in the known universe) thing move only in one direction, forward. And this forward direction is determined by entropy, every system left alone tends *globally* to increase its entropy (lets say its disorder level). And that is inherent to matter/energy/space.

Time, energy and space are the same thing, and none of them can exist without the others. Anyway they are elastic, you can bend some of them but you can't break it, even in a blackhole (the most powerful beast of the universe).

We will know much more on this when they find the Higgs particle in the LHC. This has a definite point to say on what really mass/gravity are made of, and about entropy. Time goes only forward, you can bend it locally, but no way to break it to go to past. No way to leave alone a pack of cards and hope they order by itselves, and if they do, they will be older, thus increasing entropy again. :)

ups, got a headache :confused:

HIMNL9

Naah, it's easy to understand if you're in a simulation ..... try to do something absolutely and totally crazy and unpredictable ..... if you reach, then you're not in a simulation, if instead you're in a simulation, you don't reach to do it, cause a simulation can contain only things that was predicted and considered from the programmer ..... :p :D

(now, you only need to imagine something to do, absolutely and totally crazy and unpredictable ..... :p :crackup:)

If a hamster is offered 3 tubes to pass down, then it has a choice. But in reality the choices are configured by an outside entity. So freedom is just an illusion of the choices presented to you. I could go jump out my window, but keep in mind the window is there for me to jump out. I could jump off my porch, but the porch is already there to start with.

The latest Sims game shows the family playing an older Sims game. Do they know they are in a game?

The whole philosophy is based on how technology progresses. If human kind makes it to post-humanity, then there is a 20% possibility they will run simulations to find out exactly how they got that far, and what the process where. By then we will have AI, and organic computer systems. We are already running computer analysis, and simulations on everything we dont understand. Its not a far stretch that our future fathers will be doing the same thing. Only with organic super computers. Maybe GOD is the programmer. Who knows.

You have to admit that certain people/things in the past can look like they were planted. People blame aliens, I think its more than that. I think people like Hawking, Einstein, and the people who gave us math, art, music, ect were carefully added to the equation.

I'm not religious about this, but I have seen, and experienced many things in my life that can be explained with the simulation theory, and nothing else. Well, except GOD, and aliens. How do you explain Karma? I know for a fact it exists, and have seen it happen more times than not. Can you explain this force? Or do you label act of GOD on things you cant comprehend? Like miracles.

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Hey, that was not my guilty ..... Einstein and all the rest, yes, but religions was all your inventions, i never added anything similar when i programmed your simul .....

..... er .....

..... nevermind, don't pay attention to that what i've said, it does not exist, ok ? :whistle:

Damn ..... *CTRL+ALT+DEL*
*BEEP*
> Are you sure you want to reset the simulation "World01.sml" and restart the last backup ? (Y/N) y
> Proceeding, please wait . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
*BEEP*
> Done. Simulation resetted and backup restarted.

:p :crackup:

Pilgor

Tech beat me too it, I wanted to make a Donnie Darko reference.:gun:

I also liked the theory that there are multiple universes, and going back in time and doing something to change the future is simply another universe, and does not affect the original from which you came.