Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

There is Something "Wrong" With My Beam/Spot

daguin

second picture i am not worried so much about the circle patterns inside the beam...moreso the sliver on the left.

It appears that the diode is not in perfect alignment
You are getting a reflection off of the module
The diode may not have been completely pressed into the module or the module may be "imperfect"
In any event, this is not tragic.
It is not harming the laser
It will not hurt its ability to burn

Peace,
dave

IMAG1223.jpg

I've got another weird dot... It looks like a coil in the middle... Any ideas?

Sta

My 445 dot looks like your ~30ft at 3ft. Focusing it does not seem to have any effect. Is something wrong with the diode?

DTR

Maybe post a picture of the raw output of the diode without the lens up on a wall and then with the lens on. The raw picture would tell if there is something with the diode and if that is fine then the other would give an idea if it is the lens.:beer:

Sta

Okay. Here's the spot at ~15 ft.
The purple spots are a camera defect.
6f3uqc.jpg

And the raw diode output (arm not included):
eulrw7.jpg

Last edited:

ARG

I posted that image in IRC and someone suggested that it was some internal maybe deep cavity reflection.

DTR

Ok so it is not the lens. Either there is a real problem with the diodes window. Maybe shake it a little listening if it is loose. Or you have some damage to the lasing cavity on the diode. If it is the window you will need to take extraordinary means as in removing the diode from the module and decanning it and if it is the lasing cavity then may it rest in piece.:(

ARG

Sta, would it be possible to take a picture of the diode in the module, from both sides?

Sta

I have tried every means possible to remove the module, but there is a wire connecting it to the host. I am not sure how to get it out.

Lightbarer.wm

Yep. Thank you. I've seen this one myself :yabbem:

It took me a few minutes to figure out what I had done ;)

Peace,
dave

I’m new here and just bought my first blue Gatlin 2 watt laser. I’m not happy with the focusing lens and want to replace it with the best one I can get but I’m not sure which one to buy. I have a rotating adjuster on the front that moves the lens back and forth. But I’d like to put in a lens that gives me a tighter beam at long range and then be able to adjust the lens to focus at close range for max burning power. Can you or someone else help?

Lightbarer.wm

This entire thread has been dead since 2014.
Please do not necropost on dead threads if you have nothing new to add/contribute--is very frowned upon on LPF.
I ask a question. If the thread isn’t relevant then why is it still posted. If you don’t have the answer then simply state that fact.
I can easily see the date of the thread Einstein

When I first joined, I found a thread by searching with google which brought me to LPF, I then registered to add a question to the thread with the same result, I necroposted and received whippings with a wet noodle. Welcome to LPF, many members don’t like bringing threads which are years old and waking the dead. So most won’t post to old threads now. A lot of forums on the net have the same consensus, what I don’t understand is why they aren’t locked after a year to prevent posting to them. I’ve suggested this a couple of times, no change.

I’ve griped over necroposting in the past too, we have had a banned member doing that just to annoy us, we never know whether someone doing this is a troll, or someone new, so the noodle whip is often used. I would be projecting to say that is what happened this time though.

Last edited:

Coonie

We come to a few conflicts here. Often it's said that people should do their own searches first which is what lightbarer has done. However he revived a long dead thread where most of the participating members aren't even active anymore. Necroposting is very hard to determine what is acceptable as it relates to opinions rather than a set standard.
Also being sarcastic such as saying "einstein" will just make things worse. I'd suggest just making your own thread and avoid the attitude as you're asking for help.