Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

There is Something "Wrong" With My Beam/Spot

HitShane

daguin

second picture i am not worried so much about the circle patterns inside the beam...moreso the sliver on the left.

It appears that the diode is not in perfect alignment
You are getting a reflection off of the module
The diode may not have been completely pressed into the module or the module may be "imperfect"
In any event, this is not tragic.
It is not harming the laser
It will not hurt its ability to burn

Peace,
dave

Sta

My 445 dot looks like your ~30ft at 3ft. Focusing it does not seem to have any effect. Is something wrong with the diode?

DTR

LPF Site Supporter
Maybe post a picture of the raw output of the diode without the lens up on a wall and then with the lens on. The raw picture would tell if there is something with the diode and if that is fine then the other would give an idea if it is the lens.:beer:

Sta

Okay. Here's the spot at ~15 ft.
The purple spots are a camera defect.

And the raw diode output (arm not included):

Last edited:

ARG

I posted that image in IRC and someone suggested that it was some internal maybe deep cavity reflection.

DTR

LPF Site Supporter
Ok so it is not the lens. Either there is a real problem with the diodes window. Maybe shake it a little listening if it is loose. Or you have some damage to the lasing cavity on the diode. If it is the window you will need to take extraordinary means as in removing the diode from the module and decanning it and if it is the lasing cavity then may it rest in piece.:(

ARG

Sta, would it be possible to take a picture of the diode in the module, from both sides?

Sta

I have tried every means possible to remove the module, but there is a wire connecting it to the host. I am not sure how to get it out.