Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

There is Something "Wrong" With My Beam/Spot

Hmm. Probably are talking about different things then. I've never seen a square that 'comes and goes' before, beyond going in and out of focus anyway. Though I honestly don't do a lot of refocusing of mine since I don't 'burn' etc. Mine pretty much get set to infinity and left there. I also have never tried an acrylic lens on a 445 either. I thought you were talking about the 'die outline'.

Last edited:

Okay, so I get that the 445nm diodes are going to be rectangular/possibly hourglass shaped or whatever other irregular shape, but what about the output of a handheld laser like the spartan 1w (dragonlasers) or the rifle 1.2w (lazerer)? Will the beam be noticeably rectangular or appear as a line at the dot? I want to get a nice laser to burn with like a lot of other people, but I do care about the beam too. I want a nice crisp looking beam and a round dot.

DTR

Okay, so I get that the 445nm diodes are going to be rectangular/possibly hourglass shaped or whatever other irregular shape, but what about the output of a handheld laser like the spartan 1w (dragonlasers) or the rifle 1.2w (lazerer)? Will the beam be noticeably rectangular or appear as a line at the dot? I want to get a nice laser to burn with like a lot of other people, but I do care about the beam too. I want a nice crisp looking beam and a round dot.

The hourglass effect is only when the lens is in backwards. If you want a nice round dot then you need to look as some of the lower power single mode diodes. All handhelds made with the 1W+ 445's will have a line output due to the mulitmode nature of the diodes unless you can find one or have someone build you one with some sort of corrective optics in it.

You could go with a single mode 405nm, 445nm or a 660nm but they would be considerable less visible.:beer:

Last edited:
Alright, thanks for the response and suggestions. I will keep my further discussions of this elsewhere to keep this thread on topic.

Hi, I'm adding these "there is something wrong" pics, just because this (new) diode acted so weird. Don't know what happened to it, already experienced this?

Without lens
without_lens_Vga.JPG

Max unfocused glass lens
lens_max_unfocused_Vga.JPG

Rectangle
lens_rectangle_focus_x16_Vga.JPG

Looks like a VERY dirty diode window, have you tried cleaning the diode window, and lens?

If not, that's the first step. Start off with compressed air, if that doesn't help, a lens cleaning cloth, wet with rubbing alcohol, and wipe the diode window VERY gently, then wipe again to try.

All that said... kind of a cool pattern :D

Looks like a VERY dirty diode window, have you tried cleaning the diode window, and lens?

If not, that's the first step. Start off with compressed air, if that doesn't help, a lens cleaning cloth, wet with rubbing alcohol, and wipe the diode window VERY gently, then wipe again to try.

All that said... kind of a cool pattern :D

^^ I thought the same, Kinda looks like a Tesla Coil discharge, or plasma globe! :thinking:

In the last pic, it really looks like something is burned onto the diode window. I'm curious to see the results after cleaning.

The first one... almost looks like a bat (I just watched the movie over the weekend so my judgement may be off :p).

The last one, IDK, tesla coil, or something out of sci fi.

Khamien - did this happen from 'minute one' of the build, "out of the box" or something that happened gradually?

You don't happen to live in a humid environment do you? I'm with Infinitius on this, but the reason I ask is, in humid environments, with my cameras, i've had to deal with 'lens fungus', which actually attacks AR coatings of lenses. That last pattern kind of looks like that. Long shot, but possible.

Last edited:
Hi, these pics were the last taken after air and cloth cleaning, cool but so wrong beam, as this was a "first seconds problem" I already shipped back and got it exchanged from the nice seller. Adding he tested this 445 1452mW OK before shipping, very well packed to my overseas warm and dry mediterranean weather. So my only guess is that the diode "micro shredded? lol" during the 7 days shipping, probably didn't bear the fly, altitude, cold, or customs? :p Was amazed so even silly tried reversing the lens:
P1100214.jpg

P1100212.jpg

On last post 3 patterns: 1'digit'bat /2: don't you see a face in it!? /3 so weird radiance, Ill avatar it...)
cheers

Onryo

Yes the bat wings as I like to call them. ( - ) Are from some of the light hitting the edge of the lens housing and reflecting in that half moon shape on each side which is parallel with the raw bar like output of the diode.;)

Hmmm...would it help get rid of the "bat wings" (post 12 ... lol not the one above) if the inside of the barrel was non reflective? Something like flat black used to paint BBQ grill stuff. The G-2 I got off of you does not seem to have this problem. Clean nice beam. Could be I always have my goggles on when I look at the dot... rectangle. maybe I just lucked out?

Last edited:

DTR

Hmmm...would it help get rid of the "bat wings" (post 12 ... lol not the one above) if the inside of the barrel was non reflective? Something like flat black used to paint BBQ grill stuff. The G-2 I got off of you does not seem to have this problem. Clean nice beam. Could be I always have my goggles on when I look at the dot... rectangle. maybe I just lucked out?

The G-2 gets the lens element close enough to the diode it collects all the light where the three element lens sits further away ans some of the bar shaped output hits the sides of the barrel which is why you gets some spray.;)

I just bought a 1.5 rifle from laserer, it was working fine for two days and this morning the diode stopped burning and now it looks like the diode is messed up. It could be that the batteries are dying and the dot was just to bright to notice before, but i didnt buy it with the batteries, i bought these duracell non rechargables and im to broke to go by more...
photo3dh.jpg

(hard to see from the picture but the dot is a lot smaller and not as bright with a bigger rectangle)

Last edited:
Save up and buy some rechargeables. Im sure yours are dead after two days of playing with your new toy :)

Edit: Unless you didn't follow the run times and ran it until the diode degraded...

Last edited:
You are talking about the small dot above and to the left of main one?

I dunno. What laser is that, can it be taken apart and inspected?

Are you using any focus adapters? What lens are you using, as well? Can you inspect it real close and tell if there's any crap on it?

Warning, don't breathe on the diode or optics. It's gonna make it worse.