Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Improved and the Greatly Improved Arctic Mod

daguin

As you may have noticed from the post above, I have now done this to a G2 version.
The internal measurements are the same.
The heat sink does not need to be altered.

There is a "blob" of epoxy holding the "smart switch" in place that must be removed (mechanically). Once that is out of the way, the heat sink I designed will work with the G2 as well.

Peace,
dave

My Artic is about 6 months old. The " later" version with current updates. A week after I took it apart and had to soder all the contacts over again. The board had chip wasn't too bad. If tightened the lense beyond a certain point it would cause the driver to shut off. I recoated the outer surface of the lense cap. I love the host but a $300 POS..

jayrob

I sent your heatsinks today Dave...

Great job on this mod once again! :cool:

Last edited:

JTodd

I am looking for another laser to add to my collection. I have found the blue 445nm I have to be quite useful. It runs around 900mw but is not adjustable in power. If anyone has a laser for sale, let me know, I would be interested in a green or blue with a min. output 500mw. Found some for sale with Protective Eyewear, but I already have a couple of sets from OEM lasers (I spent more on them than I did my oakleys :( LOL anyway, have anything you think might work for me shoot me an email please. extremeopsgear@gmail.com

And Great work Dave on the Arctic Mod......WOW thats impressive.

JT

Encap

Is Al good enough heat sink wise or would copper be better. Do you think it would make a difference if the massive heat sink was all copper?

daguin

I am looking for another laser to add to my collection. I have found the blue 445nm I have to be quite useful. It runs around 900mw but is not adjustable in power. If anyone has a laser for sale, let me know, I would be interested in a green or blue with a min. output 500mw. Found some for sale with Protective Eyewear, but I already have a couple of sets from OEM lasers (I spent more on them than I did my oakleys :( LOL anyway, have anything you think might work for me shoot me an email please. extremeopsgear@gmail.com

And Great work Dave on the Arctic Mod......WOW thats impressive.

JT

OEM are my personal choice for eye protection as well. There are many tings I am willing to compromise on. My eyesight is NOT one of them ;)

Is Al good enough heat sink wise or would copper be better. Do you think it would make a difference if the massive heat sink was all copper?

Copper is "faster", but both are fine heat sinks. In a mod such as this, weight is a consideration. This heat sink is massive. In aluminum, it is already almost 60 grams! This heat sink, made from copper, would weigh in at a hefty 120 grams! That is an extra quarter pound of weight at the front of the laser.

In addition, the Arctic is a heavy laser to begin with.

Peace,
dave

Copper Heatsink has its +&-. Although Copper can suck up more of the heat. It Holds the Heat in longer then aluminum.

Edit:

After looking at Dave's Heatsink. Its Massive.!! Aluminum is the way to go in this build.

Last edited:

Encap

I love what everyone has done here towards improving the Arctic.
A good/great Arctic was the hope of many many people and still is, myself included.

What I was meaning was if anyone were to go one step further in improving, improving the improvement.
Based upon experience in this particular application would a copper heat sink make any dynamic/functional improvement in the real world or is the Al good enough or more than good enough as heat sink material for extended or continuous use of the device?

To my way of thinking, incurring the added weight and expense of an all copper heat sink would be justified only if a functional improvement would occur even though it is a better heat sink material generally speaking.

Maybe a two piece heat sink would make sense using both Cu and Al portions that press/interference fit or screw together?

Regards,
Encap

Last edited:

JTodd

I agree. I am looking for another good solid laser with brass heat sink. Shoot me an email if you have anything your getting rid of. Or send me a private message.

Thanks

JT..

Yea, Oakleys look good, but if your blind I dont think i would need them. :)

Encap

Maybe best would be a 3 piece heat sink of Ag, Cu and Al----Ag is an even better heat sink than copper so could be used for the diode carrier and copper around and/or after that followed by Al.
Perhaps make the diode carrier "finned"--is hard to get a real handle in what might be without full specs on the diodes thermal character and the thermal characteristic ofn the host and dimensional info--
Is muchly complicated to fine tune and tweak a thermal design without the thermal requirements and characteristic of the diode and the material/dimensional/thermal character of the Arctic host

Last edited:

daguin

Maybe best would be a 3 piece heat sink of Ag, Cu and Al----Ag is an even better heat sink than copper so could be used for the diode carrier and copper around and/or after that followed by Al.
Perhaps make the diode carrier "finned"--is hard to get a real haldle in what might be without full specs on the diodes thermal character and the thermal characteristic ofn the host and dimesioal info---is much more complicated to fine tune and tweak

"Fins" only help if you have air moving over the fins. Otherwise the more massive the heat sink the "deeper" the "well"

Peace,
dave

Encap

What I meant is that say we go with Ag for the diode carrier/front portion of the heat sink and the thinner portion Al--Ag is 2X/100% more thermally conductive than Al so could fin it like the fins on you copper IC heatsinks in such a way as that it would still transfer 50% more heat to the Arctic host as long as the top of the fins were in intimate contact with the host and could cut away 25% of the silver to create fins reduce weight, cost of silver, and improve balance of the final piece. Something like that maybe?

daguin

What I meant is that say we go with Ag for the diode carrier/front portion of the heat sink and the thinner portion Al--Ag is 2X/100% more thermally conductive than Al so could fin it like the fins on you copper IC heatsinks in such a way as that it would still transfer 50% more heat to the Arctic host as long as the top of the fins were in intimate contact with the host and could cut away 25% of the silver to create fins reduce weight, cost of silver, and improve balance of the final piece. Something like that maybe?

Sorry. You lost me in the description.

When transferring heat from one piece of metal to another, the more surface area in contact, the better the transfer. It would seem that fins at contact would defeat the purpose

Peace,
dave

Zirak

This is a really neat mod, thing is I have no experience on how to do all of this :p

I was wondering if you can do this for me Dave? I'm willing to pay any sort of fees you may need via (I have a G2 S3) and will ship it to you if you are able to :D

Last edited:
^ I highly recommend this mod! Dave did fantastic job on my S3, now it's capable of cutting right through other Arctic lasers like hanzo steel cuts through other samurai swords :beer:

Last edited: