Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Improved and the Greatly Improved Arctic Mod

daguin

Well if you want to take one apart & have a looky inside, I would love to send mine along to you for experimentation and/or your modification detailed above. I would be interested, but I can't assume you'd just offer your expertise on a whim following the OP.

I can't imagine it being too different with the exception of the smart-switch board that's attached somewhere in there, but then again only after opening & gutting one will we know for sure. No worries on losing the battery indicator lights either.

Overall I'm not strongly attached to my S3 or it's long term 'factory' preservation. In fact I'd have probably offered the thing up for sale by now if I wasn't so damn attached to just the host AND the idea of a rebuld :beer:

I'll PM my shipping address to you. I'll evaluate it as best I can, and contact you, before we do anything destructive :eg:

Peace,
dave

Got it! Going out tomorrow for Friday delivery, and following that I will anxiously await what your findings are. I imagine a number of other G2 owners that are hesitant to do surgery on their own units will be curious to see what's in there too - so I am happy to sacrafice my own model :beer:

daguin

Got it! Going out tomorrow for Friday delivery, and following that I will anxiously await what your findings are. I imagine a number of other G2 owners that are hesitant to do surgery on their own units will be curious to see what's in there too - so I am happy to sacrafice my own model :beer:

This harkens back to the spirit of the old LPF :topic:

We used to buy and kill diodes just to let others know what they could push theirs to safely.

+1

Peace,
dave

We used to buy and kill diodes just to let others know what they could push theirs to safely.

...and those findings are what we use today as guidelines while still trying to push the limits :) Thanks again Dave.

This harkens back to the spirit of the old LPF :topic:

+1

Peace,
dave

I remember those days. Do you happen to know how Igor is doing? The man could test some diodes, but I always got kind of concerned at how much of himself he put into this hobby. Last I heard he was recovering in the hospital from an injury to his hand.

Anyone know an appropriate run time for the jib77 version using two 16340's? :) Along with suggestion on where to get a couple of good 16340's + charger.

Thanks for the reply,

~$42 shipped for two batteries and the charger, not cheap... :crackup:

I've seen someone charging them in a 18650 charger using an extension. Would that be safe for the battery?

Last edited:

jib77

Its about a $20 premium to have good IMR cells that wont blow up on you and not have to wait a month for the stuff to arrive from China. There are other cheaper chargers @ lighthound, but the one I linked to can handle all the different cells sizes.

Here is a cheaper one: http://www.lighthound.com/DSD-2-Station-Charger_p_290.html

Last edited:
Well I guess sometimes you have to pay a little more. I'd rather not have exploding batteries and spend just a couple extra $'s. :thanks:

I was just getting around to appreciating how underpowered my Artic3 really was.

Dave - at 1.6w with a "gifted" diode that's nearly double my current output. Looks like you may get another package soon!....Sweeet!

daguin

I remember those days. Do you happen to know how Igor is doing? The man could test some diodes, but I always got kind of concerned at how much of himself he put into this hobby. Last I heard he was recovering in the hospital from an injury to his hand.

I have not heard from Igor in some time. He fights demons far beyond just overworking himself :(

I was just getting around to appreciating how underpowered my Artic3 really was.

Dave - at 1.6w with a "gifted" diode that's nearly double my current output. Looks like you may get another package soon!....Sweeet!

I just finished evaluating another broken one. The diode was blown. The driver was producing a huge spike at start-up. Then it would settle down to ~550mA!
With the class of lens that is used in the Arctic, that means that his "1W" laser was actually putting out ~500mW :cryyy:

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

jakeGT

Yep, I personally have never seen one of these 1W arctics' actually put out 1W.

That alone is enough to deter me from the arctic. Good thing I found this site before I saw the arctics!

Hey folks....

I'm back from a 10 day vacation out in sunny ol California. While I was out there I picked up my modd'd S3 from daguin, and it is beyond awesome. Check out what this thing can do :D

Many thanks to daguin for this mod!!! I'll try and post a review later on today with the specs, some pics and a proper thanks to Dave - but for now the video pretty much says it all :beer:

DTR

Hey Dave I don't know how I just saw this thread. Great work man. Finally a worthy Arctic.:beer: