Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Cyan Cannon Vll Build

Yea I want one as well, grab one for me while your at it...oh and my collection needs a MG-42 so if you have a few spare bucks I have a birthday sometime this year.
:crackup:

The Cannon WILL live.....I have been seduced by the ethereal lights of Laser Lumia....But......once I stop the monetary major drain....I will finish it !!!
.....and....it will be a beauty !!:eg::eg::eg:

Thanx...Alignment....has been challenging....the build has been way too long !!! The Alaskan has had a super amount of patients !!! For which I am grateful !!!....We have had some surprises....but.... am moving rapidly forward....and..."The Planets"....and the beams are in alignment ( Well....except not perfect with the Moon as the beam target !! hahaha )

Now....maybe we will include the " Gort Shroud "....as the Alaskan brought the issues of excess Photons during night operations as an issue....and...triggered the idea of a flat glass window inlay !!!

The Cyan color is a real beauty !!! Like the waters of the Caribbean !!!! I should know....I have been staring at the Far Field target for enough hours during Beam-on-Beam alignment !!!!

Thanx for the support !!!

CDBEAM

Last edited:
Oh yes...
I've been waiting to see this build very looong time.. :bowdown:

I knew it would take time due to the many builds he was already in process with, I agreed to wait but he's getting so close now :) Sent me photo's of the optical correction assembly and dichro's etc. with some wonderful baby blue light. I bought a 3X beam expander to go into it too, won't burn, it was made for SHG YAG powers :)

:) If you can't have high power cyan, buy faux. I wanted no less than 5x expansion but didn't want to pay a high price for a new expander to get it. Found a Melles G. 3x for $75 on ebay which had just enough input aperture size and bought that. IMO, most multimode laser diodes need at least 3x to bring their divegence down to match a common 532 nm DPSS laser pointer. No way I'm living with a 2 to 3 mRad rake, even our 1.4 watt capable 520 nm laser diodes are well over 2 mRad, it's terrible to me. This has that diode and a 4 watt blue in it too, but the blue power balanced/reduced to produce a nice baby blue shade of cyan to our eyes.

Edit: Back to add this, here is the 3X BE being used in it; 09 LBZ 001 with a 4.83 mm maximum input beam diameter.

upload images to web

The AR coating shows test data for 1064/532 nm, but 450 and 520 nm will work with this unit. The problem I was having finding a beam expander for this project was the input aperture size, many didn't have the broad VIS AR coating I wanted, or were too small for the width of the corrected laser diode beam outputs which approached 5 mm.

Here is a similar looking/design MG expander on ebay now, except 6X for IR which has too small of an input aperture anyway. I don't know, maybe this 6X would be good at 532 nm and wider too: MELLES GRIOT SCOPE 2003 02070 6X IR WITH BOX 09LBZ103 LESS ADAPTER A526

This curve shows the HEBBAR for the 3x beam expander I'm using, I linked to the 6X to show you what the BE I'm using looks like. I don't know, maybe that 6X uses the same HEBBAR coating? It appears to, but they show it as a 1064 nm expander. If it does, maybe this would work for someone but I can't use it for this project with its maximum 2.41 mm beam input diameter, besides with its identical output lens diameter, wouldn't help.

upload photo to internet

Edit: I decided to buy the 6X, maybe I can use it for another pointer. Price was right for a high quality, high power, low loss expander and can be used with many 532 nm DPSS laser pointers if the beam diameter is small enough. Sure wish I could use it on the Cyan Cannon as 6X would reduce the divergence to half of what the 3x will do, but the output lens diameter is the same so even if down telescoping the laser beam diameter to fit into it, that would be robbing Peter to pay Paul, no net improvement. Maybe good for the Optotronics RPL-$$ DPSS pointer, or the Optlasers single mode RGB white like RB Astro and ArcticDude built into a pointer?

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/g...-white-rainbow-proof-concept-build-99140.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/arctic-s-open-source-rgb-laser-host-99595.html

CDBEAM777, remember that dual module single mode RGB laser pointer I wanted to build? With single mode diodes the expander doesn't need a huge collimation lens on the end of it to work great :) - I've been trying to weigh out which would be better, a Optlasers MM 4 watt RGB white laser platform or BB PBS cube combing two of their 400 mw single mode units, but due to the reduced lens diameter requirement (size reduction) for equal power density delivered into the far distance, I think dual combined ~700 mw SM RGB wins with this expander. Smaller, lighter, less cost. Only thing is, a four watt RGB is going to have one hell of an impressive beam right at the device, the Micro-RGB, not nearly as much.

Should I do both, a Micro-RGB beam inside a larger 4 watt MM beam by combining those two instead of like devices? Hmmmm....

Last edited:
It's been more than 48 hours, the length of time suggested should pass before doing a double post, so here goes.

This is somewhat off topic, but is still about mixing green with blue to produce cyan: Has anyone here ever mixed 561 nm with 462 nm or longer blue wavelength to make periwinkle blue? I wish I had Chroma on my notebook to mix the two to see the hue it creates.

sb10065174i-001-569fffd75f9b58eba4ae6389.jpg

I just started thinking that might make a better looking shade of blue. I have some LBO and KTP crystals for 561 nm, considering the possibility of building a DPSS with one of them and mixing with a high power blue diode laser, only problem is the divergences would probably be too far apart. This would likely require a blue DPSS to be mixed with the 561 nm DPSS to keep their beam divergences close enough together. I could buy a blue DPSS module somewhere to do that, they aren't too expensive. However, 561 nm DPSS isn't so cheap, so I'd build that due to already having the diode, crystal and mirrors needed.

Last edited:
I've mixed power LEDs at ~460nm and ~560nm and it creates weird off-white color. It's more of a purple hue than blue me, perhaps somewhat periwinkle like you said. It's confusing to look at.
Of course, to get the best vibrant cyan, you should use green below 520nm, and blue above 470nm. The closer either of these are to ~490nm the better.