Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Chartreuse Coruscation

Paul....Yes....I want a larger Lathe....I have been dreaming of a new Palmgren 10 x 21 for several years now !! Sigh !!!

I would gladly go with a used lathe !!! If the ways are not worn too much !!....But....cannot seem to find one in South East Michigan !!!

Anybody have a line on one....Michigan, Ohio, Indiana....I will take a look....but....I want to check it out B4 I buy !!!

Anyway !!!!

Moving along on the CHC build. See attached pics !!! Just one step at a time !!

Just enjoying the ride !! Hmmm ??? shall I pop a battery meter in the host.....I have the room ????? Thinking !! It is not necessary....but.....nice eye candy !!!!
RBAstro.....what is the size of that Battery Meter in the Green Menace ???.... Looks about 20mm wide by 8mm tall ?????
BBB....Does it come in Green Yellow display ??? Hahahahaha !!! The Blue goes beautiful with the Brass Host !!!!

Hmmmm....Can I make the unit WiFi connected ????? Hahaha....The Japanese have a toilet....that is WIFI connected......What's NEXT !!!!! Good Grief !!!!

Later,
CDBEAM

I sure would like one of these too :) if you do make more, but I keep dogging you on that :)

Last edited:

Chris...OK...I will build another. I am still not 100 % sure how well the Red/Green beams will combine/overlay ?? They look very compatible...side by side !!!
Plan B...if the divergence is too dissimilar...well....I can always convert to a Cyan Cannon II by replacing the 63193 Red with a N462 Blue !!

Paul...Funny you noticed the separate Ally plate. See pic. Here is the logic...

The H-BE component is relatively expensive. I have time invested in machining. It is therefore important to get the mount holes in the perfect position.

To accomplish the goal of perfect position, I will again use an Ally plate to act as a X-Y location template. This plate is the exact size of the Optical Platform area on the H-BE...120.75 mm x 48.63 mm.

Mount the components to the template, verify the design, unmounts the components....use the template to locate the bore/threaded holes in the H-BE unit. Simple !

Anyway...we move forward. Hmmm...what's left ??? Combining Red and Blue for Purple !! Sure, that is on the distant horizon....Plus....all the remaining builds that I have committed to !!

Thanx for your support.
Happy 4th, play safe.

CDBEAM

Attachments

• CHC Build pic 3 Optical Platform Temp plate.jpg
    CHC Build pic 3 Optical Platform Temp plate.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I'm interested in seeing how you get the two beams to match going through a single pair of cyl lenses. Should be quite good if you can make it work. I do see how you are trying to match the beams in the horiz plane. Good luck to you, Bob. :yh:

I'm interested in seeing how you get the two beams to match going through a single pair of cyl lenses. Should be quite good if you can make it work. I do see how you are trying to match the beams in the horiz plane. Good luck to you, Bob. :yh:

Thanx Paul,

On a test arrangement I set up...I used two sets of 6X Cylindricals....And.....located the Red LD so that the beam path traveled about 25mm further before entering the Cylindricals.

See the attached pic.

Beam geometries turned out very, very similar....at least in the first 11 meters.

So, I am hopeful. I will know soon. Dichro arrived. Work continues.

CDBEAM

Attachments

• 20180603_135701.jpg
    20180603_135701.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 20
I believe I've seen this photo before. It does seem to show similar divergences for both beams, but the proof will be in matching them together and watching for one bleeding out of the other. Here's hoping it works out for you. :D

Last edited:

kecked

Spatial filters do wonderful things to trim the beams edges. Finally getting mine going. Got audio bandpass filters and envelops going too.

Attachments

• A8AEE951-F921-453C-BB65-F590A482D881.MOV
    7.1 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Spatial filters are not used to clean up the edges of a beam, but to clean out noise introduced by imperfect optics and such. A true spatial filter can be very expensive as it is not easy to remove noise from a laser's beam. I have used them extensively in holography and there is nothing to compare to one for getting a perfect Airy disc.

Last edited:

kecked

I use themto agressively trim a beam so they all match. My throw is only 20feet though. In distanc they do diverge
Mine is two lens with pinhole. I have done two sets of cyl with slits as well but that’s over complex. I burn the pinholes to 50um or so with laser or buy them. I find letting the beam burn a razor works too. For my ipuse this is good enough.

That is not spatial filtering. That is masking. Spatial filtering by it's definition implies removing undesirable noise introduced by other optics or the laser medium itself. It can be used to remove multi modes from a laser leaving a noise free clean beam. The Airy disc was first discovered by George Airy and is the result of a spatially filtered laser beam. If you disagree, try looking it up.

Last edited:

kecked

Actual it is a kind of spatial filter. But yes my purpose is as a mask. Having red edges n a white beam drives me wild. So I am happy t dump even 50% power to avoid it.

https://perg.phys.ksu.edu/vqm/laserweb/Ch-8/8-8.gif

The pinhole is the transform device. For your use as holography the purpose is different. I also use this method in my confocal microscope to exclude photons off axis. Again a different kind of filtering. You can even do bandpass filtering using multiple holes.

Here is something really wild. You can use an obstruction as a lens to make a kind of telescope. Very high magnification but highly photon deficient. Saw a guy named Cody’s lab on you tube do it.

Hmmmmm...Very educational....And I am very happy to let those with several orders of magnitude greater optical knowledge....er....ah....." Duke it Out " !!!

And...while I am obsessed with perfection....The Chartreuse Coruscation is already the size of a small baseball bat.

The MM Red's have been and continue to deliver....er....unruly/wispy wings....were as....the MM Green's are much better....but also have a very this line...on both sides of the long bar.

On the Cyan Cannon build....the Beam Expander seemed to clear a good portion of this Optical trash.

Maybe some rudimentary form of masking...maybe...but nothing more !!!

Thanx for your input and passion !!

CDBEAM

Last edited:

BobMc

That looks so promising, CD. One for the record books! :drool:

Last edited:
Hi, Robert. Just a little disagreement on spatial filtering. Masking is a better term for removing wings and other types of splash by clipping it off the edges. Good spatial filters that are adjustable in three directions can be very expensive. I have been looking at them on eBay for many years now picking up what I can when it isn't $600 for a used one. They are also wavelength specific, so when purchasing one, you need to be aware of the particular laser you are planning to use it for. I usually only filter the reference beam when I am making a hologram as you will lose power when you filter out the noise.

Well...It has been about six (6) weeks since an update.....progress marches on....slowly.

I have just completed the H-BE unit...(H)ost to (B)eam (E)xpander. See attached pics. The H-BE is the main unit, the mechanical base which provides a flat platform for the combining / corrective otics..and acts as a bridge between the Host / Battery / controls....and the Beam Expander.

Starting with the Ally bar stock to finished H-BE. Also attached a pic of the Optical Test Bed...almost ready to populate with LD's and set up a run using the Test Bed base.

Assuming all works good here, then I remove all the components from the Test Bed base, and use this base as a template to locate the mount holes in the H-BE flat platform section. Best way I have been able to make sure...ALL the holes are in the correct place.

There are way too many machining hours invested into the H-BE....we only get one shot at X/Y hole locations for components atop the flat platform....and it needs to be as perfect as possible !!!!!

Enjoy,

CDBEAM

Attachments

• 1 Starting Ally Stock.jpg
    1 Starting Ally Stock.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2 Lathe sockets.jpg
    2 Lathe sockets.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 3 Dialing in the H-BE.jpg
    3 Dialing in the H-BE.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 4 Start machining the Platform.jpg
    4 Start machining the Platform.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 5 Midway machining the platform.jpg
    5 Midway machining the platform.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 6 H-BE finished.jpg
    6 H-BE finished.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 7 H_BE coupled to SkyRay Host.jpg
    7 H_BE coupled to SkyRay Host.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 8 Optics Train on Test Bed.jpg
    8 Optics Train on Test Bed.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I like what you have done so far, Bob. Those cyl lenses look different from the OPT ones to me. Are they the OPT ones at a different expansion?

I like what you have done so far, Bob. Those cyl lenses look different from the OPT ones to me. Are they the OPT ones at a different expansion?

Glad you asked. These 6X lenses are from ;

Jilin Tianhua Opto-electrical Technology Development Co,.ltd. TH Optics

Lasereer purchased about 100 sets.....and I got some from him....and some sets the same size from Edison
They are 6X - BBr/vis coated - 18mm wide by 23.1mm tall.

Opt Lasers are 12mm x 12mm for both PCV and PCX...……..the LSP lenses...much smaller....IIRC..... 6mm wide by 10mm tall - PCV.....12mm wide by 20mm tall- PCX

Lasereer then went dark ????? I still think he is in the Witness Protection Programe ( Half joking )….for...he has disappeared for almost 3 years.

I really like this particular size !!...Not too big.....Not too small !!!.....TH Optical will sell more....but....we would need to order a minimum of 50 sets.

Maybe a GB is possible.....but....50 sets !!!! Anyone interested ????????

TH has a GREAT price !!!....Hey....Maybe we can get Jordan to order ??? OR....Len can get Axis to order ???? I would take 10 to 15 sets !!

They work great.....as good as the ones from Opt Lasers....just a better size for me.

Anyway....I have one (1) more set in reserve....for me.

SO....now you know the full story....sad as it is !!

The CHC Build....speed's ahead....at the pace of a Glacier !! :crackup::crackup:

CDBEAM

Last edited: