Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Terms of Use and Drama

How should this be dealt with?

• Remove rules that are unenforced or irrelevant.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I had an idea that I've seen a few other forums use that I think would work here. Basically, if someone starts drama, we could just modify the post and remove the drama. If we get in fast enough, hopefully no one will reply to it, if they do, just delete their posts.

Banning seems a bit excessive at times, everyone has bad days ...

Well this is true that is why there are warnings first.
If someone has a bad day enough to get 10 strikes then there is something more to it than every time they come back on they are having a bad day and cant stop them selves from going online and starting stuff.

I had an idea that I've seen a few other forums use that I think would work here. Basically, if someone starts drama, we could just modify the post and remove the drama. If we get in fast enough, hopefully no one will reply to it, if they do, just delete their posts.

Banning seems a bit excessive at times, everyone has bad days ...
I can see removing a post...

But to modify a Post is completely UNACCEPTABLE...
At that point why not rewrite every ones posts to reflect ones personal
Views...
How would we know id that was really what the poster wanted to say...:thinking:

Jerry

Trevor

Views...

Jerry

There is no such thing as free speech here, this forum is Avery's private property. The level of moderation that occurs is up to the ownership of the forum.

And when an offending post is edited - who cares what they wanted to say? It was breaking the terms of use and was subject to be edited or deleted as soon as they posted.

-Trevor

Views...

Jerry

Well yeah, we don't want Laserbee to compliment the kenometer now do we?

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
thread reopened per member request

Last edited:
I'm sure you all are well aware that drama arises fairly routinely here on LPF. This was the impetus for me to go read the forum rules this morning. They're not a very interesting read, but a lot can be learned from them.

NOTE: The Terms of Use are there to lay out the terms that a user must abide to maintain the privelege to use the forum.

They can be found here: http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

One rule in particular caught my eye:

It seems that after Avery had these terms drawn up, some of the points faded into obscurity and haven't been entirely enforced - especially this one.

My question to you all is - what should we do about this? The poll options are fairly self-explanatory, but if you have questions please ask before you vote.

ADDENDUM: Even if the ToU document is there solely to protect Avery in court, I don't think it would help much if the actual enforcement is spotty or nonexistent.

The poll will be open seven days and its votes are public for transparency.

-Trevor
Hi Trevor,
The rule in the terms of service that caught my eye was rule #3.
"You must be the age of majority as that is defined in your jurisdiction to visit or use the Website in any manner."
This means for most of the residents of the USA, you must be 18 years of age to join and post in this forum....of course since the age of majority is 21 in Mississippi, you have to wait a longer to join and not be violation of the terms of service.
Age of Majority by State - What is the Age of Majority in US States

Hi Trevor,
The rule in the terms of service that caught my eye was rule #3.
"You must be the age of majority as that is defined in your jurisdiction to visit or use the Website in any manner."

That's a boilerplate rule to avoid liability since ages can't easily be verified, and some of the content here is of an adult (liability) nature.

Can we also have the reasons for the ban provided in a forum, maybe even a thread opened for people who have been warned, so that public documentation is provided (except maybe for blatant spammers). Sometimes I want to see why a person was banned, or if the ban is permanent, etc.

HIMNL9

That majority rule is common on almost all the public sites, and is there for a good reason ..... as you know, in public sites, can happen to be exposed to rude language and "offensive" images (i personally have never found offensive any image related with young girls with few dresses, but hey, there are a lot of strange peoples with strange opinions in the world :whistle: :D) .....

In a forum where "underaged" peoples are freely admitted, is responsability of the forum owner and moderators to scan and examine in realtime, or also anticipately (posts subject to approval) any post, for avoid this, or they can be sued for this ..... in a forum that require a majority of age, you declare to be over 18 (or whatever, depend from countries), for access it, so after you cannot accuse the owner or mods for negligence, claiming you're an underage exposed to these things, cause if this happens, is your fault to have declared a false age ..... it's just a common safeguard for any public forums :)

i personally don't care as to the transparency of the results. but since it was stated as to who was voting what I am currious..

btw. My vote was for stick with the status quo :whistle:

michael

I'm not even going to read this, my goodness... how many threads do we need about the "drama"

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
focus on lasers, do not reply to this post.. lets move on guys

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
want to let ppl keep voting, just no more replies in the thread itself