Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

**(SOLD!)**SF501b 445nm blue laser "as is", plus extras $40

Rivem

Re: For Sale: SF501b 445nm blue laser "as is". $50

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound defensive. I appreciate the time you took to show me the prices of the components. The reasoning I used when coming up with a price is what someone could buy it for used, minus the cost and trouble of repairing it, (with batteries and charger thrown in as well) and I believed a person who knows the ins and outs of lasers and their components and how to build them would see it as an opportunity.

As stated before, I'm also including a DVD RW drive as part of the deal for anyone interested in acquiring the laser diode from it. Here are a couple pics of it. It came from my laptop computer.

These laptop style DVD drives rarely ever have standard diodes in them. It's most likely going to have a dual emitter IR/Red flat diode or possibly two combined sensor/diode setups. Not great for laser pointers, but they're interesting if it helps anybody make up their mind.

I'm still thinking you might want to take a crack at fixing the laser yourself though LED. You might not get what you want for it, and the resources are all here to learn how to fix it. As long as you don't destroy the host or diode housing, you should probably be still able to sell it for what you would get anyway.

These laptop style DVD drives rarely ever have standard diodes in them. It's most likely going to have a dual emitter IR/Red flat diode or possibly two combined sensor/diode setups. Not great for laser pointers, but they're interesting if it helps anybody make up their mind.

I'm still thinking you might want to take a crack at fixing the laser yourself though LED. You might not get what you want for it, and the resources are all here to learn how to fix it. As long as you don't destroy the host or diode housing, you should probably be still able to sell it for what you would get anyway.

Wouldn't fixing it require buying more items for it (driver, diode, etc.) along with testing equipment? I don't have any of that. I wasn't an electronics hobbyist when I bought this laser and have no electronics building experience.

Rivem

Wouldn't fixing it require buying more items for it (driver, diode, etc.) along with testing equipment? I don't have any of that. I wasn't an electronics hobbyist when I bought this laser and have no electronics building experience.

You could possibly pull off the diagnosis with a cheap multimeter. Otherwise, yes. You'd also need a soldering iron, solder, and any replacement electronics at a bare minimum.

It wouldn't require a huge amount of skill as long as you read and ask for help though.

Last edited:

You could possibly pull off the diagnosis with a cheap multimeter. Otherwise, yes. You'd also need a soldering iron, solder, and any replacement electronics at a bare minimum.

It wouldn't require a huge amount of skill as long as you read and ask for help though.

See, that's the thing. More stuff to buy. That's what I'd like to avoid. Right now, I'd just like to be done with it all. I just got an offer from someone (at a reduced price). We'll see how that all turns out.

Hi Riven,
I harvested many BDR-209 sleds and they have a flat package red along with 16X 405. i adapted it into a modified CU 12mm module and put out about 180 to 200 mW's , Not much but it was fun doing it..

Rich:)

Hi Rich,
I have an oblong diode from a dvdrw drive I harvested and see one like it on ebay recentally. It was advertised as a 500mw 405. It has like 10 pins tho

Attachments

• 2016-05-31 18.20.35.jpg
    2016-05-31 18.20.35.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 55

h VV thats a led not a laser diode if i'm correct a flat package red is about 4mm x 2mm in black plastic or AL and has to be sinked on both sides

h VV thats a led not a laser diode if i'm correct a flat package red is about 4mm x 2mm in black plastic or AL and has to be sinked on both sides

Yeah,
I have flatpak ir's. also, this looks just like the one on ebay
What would a led be doing in a drive?

Last edited:

hi,
The flat has 4 pins out the back but thats from a BDR-209 sled

Rivem

Yeah,
I have flatpak ir's. also, this looks just like the one on ebay
What would a led be doing in a drive?

It's a laser diode comined with the photosensor. I've seen these a few times before. Usually the beefyiest isolated pin is your positive, and you can use the case or combined pin as negative. The rest of the pins are for data.

Last edited:

Thanks Riv,
Gonna play with it in a bit. It's red?

Hi I had those flats in a module and in a host they work fine to play with . I had pics to but i deleted a lot for more space just two days ago . the pics would have said it all sorry.
River is correct only two of the four pins are used you have to test them .

Ok i found two pics i saved check it out VV..

Attachments

• IMG_1096.JPG
    IMG_1096.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1095.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

See, that's the thing. More stuff to buy. That's what I'd like to avoid. Right now, I'd just like to be done with it all. I just got an offer from someone (at a reduced price). We'll see how that all turns out.

The buyer that made the offer has backed out, so the laser, batteries, charger and DVD RW drive are still available......

I picked up a used older laptop dvd-rw drive on eb@y for about $4 just to practice diode extracting. It had a 3.8mm open can red in it. But I doubt it would produce much, being that the 5.8mm LOC diodes can do around 300mw.

Rivem

I picked up a used older laptop dvd-rw drive on eb@y for about $4 just to practice diode extracting. It had a 3.8mm open can red in it. But I doubt it would produce much, being that the 5.8mm LOC diodes can do around 300mw.

I'm not denying they exist. They were actually pretty common in the earlier laptop drives, and I've seen a few personally. I haven't mamy in any of the dozens of more recent drives I've disassembled though.

That said, a more recent Toshiba drive I disassembled did have a low power standard diode with dual IR/Red functionality, so maybe this one has something like that.