Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

**(SOLD!)**SF501b 445nm blue laser "as is", plus extras $40

Selling my SF501b 455nm blue laser, which was originally a 1.5—1.8W. It no longer outputs the way it used to, which means the diode may be fried, or something else is wrong that needs fixing. It only puts out a very weak beam that can only be seen in a very dark room. I’ve already charged up the batteries because I thought the problem was the result of dead batteries, but that didn’t help. I also had the batteries themselves checked and they are perfectly fine. To see how this laser originally performed (and should again after repair), see the review I posted shortly after receiving it. Several videos and photos to see at the following link: http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/scifi-lasers-sf501b-blue-445nm-1-5-1-8w-96941.html

This laser unit appears to have a G2 lens and can be seen in post #51.

I’ve had this laser since April 1st and it stopped working on April 10th. Since that time, it’s been sitting in its original box and is still in new condition (physically).

Since I’m not able to diagnose or repair it myself, I want to sell it “as is” to whoever is willing to buy it and try fixing it (or use it for parts). I’d like to sell to someone here who has a good reputation and lives in the USA.

I am including an Xtar MC-1 charger and 2x16340 batteries which are Efest 3.7v at 700mah (both owned since mid-March and charged only 2 times) with the laser. $40 plus shipping and it’s all yours! If interested, send me a PM.

EDIT: Also, I'm including a DVD RW drive for anyone who wants it for diode extraction. Photos of it can be found on post #32 of this thread.

Last edited:

Sta

Re: For Sale: SF501b 455nm blue laser "as is". $50

I believe that Grainde and Pman are running a Sci-Fi repair service. You should talk to them about it; they will repair your laser for only the cost of the parts. :)

I believe that Grainde and Pman are running a Sci-Fi repair service. You should talk to them about it; they will repair your laser for only the cost of the parts. :)

I've seen their offer, but right now I'd just like to sell it rather than put more money into it for parts and shipping both ways. Maybe in the future I'll be interested in getting something else that's built better. If someone wants to buy mine for the price I'm asking and then repair it (or have someone else repair it), it comes out pretty good for the buyer.

IMO the charger and batteries are what makes the deal worth it lol, good luck on the sale looks good. Also might wanna change the title, made a bit of a typo there "455nm" instead of 445. :p

i'll take it!!:)

mainly becaus of the battery and charger.

How is it worth it? The charger is around 6.50 and the batteries 5 bucks at most. The flashlight itself is like 7 bucks. Even if the driver was good it's still not a deal. Even if the diode was good and the driver bad it's still not a deal honestly, at least not in the way you guys are making it.

Looks like someone doesn't know when to use the acronym "IMO"

IMO the charger and batteries are what makes the deal worth it lol, good luck on the sale looks good. Also might wanna change the title, made a bit of a typo there "455nm" instead of 445. :p

Thanks for pointing that out! Fixed it now. :yh:

How is it worth it? The charger is around 6.50 and the batteries 5 bucks at most. The flashlight itself is like 7 bucks. Even if the driver was good it's still not a deal. Even if the diode was good and the driver bad it's still not a deal honestly, at least not in the way you guys are making it.

What you're referring to as a "flashlight" for 7 bucks is actually a laser that originally cost $100.

Hi Led,
Dude, your camera rocks
Danny

I'm glad you like my photography, but you might be even more amazed by the fact that it's a Samsung S860 that only cost me $100 about 6 or so years ago. I just looked it up and was shocked to discover that it is still available for only $27! http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-8-1MP-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B001283F60

Maybe I should be selling that instead! :)

Last edited:

Razako

Re: For Sale: SF501b 445nm blue laser "as is". $50

All this drama is pretty dumb. All tombyG did was point out that the batteries and charger weren't nearly worth $50 alone, or something like that. As for the price being too high, that depends on whether the diode or the driver died. If the driver died then it would be a pretty easy fix and the laser is worth the $50. If the diode is dead then it's not a good deal IMO.

All this drama is pretty dumb. All tombyG did was point out that the batteries and charger weren't nearly worth $50 alone, or something like that. As for the price being too high, that depends on whether the diode or the driver died. If the driver died then it would be a pretty easy fix and the laser is worth the $50. If the diode is dead then it's not a good deal IMO.

Well, the laser worked perfectly fine one day until I put it away that night. Then I picked it up the next day and the light that came out of it was super dim. Does that sound like the driver is dead, or the diode?

Last edited:

Pman

Well if you change your mind I could take a look at it and figure out what is wrong and then you could go from there. If you sold it I would just ship it from here so you wouldn't have to pay the cost of me shipping it back to you. Only thing I would want is the shipping cost which would be just the cost of a small priority mail box.
Repaired another members unit and he got it back yesterday.

Well if you change your mind I could take a look at it and figure out what is wrong and then you could go from there. If you sold it I would just ship it from here so you wouldn't have to pay the cost of me shipping it back to you. Only thing I would want is the shipping cost which would be just the cost of a small priority mail box.
Repaired another members unit and he got it back yesterday.

I appreciate the idea, but is there a way you could walk me through the steps of finding out whether it's the driver or the diode? Maybe you could tell me how to take it apart and what to look for. Keep in mind that I don't have electronic testing equipment of my own, so I wouldn't be able to check things in that way, but maybe there's something that could be physically identified as the problem?

Without ESD protection, you may end up doing more damage to it. Not knowing how Eitan put it together, it'd probably be best to stick to your original plan.

I would throw that driver away, even if it works I would not use it, get one from DTR that you can trust.

Without ESD protection, you may end up doing more damage to it. Not knowing how Eitan put it together, it'd probably be best to stick to your original plan.

That is my preference. I would just rather be done with it than keep putting more money into it. Maybe get something better in the future.