Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Single Mode Blue Pen Laser Build! Osram PL450B in Leadlight Host **Video Added!!*

I liked mine, but there are burrs in the module threads and the diode is sitting a little bit diagonal :( so I think I may need to build a new one.

Nice job. Those pens host really do look nice.:beer:

Nice! The PL450b is a pretty cool diode. The beam is sweet.
Except mine zombied after 20 minutes.
I wish these single modes were available with a little more power... 250mW would be nice.
I hope mine doesn't suffer the same fate as yours! From what I've read it seems like this diode is pretty tough.

What size is that diode? I have press/extractors in 5.6...
These are the tiny 3.8mm diodes. I bought mine already pressed into a module so I wouldn't have to buy a 3.8mm press.

I hope mine doesn't suffer the same fate as yours! From what I've read it seems like this diode is pretty tough.

These are the tiny 3.8mm diodes. I bought mine already pressed into a module so I wouldn't have to buy a 3.8mm press.

Yeah, I thought so. I thought I might be able to help out Isaac. It's time to go ahead and order my 3.8mm press/extractor kit for other builds anyway. That being said, I will be buying mine already pressed as well.

Well I bought a 3.8mm press and extractor from flaminpyro and 3 of these hosts from jayrob. I see that you used the aixiz focus ring with yours, how does the cap that comes with the laser host work? How is it attached? Also, are you running your PL520 with a Microboost and AAA batteries as well?

The cap on these doesn't attach. You could with some adhesive paste of some sort, but you don't screw it in, or focus with it. You could MAYBE use some sort of adhesive to attach it to a lens, like liquid cement, just a DAB. Though I wouldn't know, been a while since I've seen one of these in person.

Well I bought a 3.8mm press and extractor from flaminpyro and 3 of these hosts from jayrob. I see that you used the aixiz focus ring with yours, how does the cap that comes with the laser host work? How is it attached? Also, are you running your PL520 with a Microboost and AAA batteries as well?

IIRC the cap is just press fit. I left mine off to allow me a little bit more room to work with, and also to make it focusable. I'd love to make a nice RGB chrome pen set like you are doing, but I'd want a better driver/battery combo than the one I'm using currently.

Also, the copper module that I got from DTR is a tad bit too small and just slid inside the host. I made a case positive build, so I fixed two problems by running the case wire from the driver to the outside of the copper module, making a sandwich that keeps the module in place and makes constant contact with the driver. This sounds a bit confusing so I can reword that if you want.

With my PL520 I'm using a microboost and 2 AA batteries.

The M9x0.5 threads fit right in the aperture cap for the Leadlight hosts. A small amount of epoxy keeps it secure but it will be a pain to remove if you ever decide to put a different lens in there. Also, you will have to do some filing on the cap so that it slides in and out easily because it is made to press-fit inside the host.
I used to make my Leadlights that way but I found that getting a custom focus ring makes a nicer finish and is a more practical (less permanent) solution.

@Styro
I've found that using the right back for the module can help if the module is too narrow and doesn't make a good press-fit.
Some have a larger OD than others and will allow a tighter fit. If you can find one that fits just right, use that instead.

Last edited:
This is fortunate for me as I plan to make this a permanent fixed focus. I will most likely be using Aixiz Acrylic lens for the reduced internal reflections. I am very excited!!!!

Re: Single Mode Blue Pen Laser Build! Osram PL450B in Leadlight Host

I'm using two AAA alkalines. Not my choice of battery, but it does the job!

would your set up right now still be more efficient than a greenie in that same host????

Michael.

Hey Styropyro, couple questions:
1. Are you getting 160mW with AAA batteries? Or is that with Li-Ion and a Spacer?
2. What is your current setting?

I built mine but the output drops like a stone from >200mW down to 115mW I think due to the AAA batteries.

Any thoughts?
-Isaac

would your set up right now still be more efficient than a greenie in that same host????

I would bet that it would be a little worse than a greenie, but I could be wrong. I haven't done the calculation.

Michael.

Hey Styropyro, couple questions:
1. Are you getting 160mW with AAA batteries? Or is that with Li-Ion and a Spacer?
2. What is your current setting?

I built mine but the output drops like a stone from >200mW down to 115mW I think due to the AAA batteries.

Any thoughts?
-Isaac

I'm getting 160mW with 2 AAA batteries. I'm not sure what the current setting is, I just turned the pot on the driver till I hit 160mW. The current range on how I had the driver set up was a max of 280mA, but I think 160mW is a bit high for this current range.

Maybe my AAA batteries are shitty...oh well I ordered some 10440 LiIons and spacers off of Fasttech so I will be good once they arrive. This is by far my favorite laser!

Back