Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SELEM 2013- who is going & why go??

benmwv

Id love to go but I need every dime for college! I will definitely be at one in the next few years though.

Hm...... the week before I start college...
Sounds like the perfect reason to do SELEM- tell you what you make the event and at the end I will buy your shirt from you if you feel the 60$ you paid for attending was not money well spent.

I didn't see it in the thread. Is there any word on a ILDA LSO certificate course for this year?

IIRC only 3 or 4 where needed to make the LSO course happen My car pool host Rick is planning to take it and only if i cannot scrape the extra 450$ together I will be there too. (our car pool is leaving at dawn wed. if you want a ride from DFW i can put you with Rick to discuss- first to ask may get a ride.)

I think at least a few more mentioned the course in the SELEM official thread- Adam is keeping the master list (as he is the grand master of LEMmery) so he would be the one who knows-- I have tried to hit the bools one hour per day we have !70 days til the event- more failed than passed last year-- IIRC there was about 10 in the class. So you know the exam is no cinch many failed even tho it was open book and free use of the net.

Id love to go but I need every dime for college! I will definitely be at one in the next few years though.

Thats the spirit- I wish(with a very few exceptions) that all LPFers would make at least one SELEM or maybe another-- When I got back from my first in 2010(Aug) I hosted a small STEXLEM in November. And for a first timer, 2012 TEXLEM was a huge success. I was happy to help organize it with Tim"LaserSpectacular' Walsh and Greg 'Displaser' Sutherland.
Our teacher was Adam 'buffo' Burns-- he has the art of the LEM perfected IMHO. Just meeting Adam is reward enough to attend SELEM-
In 2011 our guest of honor was Dr Sam--how cool was that??
WE have mario master, jeffry00, Natile and Brad069 to thank for giving Sam rides...
and many PL/LPF members who helped cover Sams lodging and meals- he appeared at no charge to us.

To learn more about LEMs past, present and future you need to read a lot in the 'meets n greets' section at the show forum- They are held in Calf- (two) in Portland(NWLEM) Olando (FLEM) UKLEM- DUTCHLEM- even one on a caribean island-( iirc I read they forgot to bring a fogger/hazer and replied on small fires to make smoke--lol) GLLEM may happen for those around those the Great Lakes,There was one already there with just 3 or 4 but any more than one attendee is a good LEM-

Should you find yourself able to attend SELEM even for just one day do it!!.... Buffo will charge you a prorated fee at the door -get your John Hancock on a waiver and you will enjoy -- you will be back next time for the full event.

for a taste search SELEM at ytube--hak

aka LEMLEN

on the left is MM(Alex) and holding his magic RGV portable Lumia box is Dr Evil (james)next is Jeff- Adam (buffo0 was silly with sleep=dep and could not stop Laughing then me with my 12inch stash and next is the lovely Natty ( jeff's sis)and at the bottom is Zach.. aka Laserman121.

Attachments

• SELEM and MUGSHOTS 003.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 003.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 151
  • SELEM and MUGSHOTS 013.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 013.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 151
  • SELEM and MUGSHOTS 052.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 052.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 147
  • SELEM and MUGSHOTS 025.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 025.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 162
  • SELEM and MUGSHOTS 011.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 011.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 169
  • SELEM and MUGSHOTS 054.jpg
    SELEM and MUGSHOTS 054.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
If Dave can make it from Cali- and Jeff Flampyro from Oregon 6tee9 can have no excuse being that close.

.rumors have Dr Lava showing and putting on a LSX demo CEO Bill Benner (Pangolin) will do the same with the new 3D BEYOND and a peek at their newest addition top shelf Scanners--

famous show creator Mike Dunn may be there and will most likely offer some show modules from his collection as door prizes ( a $500 value) Soo many full color PJs they no longer all fit in the same auditorium so again this year buffo has rented us the big area in the building across form the auditorium- free style live shows incredible beamshows at 'Club Selem' two DJ laserisist wiih CV subs bigger than your fridge-

I can only guess at the total value of the items put in thr door prize pool- (sat 5pm be there or no prize for you) -- hmmm say 3 to 4K$ in prizes..

factoid of interest to maybe just a few vets-- if you drive in from the west you either pass thru or near Asherville NC- guess who lives(or lived) there??
will bring a treat for you at SELEM if you are the first to post the answer...

NO FAIR USING THE SEARCH__

Last edited:
I'll see how everything goes over the summer before I commit to it, but as of right now I don't see why I won't go

I don't have the 561nm on my person, its "ordered" though :)

I would really like to meet you in person at SELEM
i know people driving from there so if you want - perhaps a carpool could happen for you- MarioMaster and Jeff00 are drving- they bringa lot of gear but could have room for more and another rider-I can vouch 100% for these two..

There are always members seeking room sharing- i would not even worry at all about that for now- just work on getting there and send in your shirt size(s) along with your 60$ 'GIFT via PP or mail a check to Adam Burns.

69 days left
should be the best and biggest SELEM ever!!

PM me if you need help--
done smart the room cost can be very low--
PLZ do bring your exotic color handhelds et al- I have a little demo in mind involving handhelds.

you have some I have never seen in person-

ha

D

Deleted member 16589

:wave: BUMP :wave: Guys its getting closer.

Whooo Post 532

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be there this year if I didn't already have a conflict the same days. I'm looking forward to 2014's event!

cheers,
Kap

Third year for me and my wife. (on the thread on PL already.)

Of course last year was a disaster personally for me. Broke a tooth on Saturday and missed a bunch of stuff - not a good weekend. But it's well worth going. I did manage to get newish head for my second ML argon.

THis year if everything goes as planned, I'll be coming home with a Spectra Physics 127. 40mw

I love only living 45 miles away!!!!! :)

Three days to relax and watch laser shows and fool around with Hi-Voltage and Hi-Power laser stuff...

DJZ

Just posted the rough schedule for the shows in the auditorium at SELEM. Only a few weeks left to go!

Friday
10am: open
11am: Pop
12pm: Rock/Pop Mix
1pm: David Bowie
2pm: Smashing Pumpkins
3pm: Beatles
4pm: U2
5pm: Alternative Rock
6pm: Swamidog Shows
7pm: Requests
8pm: Metallica
9pm: Led Zeppelin
10pm: Pink Floyd
11pm: Pink Floyd

Saturday
10am: open
11am: Laser Swing
12pm: Country
1pm: Big Beat
2pm: Jimi Hendrix
3pm: DKumpula Shows
4pm: DKumpula Shows
5pm: Metallica
6pm: 80's Rock
7pm: Van Halen
8pm: Aerosmith
9pm: Nine Inch Nails
10pm: Pink Floyd
11pm: Pink Floyd

Sunday
10am: Halloween Shows
11am: Christmas Shows
12pm: Classic Rock
1pm: zzTop
2pm: Radiohead
3pm: Requests
4pm: open

Last edited:
Will anybody have a spectrometer there? I'd like to measure some of my DD pointers. Somebody had one last year but forgot the S/W if I remember correctly.

Hmmm...might be worth selling a few things and flying out for this. I'll see if I can swing something.

Hmm, a flight to Charlotte is only $275. Any chance I could carpool with someone else going to the same airport? I never looked into this, assuming it'd cost $450+ a ticket. Though $275 is EASILY doable.

Last edited:
I'll be driving by the airport. I'd just need to know when you're coming in.

I'll be talking to my supervisor first thing about taking leave. If I can get it authorized, then you can count on me being there. As soon as I get my ticket, I'll give you the time. Awesome.

Any requests on what to bring? :D

DJZ

I've made a few tweeks to the show schedule and updated my post above.

I'll be passing by the Charlotte airport around 9:30 Thursday morning if anyone needs a ride...