Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RPL 350 turns off a street light!!!

roosl

wow it takes some time.

Yeah, not only could it be targeting precision (from far away), but most sensors have a tolerance/timer, so they're not fooled by (for example) passing clouds, lest they constantly go on and off when they don't need to.

You shouldn't need 350mW. I've done it with 5.

Red works, but I needed 50mW or more. Maybe the sensors of mike's day were more sensitive?

The lamp's life-span is substantially reduced with hot restrikes, but the sensor should be able to take anything you throw at it.

Hmm IDK, my CNI ~100mW wont turn 'em off :/ But Oh well!!! maybe the sensors here are a bit less reactive. Afterall all the street lights are prob NOT the exact same :)
-Dustin

Back then, the photo sensors on street lights were a simple relay in series with a 1" Dia. Cd photo resistor. There was a was a window on one side and a HeNe held steady for a couple seconds did the trick. All old technology.

HMike

Back then, the photo sensors on street lights were a simple relay in series with a 1" Dia. Cd photo resistor. There was a was a window on one side and a HeNe held steady for a couple seconds did the trick. All old technology.

HMike

Ahh, now it makes sence! Thanks Mike

I can do this with my radioshack ~5mW green, my Skylasers 150mW, and I can do this with my new style dilda... But, I see your exitement, I was VERY surprised when I found mine could do it, and ya, it's a matter of aim.

Here's my ~150mW doing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31NkXgkB1Tg

Last edited:

mmykle

I wonder if there's some other sensor thing that lasers can mess with.

Keep in mind that the sensors generally face to the east or northeast to catch the morning sun. If you're shining it from the west you'll never even hit the sensor.

Things

Some lights are much less sensitive than others. Also, the sensors are typically on top of the light, so unless you can get above that you arent going to be turning it on (Unless there is a tree or something dangling over the sensor which could cause reflections.

Also, some older lights just use a timer or a single sensor at a location. Look for something up on the pole if there is no sensor on the light.

They may be on the top, but they are seldom pointed upward. Many, if not most of the sensors look like this:

21440.SL-5697_4.jpg

I shall try this out with the lights around my way... I will post my results

@ Quadcam - That would make sense.
@ Cyparagon - Thanks for the photo!

DLMB, did you use glasses when you did this? My glasses (OD7+) prevent me from being able to aim the laser properly, but I'm a little hesitant to try it without glasses...

nope, no glasses on this one. As long as you don't act stupid (you dont seem to dumb by your posts ive read) you will be fine!!! with a leser like yours its a crime to not see the beam with your naked eyes!!! Go for it pal!

Just a little concerned about pointing it at something shiny and metal without glasses is all... I suppose the chance of it reflecting directly back at you is quite slim on a rounded surface like the head of a street light.

It is good that you worry about this, It tells me that you are respectfull of you lasers power and know how to be safe. I wish more people were like you! yes the chance is low, I see you have a beam expandeer on it so you could adjust it so that the "dot" is about the size of the entire light (just the top pice) which with >500mW should still be more than enpugh to turn it off, and that will make it way more easy, and then any reflection will be gone by the time it hits you. (if your a good distance away)
let me know how it goes if you decide to try it!
Good luck pal +1
-Dustin

that is pretty good if you can do it with 1mW. I just used my Vaisho 500mW 532 to turn our street light off last night, works instantly and you realy don't have to wory about burning out the sensor like Ben was woried about as they are Cds cells so you would need like a 15watt laser and then you would have to hold it very still, silly Ben.

Good day !

Pyro...

Crap -- I was doing that with a 1 mW HeNe 40 years ago. Nothing new under the sun !!!

HMike

I used to do it from my bedroom window with my old HeNe....

The sensor faced my house, and my bedroom was upstairs, giving direct line of sight to the sensor window.

I wonder if there's some other sensor thing that lasers can mess with.

I remember hearing from somewhere that if you use a high powered laser on a card reader lock such as shown below it can cause damage to the sensor, even being able to trick into having it open the locked door!

HID_card_reader.jpg

But again, I only heard this from somewhere. So whether if this is true or not is just as much as a guess, but either way its probably best you do not do this since mostly government buildings/schools use this tech..