Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

recommendation for birds

leo, you are kind of mean for no reason. did he ever say he was going to point it at the birds eye.

i shine my laser at the ground by the chickens where i work all the time. just shinnning it at their feet, they percieve it as a rope and jump over it. your comment in the OP's rep suits you as well.

michael.

@chipdouglas
Look his replies. He says that he is tired of throwing peebles at the bird. Damn, it is just a poor bird, he can't defend itself, don't you agreed?

edit: anyways, living and learning.

Last edited:
people have very different perspectives in life, and i appreciate the instinct to be protective.

i am NOT going to conclusively justify my personal perspective through online rhetoric. i prefer to involve myself with productive endeavours.

some birds, like some people, are ornery pains in the backside. if you are fortunate enough to never encounter such creatures, wonderful. i spend a 1/2 hour every day throwing rocks at this bird. have you ever tried yelling at an ornery bird or an ornery person? it accomplishes nothing.

i can buy a 25lb. bow and spear the little bastard for $30, or put a blowgun dart through it for pennies.

i figure giving it a slight singe would be much more considerate.

i'm a jain, albeit not feeling like the best jain atm.

atm i'm tired of getting up, going outside and throwing rocks at this thing.

You could Blind the bird is what some are worried about not the sting of the laser. The fact he might not be able to see very well afterwards.

And I was also imply not that a bird can;t annoy you, as anything can annoy anyone if you focus on it and keep telling your self it's a annoying sound...
I was saying you have been brought up in a Fake world that mankind has created around you that have voided your life of nature and the real things that make the world work so you can live here on the planet. And so sense Nature has been deprived from you. The normal noises that you would hear all around you by the creatures of this world now Annoy you. Instead you would be used to them and enjoy them... But you would rather kill the creature or Blind it than to hear the sounds they make... I found that Kinda Sad is all..

It's all about how you condition your Brain. You have a right to kill everything around you to achieve absolutely no noise except all the cars and brakes screeching , honking and people playing music and your TV and all the other noises you can't "Throw Rocks At"....

I never seem to get a consistent reaction from other animals that see my lasers.
My dog doesn't seem to care about lasers. Same thing for the stray cat I feed every day.
Other animals react differently when I try to "show" them my lasers. Some don't care, some don't like it, and few want to play.

I think that you should try to find a more effective method.
Like a water gun or something. A laser doesn't guarantee the result you want and it is quite a bit more conspicuous and could draw much attention. Not to mention, the cost is quite a bit more than getting a squirt gun from the $0.99 store.
Get a laser anyway. Today they are cheap and you may find it entertaining to play with. ;)

Good luck!

Last edited:

anselm

It really depends on the bird, but most are really scared of the bright green beam of even a
5mW 532nm pointer and try to avoid it at all cost.

xoxos

And I was also imply not that a bird can;t annoy you

oh, trust me. i know all about annoying.

here's a toy you may want to know about:

HSS speakers - $1397 at LRAD Corporation

USA TODAY article:
USATODAY.com - Sound technology turns the way you hear on its ear

i believe they use heterodyning or similar to carry audio signals on microwaves which transduce when they hit something solid, eg. your head, aka "voice-to-skull"

point it at someone, they can hear the sound. no one else near them can hear the sound.

someone messed with me with one of these, and yes, now, unfortunately i become VERY annoyed by some kinds of sounds, years later. and i've had a LOT of practice not being annoyed by stimuli in my environment.

it is kind of sad, i agree.

personally, it took me years before i found out what a certain cretin was doing to me, which is why i'd rather tell people about HSS speakers than not tell people.

anselm

Call me mean, but I have broken up a formation of migratory birds with a green beam.:eg:
Nothing serious happened of course, they just dodge the beam and then regroup
when I stop harassing "them".

Hey, I was just keeping them on their toes!!

oh, trust me. i know all about annoying.

here's a toy you may want to know about:

HSS speakers - $1397 at LRAD Corporation

USA TODAY article:
USATODAY.com - Sound technology turns the way you hear on its ear

i believe they use heterodyning or similar to carry audio signals on microwaves which transduce when they hit something solid, eg. your head, aka "voice-to-skull"

point it at someone, they can hear the sound. no one else near them can hear the sound.

someone messed with me with one of these, and yes, now, unfortunately i become VERY annoyed by some kinds of sounds, years later. and i've had a LOT of practice not being annoyed by stimuli in my environment.

it is kind of sad, i agree.

personally, it took me years before i found out what a certain cretin was doing to me, which is why i'd rather tell people about HSS speakers than not tell people.

Oh Wow if it did that to you, Than I don't see why they allow that to be used. That really stinks. Did it Hurt? Or pop your ears?

I think a Water gun is your best bet. It will work for sure and you wont hurt the Bird.

Last edited:

vk2fro

if the bird sits right outside your window, why not get a mobile with a hawk shaped item dangling from it - you can also get things that you put on your window which look like a bird of prey, and it scares the birds away - it will tend not to be selective though - if you have other birds you dont mind outside this wont work.

xoxos

you wouldn't notice it unless someone told you, or you heard something that didn't fit with your environment. you can use it with quiet/subliminal signals too, so that your target doesn't notice that they're hearing anything.

here's an article on a new court precedent from 2008:
Court to Defendant: Stop Blasting That Man’s Mind! | Danger Room | Wired.com

there's a wide range of electronic weapons that people are using. it's generally not illegal because most people don't know when they're being attacked.. they just feel weird. there are actually certain interest groups in the u.s. that are routinely targeting other groups with these items. you're going to see more of this in the news.. people suddenly going blank wondering wtf they just heard or felt.

as a jain, i did unfortunately find, after being forced to move, that the way to stop my electronic assailant was to live on an isolated property and buy a Really Big Sword. i don't like guns. with a sword, you look like a real maniac and people tend to avoid you. i'm from a neighborhood (tucson) where guns are very common and i find that what people think of you is the greater deterrent.

i make free and cheap audio software - www.xoxos.net rev.2011 - so i'm not a particularly inconsiderate or cruel person. and the laser really is for a bird, though i figure it would be useful if this a****** ever gets drunk or something and decides to get on my case again. at least they wouldn't be able to sit in one spot.

i'm finding articles on ebay like this -
200mw Green Laser Pointer pen Long Range 200mW Output - eBay (item 260742223638 end time Mar-24-11 18:19:56 PDT)

i'm guessing (still reading..)) that 200mw is a power rating and not the beam strength.

yes, sad :)

or is it? apart from being irradiated, i did manage to survive an experience that gives me insight into what society will be like in the future.

@Krogith: No. I saw it on a science show. You just think you're going insane because you have no idea where it's coming from and nobody around you can hear it. Awsome stuff.

Anyway, on topic, OP, tell us about the situation. Laser is really not the best way to go at all. The impression i'm getting is that you want to make the bird feel the laser beam and fly away as a result of a stinging feeling. In any situation in which you could induce a non-fatal stinging feeling you would be better off using a long stick.

So, this window, does it open? Can you open it? How far is the bird from the window? How high up is the window? What is the bird standing on\in? How loud is the bird? Have you tried blotting it out rather than shoo-ing it away?

Once you answer all those questions we'll be able to help you think of a non-laser way to solve your bird problem.

@Leodahsan: It's not all doom and gloom. Few summers ago there was aseagull by the river that couldn't fly or walk. I wrapped it in my jumper and took it home (by bus :crackup: i love taking animals on public buses). It seemed to have trouble eating, but i gave it some tuna anyway. I kept it overnight in an old rabbit hutch and gave it to a vet the next day. Few weeks later i found an injured pigeon. Similar story, but he didn't live long enough to get to the vet. I doubt the seagull survived either, but it was better it died in the vet's office than drowned when the tide came in.

Finally:
"i figured.. tech.. english speaking.. this forum has got to be full of animal roastin' testosterone"
For future reference, you probably couldn't find a forum less in favour of use of lasers as weapons. Not (purely) because we're pacifists, but because as soon as people start using them as weapons, they'll start being regulated like weapons.

wow - that was fast! here's one already! :)

General ordering probe into report of mind tricks - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan is ordering an investigation into charges that an army unit trained in psychological operations was improperly told to manipulate American senators to get more money and troops for the war.

Yeah the chance of that story going on the main news and it taking any real prosecution for it, (without them convincing people that only crazy people believe the military would do anything like that...:whistle:) Is so Tiny it's not going happen...

OP 10$ Solution
!CE7msLQCGk~$(KGrHqQOKnUEz1dgbgg7BNTg!psbOg~~0_1.JPG

RARE Larami SUPER SOAKER 5000 Max-D - eBay (item 230587621985 end time Feb-25-11 16:00:32 PST)

:bowdown:And if you really want a Beast I had one of these back in the day and it worked awesomely...but you will have to have some $$ But it's worth every penny...
Super Soaker CPS 2500 Nice condition! - eBay (item 220704601859 end time Feb-28-11 18:39:20 PST)
THE SOLUTION... I know thank me Later...
!CDkMVhgCWk~$(KGrHqQOKiYE0FYIWgsDBNPE,OEz6w~~0_12.JPG

:crackup:
And if your cheep I found a 2.99 Solution..
!Bp6ykg!Bmk~$(KGrHqUOKi0EubCuzs0OBLtfEsBHt!~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Water-Squirt-Guns-12-Mega-Superior-X-224-Summer-Toy-/160546240441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25614d37b9

Last edited: