Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

recommendation for birds

xoxos

i've been looking at lasers online for several days now and much of the marketing and information seems fairly dubious.

i would like a pen/pointer laser powerful enough to be annoying. i have a noisy bird that likes to make noise outside my window. it doesn't have a nest or food supply there, it's only part of it's circuit, and apparently only likes the location because it irritates me.

i don't want to barbecue it, only encourage it to go somewhere else.

can you recommend a retailer and/or product to look for that will accomplish the purpose with minimal expense? i'd prefer not to get an air rifle.

gratefully,

xoxos

i should add - i'm not an electronics whizz, i've done an amount of "circuit bending" for electronic music so don't mind d.i.y. - i do have a hard time believing what i see on youtube and don't want to blow $40 in parts because of a prank.

Welcome to the Forums BTW.

I think a 532 nm at 20-50mW http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/new-stock-overspec-5mw-green-2-2011-batch-will-here-soon-50256.html laser should work. If you needed a larger beam to hit a bigger area just get a 532 nm 30-50 mW focusable and then you can make the target area larger. It might only work at dawn or dusk or at night tho. I have no personal experance as I like birds...

Someone can correct Me If I'm Wrong but I think that would be safe enough to use on the bird and scare him away. From some reading I did I think it might not work at mid day. And some birds are said to be "Laser Resistant". so It might not work at all. But what I linked to you is at least a cheap idea to start with

Last edited:
Uuh.. isn't it easier to you to make a lot noise (as you done an amount of circuits for electronic MUSIC) and scare the bird away? Encouraging it to go somewhere else with a laser isn't going to be any better than, lets say, scream something so he flees.

Edit:
@Krogith
Dunno about safety, lets worry about the birds' eye please. :p

mod101

If you want to start somewhere cheap you could always try an over spec 5mw pen, probably green. Itemquickship is well though of around here and he has some very overspec 5mw green pens that might do the trick.

people, if you were annoying someone, would you like to take a 100mW green hit at your eye? THINK TWICE BEFORE POSTING.

^ Finally someone said something interesting. Dang, at this days people want to point a >100mW laser at a poor bird to put him away. LOL...

I know I feel it's wrong to but a lot of people are doing it, and they even make professional ones to do the exact same thing. I just was trying to keep her below <50 mW so as to not harm the bird as much as possible. Considering she sounds like she is going to do it no matter what.... By this point I assumed she already tried rock/noise if shes asking about lasers....

Poor birds, is it sad that we have destroyed nature so much that when we hear it, it annoys us to the point of trying to harm the bird, just trying to live...

@Krogith
Yeah dude. I think the maximum for scaring the bird away should be 1mW greenie. That should "flash" him for a instant and he would fly away.

@Krogith
Yeah dude. I think the maximum for scaring the bird away should be 1mW greenie. That should "flash" him for a instant and he would fly away.

I think it shouldn't be done period personally. But how we feel about it doesn't change the fact it's going be done. and If you look it up a lot are <60 and some <100 in the professional world and 1/2 of them are regular lasers not unfocused, it's sad but being done....

Krogith said:
I'm with you Friend, Sad people don't like Nature That Much to Laser em

SAD... VERY SAD. I actually only opened this thread because I have a bird, and maybe the guy were wanting to get one..
I only recommended the 1mW because I suppose he still wants to do it :tsk:

@OP
JUST DON'T USE A SUPER BEAST GREEN. :tsk::tsk:

xoxos

people have very different perspectives in life, and i appreciate the instinct to be protective.

i am NOT going to conclusively justify my personal perspective through online rhetoric. i prefer to involve myself with productive endeavours.

some birds, like some people, are ornery pains in the backside. if you are fortunate enough to never encounter such creatures, wonderful. i spend a 1/2 hour every day throwing rocks at this bird. have you ever tried yelling at an ornery bird or an ornery person? it accomplishes nothing.

i can buy a 25lb. bow and spear the little bastard for $30, or put a blowgun dart through it for pennies.

i figure giving it a slight singe would be much more considerate.

i'm a jain, albeit not feeling like the best jain atm.

atm i'm tired of getting up, going outside and throwing rocks at this thing.

Oh yeah I gave you rep.. was supposed to neg rep you ok?
Consider it negative :D (or someone neg him for me pls)

xoxos

btw great to see an enthusiastic forum - who'dve thought laser pointers had such an ardent appreciation? thanks for the replies :)

and i'm kind of impressed - i figured.. tech.. english speaking.. this forum has got to be full of animal roastin' testosterone..