Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your random pics!

All this time and I thought the larger block under the tiny little long one was the emitter! Good job!

Its very blurry and only focuses on the area the lights emitting from , it was just barely above lighting up and you can just about make out the bond wires .
37201112696_2116e981b3.jpg

Quite odd, did the blur comes from the lens?
Adjusting and focusing the cam to shoot the die perfectly is indeed difficult

All this time and I thought the larger block under the tiny little long one was the emitter!

I second that!! :D

I thought to play with a 473nm labby that I bought from trencheel303 some times ago. -After playing with it for a while I had an idea and I started to make an adapter for Sanwu 3x BE to fit labby. It seems to work quite well and it produces a really nice round dot.

I may have accidently figured out the setup that I could use for that 20km distance pointing which has been buggin me. :p

P1130432.jpg

P1130435.jpg

P1130437.jpg

P1130450.jpg

diachi

I thought to play with a 473nm labby that I bought from trencheel303 some times ago. -After playing with it for a while I had an idea and I started to make an adapter for Sanwu 3x BE to fit labby. It seems to work quite well and it produces a really nice round dot.

I may have accidently figured out the setup that I could use for that 20km distance pointing which has been buggin me. :p

DPSS or gas with a BE is the best choice for long distance. :beer:

P.S. We need more beam shots. ;)

DPSS or gas with a BE is the best choice for long distance. :beer:

P.S. We need more beam shots. ;)

That's for sure. They make the best Gaussian beams and with a BE have the best divergence specs you can get. Great idea, ArcticDude. + rep.

diachi

I mentioned Cambridge Bay in another thread so I figured I'd share some images I took there. It's like being on the moon up there. You think I'm far north? Yellowknife has nothing on Cambridge Bay. It was ~5°C when I was there in June.

WRWIDtZ.jpg

Got a ride up on a medevac plane returning to Cambridge Bay. I was working for a group of aviation companies at the time and one of the subsidiaries does the medevac flights for the NWT and Nunavut. My ride:

vNbfLHc.jpg

DEW Line site:

sJRETDL.jpg

Looking out over the town.

yJsyPBo.jpg

Radio antenna for an NDB (Non-Directional Beacon). NDBs are used for radio navigation, the technology is older but is still in use all over the world. This antenna was demolished on one of the trips I took to Cambridge Bay.

SWmYzAN.jpg

Some more radio antennas, not sure what for I'm guessing they are for HF communications or some such given the size and design. My friend that works for Nav Canada probably knows, he services this sort of thing (services the NDBs too).

GSepdMV.jpg

This one is from Kugluktuk, another northern community. Stopped there on the way back from Cambridge Bay to let off some passengers and pick up some others.

Ugy0rY3.jpg

And one more from Cambridge Bay. Not seeing trees for several days was weird... It really doesn't get much more desolate than that. I can only imagine what winter is like up there. One winter I called the base manager to see if he could go out to the hangar and check something for me. Turned out he couldn't leave his house as there was a blizzard going on and visibility was practically zero. It's just too dangerous to go out in that weather, easy to get lost and freeze to death.

oqhszYX.jpg

Yellowknife isn't as bad, we at least have trees. Picture was probably taken 200km or so outside of Yellowknife on the main highway. I hate driving that highway in the winter, it's covered in ice, visibility can be bad (especially when an 18 wheeler passes you going 100km/h the other direction), there's loads of massive bumps. There's herds of bison to look out for and there's only a few hours of good daylight. Pretty sure I nearly died on that road a couple years ago, I'll leave that story for another time.

7JBRKnM.jpg

This one is taken later that day at my destination, 300km outside of Yellowknife at Ft. Providence (second town on the highway heading south). Currently where my sister lives. Date and time is November 29th, 2:50PM. That's probably a couple inches of ice on the ground. Not sure what the temperature was but probably somewhere around -30°C.

vhXkPPl.jpg

Last one, the bridge (near Ft. Providence) that was finished back in 2012 (I think). The bridge links Ft. Providence, Behchoko and Yellowknife to the south. Before that we were fly in/ferry/ice road.

hSFXr45.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing some of you guys building cool lasers in your garage out of big 'ol equipment makes me want to give it a try. Here's what I've got so far, now I just need a lens, maybe a blue filter too? I'm going for 1W 1GHz burning laser. That is why they shape these things like a light bulb, because they turn radio energy into light right? :undecided:

57735d1507018024-post-your-random-pics-dsc02046-800x600-.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC02046 (800x600).jpg
    DSC02046 (800x600).jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC02045 (800x600).jpg
    DSC02045 (800x600).jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

BobMc

Nice idea with the 3x ArctDude! Just might have to try that with my 532. Great idea. :gj:

Last edited:
Those are some really nice pictures diachi, I always enjoy seeing pictures of the far North. I remember taking a flight back from Europe in January and around mid-flight we flew above Arctic Bay. For anyone interested, that's about a few hundreds of miles closer to the North Pole, and we're talking about mid-winter here. Sky from outside the window looks kinda like this at mid-day.

It's really insane how crazy the sunrise/sunset cycle can mess you up that far North, even at diachi's location!

flint-hills-highway-at-nautical-twilight-6489.jpg

-Alex

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Diachi, thanks for sharing those Cambridge bay pics; that is a very barren and desolate place indeed! :beer:

Those pics remind me that winter is on the way, and not something I'm looking forward to! :eek:

diachi

Those are some really nice pictures diachi, I always enjoy seeing pictures of the far North. I remember taking a flight back from Europe in January and around mid-flight we flew above Arctic Bay. For anyone interested, that's about a few hundreds of miles closer to the North Pole, and we're talking about mid-winter here. Sky from outside the window looks kinda like this at mid-day.

It's really insane how crazy the sunrise/sunset cycle can mess you up that far North, even at diachi's location!

-Alex

Yeah, can certainly mess with you, at least in the winter months! Great picture Alex! :)

Diachi, thanks for sharing those Cambridge bay pics; that is a very barren and desolate place indeed! :beer:

Those pics remind me that winter is on the way, and not something I'm looking forward to! :eek:

Not looking forward to it either, have some winterizing to do, I've been putting it off because I'm in denial! :D