Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your mA and mW

Wow! Lots of new info over the weekend. I updated the graph. It's lookin pretty good now!

Morgan

Wow! Lots of new info over the weekend. I updated the graph. It's lookin pretty good now!

Looks like I'll have to make more plots!

(Damnit! I'll have to dismantle this set up and advance the knowledge! I'm gonna send out some PMs so I don't get this wrong. Jayrob and others I apologise now!!!)

All for the science...

M
:)

I: 812mA
Po: 807mW

405-G-1

Was planning on plotting the diode...couldn't resist completing the build and seeing this new wavelength. Very nice indeed. :beer:

Will either take the build apart to plot or do it with the next diode.

Last edited:

jbtm

Anyone yet sure of the max power of these little buddies? Not sure if the member exists here (Please speak if you do :p ) but this is a quote from over in the world of 4HV.
They are run at 1.44A in the projector at a 30% duty cycle, I have on doing a burnin test at said 1.44A and so far after a day of burning I haven't been able to detect a drop in power (so it is within 0.5% of what it was this morning). Power output is about 2w depending on if you consider losses from the focusing lenses.

I haven't heard that they are been run that high in the projector. I think they're run at like 600-700mw depending on the setting. Spyderfire has one running at 1400ma putting out 1.2watts... or it might be the other way around.

jbtm

I haven't heard that they are been run that high in the projector. I think they're run at like 600-700mw depending on the setting. Spyderfire has one running at 1400ma putting out 1.2watts... or it might be the other way around.

Never know...He put the projector on for awhile and said the heatsink is cooled by fans on the projector, and the diodes on the heatsink range 40-60C...

I told him he should post his experiment on our forms...His current plans is to do 24-hour runs and every day add 200mA to the last run...His driver maxes out at 3A, and he does TEC cooling for consistence testing...
http://www.krazerlasers.com/lasers/445nm/

Last edited:
Where did they get these diodes from, the Roswell alien crash? I got one up to 2.2W at 1.8A OMFG! Power measured without a lens, diode did not appear to be damaged from this brief 5 minute test. The calibration accuracy of my high range meter is 10% so it could be low of 1.88W to as high as 2.42W. My guess is it's just about 2W... from a 5.6mm can...

Leaning toward a driver issue then...

Have you tried turning it down to 900mA's?

It's supposed to max out at 1000...

well I have all three jumpers soldered with the pot maxed out which, according to dr lava, should be give an output around 1200. I'm just gonna keep it at this setting and only do like 10 second burns.

I got mine running today @ 500mA/200mW using the aixis lens. The so called "dot" is a lot worse that I thought it would be. I've never seen a multimode laser "dot" before so it may be normal. The "dot" is about 2mm thick and 25mm wide about 40 feet away. It won't get any smaller than that.

Edit 1:

I just got a measurement using the 405-G-1 lens. It gives me 390mW! That's almost twice as much as the aixis 405 lens! I know part of it has to do with the distance between the diode and lens. We need to come up with something better. Or use whatever nova and wicked is using if their beam specs are anywhere close to what they say.

Edit 2:

I noticed the window on the diode was dirty so I cleaned it off. Now I get 369mW with the aixis and 415 with the G-1. I did measure twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Last edited:

jbtm

Simple air-can the window to clean it? I know its really small and fragile...So I'm always afraid to even mess with them...

There was some kind of white gunk on it so it needed more desperate measures.

Where did they get these diodes from, the Roswell alien crash? I got one up to 2.2W at 1.8A OMFG! Power measured without a lens, diode did not appear to be damaged from this brief 5 minute test. The calibration accuracy of my high range meter is 10% so it could be low of 1.88W to as high as 2.42W. My guess is it's just about 2W... from a 5.6mm can...

Bwhaaat? And it lasted for 5 minutes? These are amazing diodes. I must get one of these.