Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Planning DIY TPS63000 based driver

jib77

OK @ 810mA/4V ... Just waiting on supplies and hot air station to build another for 1.2A :)

Rafa

@ rafa,
Yea, I know a 741 is to dirty. It was just an example quick out of my head op amp that doesn't require the critical low value resistors. They do exist.
Actually the OPA3xx series looks promising. I think I stated that before in a post, maybe in another thread if not here.
I just walked in. I have a new grandaughter! 9lbs 21 1/2" long born early this morning.

Congratulations! MAn how old are you? I thaught you were younger, lolz

@Jib: How much did that cost to you? I NEED one of these too.:crackup:

@ rafa, I just turned 57. She is my 3rd grand child. hahaha

@ jib77, I bought a regulated power supply by the same company. I think you'll like that station.

@ rafa,
Yea, I know a 741 is to dirty. It was just an example quick out of my head op amp that doesn't require the critical low value resistors. They do exist.
Actually the OPA3xx series looks promising. I think I stated that before in a post, maybe in another thread if not here.
I just walked in. I have a new grandaughter! 9lbs 21 1/2" long born early this morning.

congratulations, grandpa :)

great, jib! hope that your equipment reaches soon.
oh, did you know that Dr. Lava drives are TPS 63010 based? just a comment.

jib77

oh, did you know that Dr. Lava drives are TPS 63010 based? just a comment.

I saw that on the thread where the guy was asking about schematics for it. Thats a BGA part, I cant imagine hand assembling those, these QFNs are nasty enough for me. My boss said you never know if a BGA has re-flowed unless you x-ray them.

I saw that on the thread where the guy was asking about schematics for it. Thats a BGA part, I cant imagine hand assembling those, these QFNs are nasty enough for me. My boss said you never know if a BGA has re-flowed unless you x-ray them.

wow.. anyone works with radiology plx? :p

pretty interesting. hope that all goes right for you.

drlava

You know a BGA has reflowed when you see it evenly drop down 200 microns and heat for an additional 10 seconds :)
jib77, I appreciate it that so far you have been taking your own path to development and aren't trying to copy my designs. Years ago when I released the first switching laser driver here it was a big deal because it enabled so many unique laser builds. Since then I have developed switching drivers that have served many laserists here. So despite what others may try to get you to do, thanks for taking your own tack and development course on these so far.

Last edited:

jib77

@Vaporizer ... Ive been looking for a bench PSU, where did you find your YiHUA?

@drlava ... thanks for the kind words. Those that want to copy are nuts, the fun is in the puzzle of making new things(at least for me). There's not even a price advantage once you factor in low quantity PCB/part pricing, the equipment required, and time.

gillza

What I appreciate about Jib77 approach to this is that he actually posted his schematic here so that knowing people could correct/suggest improvements and n00bs like me can look at it and learn. Thank you sir for sharing with us this information. If you ever decide to offer these and whatever next you design I will be amongst your first customers.

Well I myself have succesfully reflown some 1x1mm 4 pin BGA differential amplifiers. I spreaded a little bit of soldering paste so it would melt and act as a thermal bridge between pads and balls, and it went fine. Dunno how that method would work for higher pin count BGA's... My reflow station is basically the same jib77 has ordered, but without the iron part.

I tried last weekend to make a soldering stencil with the method I posted here, but wasn't successfull... the soldermasking polymer unstuck from the plastic sheet. I got a stencil, but a very brittle and useless one. I'll try to use cellulose as the base material.

About resistors and amplifier gain: a gain of 5 or 20 doesn't make a big difference, as low value resistors are still needed, and you don't have pots of those values. To make it adjustable, you'd have to do this:

dibsujo.png

Hope you understand what I mean.

BTW dudes, I'm now making a TPS63020 based driver. I was gonna try to make it adjustable, but I made this one fixed @1.25A for my 445 build. If this works, next one will be adjustable.

Oh, forgot it, jib77 sent me a sample of his driver and I confirm that it works! Some testing will be done (i hope soon...) and posted, but for now, it actually delievers 810mA's to a 4.3volts load from a half discharged 18650. It doesn't get hot (ran it for like 40 seconds and it was a bit warm to the touch (barely noticeable), but remember that warm for us is like 38-40ºC, and that's ice cold for the driver). He's done a very good job, for sure.

EDIT2: If you were wondering, yeah, that's crocodile clips xD.

Last edited:

gillza

Good luck with the driver! are you thinking about sharing the layout here? :)

Good luck with the driver! are you thinking about sharing the layout here? :)

Sure I will, if it works.
This is how the PCB looks:
imgp1546.jpg

That's totally homemade, still needs drilling. I'm gonna drill it and stuff it later. Hope everything works fine and I can get it working before I have to start studying...
It's made bigger than needed on pourpose, to have more heatsinking area. If it doesn't fit in my host i'll just cut the leftovers out.

I'm trying to get all the chips I want in a list so I can do it all in one shipment.
Always something to add..lol
I was looking at the TPS63020 as it has 4A switches.
I have more to do than time to do it all!

On the power supply.....I bought it off the bay from HK. hey had US sellers but the price was the same and the shipping was $14.50 UPS from HK and $45 from all US dealers USPS???? I had it in 5 days.
They posted the specs wrong.......I told them and the seller hooked me up with the manufacturer and then the engineer by email.
It was 15VDC 0-2A adjustable. The one I received was adjustable from .600ma - 2A.
I was worried it wouldn't fill the need for low power builds. They offered to send me another for shipping.....and I keep this one. They were determined for me to be happy.
The other one would only have been adjustable from 0-200ma. Sigh.that leaves a hole from 200ma -400ma. I asked for a schematic and they sent one. Not the one for it.
Typical we have one that covers all........not.
I finally tested it and below 600ma it auto senses the current and regulates it so it will work with all my drivers, projects and such. I don't want to ruin a diode testing it as it may want to give it all 2A!
So, all I lost was diode testing without the driver. I can live with that or add a resistor.
They are making one that does adjust 0-2A and there are some posted now. Just read carefully!

SUCCESS!
1.278Amps! FUCK YEAH!
(gonna study, i'll post pics & stuff tonight)