Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nichia 515nm 25mW Laser Diode Specs - Now Published

oh. I am very surprised actually. They don't cost much more than a tunable HeNe of the same power!

If they really do get to $20 a piece, this diode will finally spark me to do a knife edging project.

I am actually surprised by spec being such low power. Wasn't there information floating around that the green diode is 50mW+?

As for the 5.6mm package, I guess it's because they bundled the photodiode inside, instead of the early ones of 3.8mm.

Hmm, I think those are the OSRAM 520nm 80mW rated diodes. OSRAM is developing those for a new breed of green projector. LG and C@$!0 are both waiting for final development by summers end. 3.8mm LD

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the whole $20 thing is a misinterpretation. It is a goal that Micro vision needs to stay alive not an actual future projection. It's not impossible but I think it's very unlikely they will get reliable 520nm for <$20 by the end of the year. I hope I'm wrong

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the whole $20 thing is a misinterpretation. It is a goal that Micro vision needs to stay alive not an actual future projection. It's not impossible but I think it's very unlikely they will get reliable 520nm for <$20 by the end of the year. I hope I'm wrong

You're probably right, with that being said:

"I know I won't win, but it gives me 3 days to dream."
~Lottery player

Even at $220 they are a deal. I remember when guys were paying $300+ for a new, working Bluray drive just to rip it apart for the diode.

Theses greens are extremely rare. You can't just buy one from newegg.

AnthoT

Even at $220 they are a deal. I remember when guys were paying $300+ for a new, working Bluray drive just to rip it apart for the diode.

Theses greens are extremely rare. You can't just buy one from newegg.

Of they ever go to <100$ I'd be happy

Think of it this way, why would they spend so much time creating ultra-expensive green diodes if they're designed to replace green DPSS in "common" items? Give 'em time ;)

A guy named Will R. (last name not put for privacy reasons) was willing to sell 515nm diodes to me for $250 a piece but it turned out other larger buyers paid a premium to get them before me. I do believe that these will be under $200 by the end of the year.

A guy named Will R. (last name not put for privacy reasons) was willing to sell 515nm diodes to me for $250 a piece but it turned out other larger buyers paid a premium to get them before me. I do believe that these will be under $200 by the end of the year.

Will, also known as Laser66, is a member here and owns a laser parts website. There's a whole thread about his green diodes that I posted right over here