Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New! Sharp Diodes 1W 520nm & 5W 455nm & +2W 638nm

OK Kiddies...Ran up to 1.7A @ 2.9 VDC....really do not want to push more current .....for now. Output @ 1.1 W....but remember...we are losing a little going thru the C-Lenses !!
The beam geometry....when corrected with C-Lenses is fine for us....but too wide for fitting on Galvo mirrors in a projector application.... Optics is a Demanding Task Master !!

See pic...Beam looks good !!

MODS....Please consider moving this entire thread over to the Experimental section....This topic is not general....it is specific and experimental....IMNSHO !!

Later,
CDBeam

Attachments

• Red FAC PO tests 1.jpg
    Red FAC PO tests 1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 43

Coonie

It's not experimental. Experimental is for new technologies not yet seen. Nothing is new here. FAC lenses have been around for a very long time as well as laser diodes.

kecked

This could be useful for beams as getting a tight red beam with power is tough and you can swing it on a scanner set with large mirrors because speed is not as important for beams. Nice job, aligning such c lens set is not trivial.

SDG - The C-lenses used in this set-up are the exact same as offered in the GB.

Kecked - Yes ! Alignment experiments are demanding. In searching for the optimal alignment, I use a Lab X-Y translation table....and...I wear a White Lab Coat !! Hahaha !@!

Thanx for the comments " One is glad to be of service "

OK...sigh...in my opinion...these new diodes are experimental. I have been on LPF for 11 years....and can remember very little trials with FAC lenses....surly no operational results, and I seem to remember only a general lament that we could not get LD's with FAC lenses. Whatever. I did a LPF search, and found very little. FAC lenses are not new and LD's are not new. Members on LPF experimenting with FAC LD's is new.

The topic area for posting is somewhat subjective. What is of value, is that we experiment with this new offering and share those results.

CDBeam

CDB- What red diode are you working with?

How does the beam/spot compare to same unFac'd diode using the same optical c-lens set-up?

SDG - The C-lenses used in this set-up are the exact same as offered in the GB.

Kecked - Yes ! Alignment experiments are demanding. In searching for the optimal alignment, I use a Lab X-Y translation table....and...I wear a White Lab Coat !! Hahaha !@!

Thanx for the comments " One is glad to be of service "

OK...sigh...in my opinion...these new diodes are experimental. I have been on LPF for 11 years....and can remember very little trials with FAC lenses....surly no operational results, and I seem to remember only a general lament that we could not get LD's with FAC lenses. Whatever. I did a LPF search, and found very little. FAC lenses are not new and LD's are not new. Members on LPF experimenting with FAC LD's is new.

The topic area for posting is somewhat subjective. What is of value, is that we experiment with this new offering and share those results.

CDBeam
I’ve seen pictures of these FAC lenses and I can only image them being hand placed under a microscope. All interesting nonetheless. I’d like to try a mount one to some of the MM Mitsubishi OC diodes🤷‍♂️.
SGD

LS....I am working with This LD:

I believe it is a native Sharp diode.

Back in 2014, was the last time I was working with a Red LD....A P73 combined with 6X C-lenses....The " Dragon's Head " build....see link in my sig.

I cannot remember what the mRad achieved....will get back...It was tight !!! BUT....less output IIRC

CDBeam

I was under the impression it might be the Ushio HL63283HD.

I wonder if Jors has any more info on these?

I have a HL63283HD here. If turns out you have a FAC'd one we can compare notes on beam specs, PO, etc.

Well...Post #17 in the Dragon's Head build notes the beam geometry @ 11.1 x 9.5 @ 25 feet. This equates to a divergence of about 1.13 mRad. The current Red FAC has now delivered a mRad of 0.4 !!! Hmmm !!

The Dragon's Head set up was ...P73 + 2mmEFL Coli + 6X C-Lens pair....I think we cannot get the 2mmEFL Colli lens from Laser Show Parts lens anymore....as the LSP Website has been off-line....for about 15 months....at least.

With the Red FAC LD...we are using a G8 from DTR. That is available !

I do not know what the native LD is on the Red FAC. If you believe it to be the HL62383HD....You have more info than I do !! Good... Please test with a G8 and a set of 6X C-lenses and let us know ! Hmmmm....0.4mRad on the Red FAC is impressive....but the LD is @ $ 70 each !!

The take away....for me ….is that we can achieve impressive low divergence #'s with these FAC units....and do so while approaching Infinite Conjugation...I believe !!!

Thanx for your....er....ah...experiments LS !!!
:unsure: :unsure::devilish::devilish:

CDBeam

Note, Also output on the Dragon's Head was 925mW....we are at 175mW greater with the Red FAC LD !!

I do not know what the native LD is on the Red FAC. If you believe it to be the HL62383HD....You have more info than I do !! Good... Please test with a G8 and a set of 6X C-lenses and let us know ! Hmmmm....0.4mRad on the Red FAC is impressive....but the LD is @ $ 70 each !!

Unfortunately, I don't have an actual G8 here. I do have some other 8mm FL lenses to try. I do have the C-lenses. I am fairly certain the FA will be very badly clipped with the 8mm and no FAC.

.4mRad is real good. What is the near field like? Is the far field symmetrical or still bar shaped? If bar, what is the divergence in the other axis?

DATA DATA need more data. HAHA

Coonie

I got my diode in. I'll do some testing as soon as I set up my work space. I got a lot to unpack after the move.

Unfortunately, I don't have an actual G8 here. I do have some other 8mm FL lenses to try. I do have the C-lenses. I am fairly certain the FA will be very badly clipped with the 8mm and no FAC.

.4mRad is real good. What is the near field like? Is the far field symmetrical or still bar shaped? If bar, what is the divergence in the other axis?

DATA DATA need more data. HAHA

Well....the Near Field is a bar shape....max width about 7.5mm wide....approx. 100mm downbeam from the PCX lens. Look at the shape of the Near Field beam geometry as seen on the PCX lens... This large Near Field geometry is exactly why Jors did not want to use this LD on a Galvo Scanner set....

There are some large Scanner mirrors out there......like 10mm across the diag.....BUT....at a large amount of vector points....well...the Scanners struggle....or one slows the scan rate down....to....ah...12K....and that has issues also !!!

At least the HH format can tolerate a larger near field.

As to the Far Field geometry....well I measured at 13M and observed a 7mm x 7mm round cornered square. Again, this equates to less than a 0.4mRad.

The Far Field presentation exhibits a commonly observed aberration with C-Lenses.. Ghost Tails...and we have some. There are some Ghost tails present...some top and bottom....a smaller amount left and right. For those unfamiliar with my nomenclature...Ghost tails are a very faint shadow starting at the beam Far Field perimeter and extending outward tapering to a point. . These Ghost tails give the overall Far Field geometry a faint Star Like pattern. The Ghost tails can be masked out....but do creep back in....somewhat....at a much greater distances of the Far Field observation.

I would suggest you get a few G8 lenses....They may clip alittle….but for today....they are my GoTo Colli lens.

MMMmmmmmm...Data can only be generated....by that pesky word Experimenting....and Experimenting is based upon trials !!! I just luv to toot my horn !!!! HAHAHAHA !! Whatever !! Toot....Toot !!

CDBeam

Attachments

• montypythonhg0450 2.jpg
    montypythonhg0450 2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Wow! thanks for the info. Its def not a Ushio HL63283HD. The best I could do was around 1.5mRad with 8mm width at the aperture. You are doing about 2X better than achievable with a P73, indicating the emitter is about 1/2 the P73. I'm surprised Jors wasn't as exited as Im getting. If you halved the near field to around 4mm then the divergence would be around .8mRad. Perfect for scanners. This is really a big deal for lightshow guys like me.

NOW you have me worried.....I better recheck...and recheck again !!!! Especially the Near Field propagation. The closer one gets to the PCX plane....the smaller the Near Field geometry becomes !!! Maybe at 50mm distance 4~5mm wide....small enough for Scanners to capture !!!
Hmmmmm….Maybe this Red FAC is a good alternative for a more powerful/ less divergent Red LD....Lord knows....we have been waiting for years !!!
It is about time we have something better than the "DinoTech" P-73 Maybe Jors did not try the G8 + 6X C-lens combination !! Dunno !!

Regardless....The White Lab coat is essential to any meaningful SCIENCE !!! See Pic !!

Attachments

• MR.BEAM in coat 7 with text.jpg
    MR.BEAM in coat 7 with text.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 6
Well....I am having a difficult time for many hours now !!!!!! I will keep adjusting More !!!! ...But, For now, @ 125mm from the PCX....measured 11mm Nearfield beam width...Crap !!...Yea...11mm does not equal 7.5mm !!! The Near Field is not a measurement I paid much attention to...as it is not pertinent to the HH format....for we do not need to fit on Scanner Mirrors.

The lesson here is...I tightened things down to take NF measurements....Best I can get now is 8.25mm @ FF of 13M....which still calculates to 0.44mRad. Tried many combinations....including many distance variations...LD to PCV plane...…….Now.....250mm out...we drop down in NF width....to about 8.5mm…..SO...I suppose it depends on the distance...Red LD to Scanner mirrors !!!

Tired now....more tomorrow !!

CDBeam