Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New high power Rocket launch

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Congratulations on your latest launch, and making it to the "big time"! :gj:
I hope you get your motor's ignition technical difficulties figured out.

Congratulations on your latest launch, and making it to the "big time"! :gj:
I hope you get your motor's ignition technical difficulties figured out.

That's just us getting started. :thanks:

We have a film crew coming in about 2 weeks time for a major launch.
"supposedly" CBC rescheduled their original show spot and is turning part of the school into film set. Rumor has it that the University of Victoria
is also going to launch something with our rail system too. :wave:

2 problems with the last launch:
The igniters had too small a surface area to light the motors properly and have been sent back to the company.
The engines that broke apart sound like they had organic perchlorates forming from poor manufacturing.

" a bad batch of motors if you will", so they detonated inside the fuel grain without igniting the rest of the fuel.
Our supplier is giving us some fresh motors and proper ignitors this time. :)

Last edited:

Encap

Getting ready for another launch soon. New motors incoming. :thinking:

Nice video. Nice work. :gj:

Good luck with the ignition mod and new motors.

Looking forward to details and video of next successful launch

This past Saturday, we tested a new motor from a new batch sent to us last week from our main supplier. The Rocket was a 29mm minimum diameter fiberglass kit from a company in Ontario. Weight unloaded is almost 1Kg.
The weekend launch was an impressive display of the Aerotech "NT" branded motors. aka .. New Blue Thunder.

The launch was an excuse to test the new motors with my new firing electronics. As was mentioned earlier, I built the firing electronics off an Arduino countdown timer. The Arduino delivers a long 5V pulse to the main battery box which contains an SSR(60VDC 30A rated solid state relay) , key lockout and a 12V ~8Ahr gel cell. The system is able to be modified to use
higher voltages for lighting hybrid rocket motors as well. The arduino uses
the timer.h library and can be adjusted from 5sec to 60secs launch delay.
the countdown in seconds is displayed on a 7 segment display from sparkfun.

Results:
The rocket travelled 1.513Km ~1Mile, at a peak velocity of 1087.1 km/h.

All and all not bad, though we have had faster and higher altitudes with our lighter rockets. This is the first time we have launched with the new altimeter III from Jolly logic

The graph is the data from my iPhone via bluetooth.

attachment.php

58006d1509470477-new-high-power-rocket-launch-screen-shot-2017-10-28-11-00-01-pm.png

Attachments

• screen-shot-2017-10-28-at-10-59-16-pm.png
    screen-shot-2017-10-28-at-10-59-16-pm.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 23
  • screen-shot-2017-10-28-at-11-00-01-pm.png
    screen-shot-2017-10-28-at-11-00-01-pm.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 102
  • flightgraph.png
    flightgraph.png
    41 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice work, Seoul, do you have any videos of this baby in action? :D

Nice work, Seoul, do you have any videos of this baby in action? :D

Just the video from the ground. No camera on this rocket due to the size of it. 2" dia body tube.

I am working on fixing one of our RC run cams that bricked due to a firmware problem. Once I unbrick it, that camera is going into a nosecone as the internals are small enough to fit perfectly. :wave:

Last edited:
Well you never know what you might find in a gun vault.

A fellow shooter was cleaning out his storage magazine found something of a relic from long ago. This might bring back some memories for those of you in your late 40's - early 50's.

58216d1510628787-new-high-power-rocket-launch-img_3069.jpg

attachment.php

No, I am not going to set any of these engines off. As Indiana Jones would say, they belong in a museum. These are the first ever NAR certified Engines after Vernon Estes sold his company (Estes) to the Damon Corporation.

Hopefully the pictures bring back some memories.... October sky

Attachments

• IMG_3070.JPG
    IMG_3070.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3069.JPG
    IMG_3069.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Not a small rocket enthusiast, so I don't recognize them, but have enjoyed living vicariously through your pursuit of the hobby. :yh:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice bit of nostalgia you've found there, Seoul! :cool:
Estes used to be my main allowance drain back in the mid to late 60's.

Oh..Good Grief....Step into the " Way Back Machine, Sherman " !!!
Ah yes...Estes Model Rocketry...." Nerd Central " ...starting about 1966.
My first ...er....ah...."Model Rocket passenger".....IIRC...Was placed in a small. single stage model rocket....called the "Astron". I hollowed out the balsa nose cone....jammed a live fly in there....all he said was....errrr... "Buzz, buzzzz....buzzzzzz WTF Bzzzzzzzz ??? "
Well....this was one of the first rocket's I sent aloft...I was not versed with the back charge used to eject the parachute....and that this model being so light...had no parachute deployment anyway.

SO....IIRC....I just used a small strip of scotch tape to entomb the fly inside the nose cone section...HHAHAHAHA....Little did I realize that the rocket engine back charge....would blast upward....an....errrrr.....ahhhhh.... fry the poor fly....into oblivion !!!....being that the tape basically fixed the nose cone to the rocket body in the hot 1966 August Sun !!! So it goes !!!!
Ah yes....another Sacrifice for Science !!! Ah...the memories....the excitement !!! I have more stories....as our little group of Model Rocket enthusiasts....slowly turned.....to the " Dark Side " ...a variant of the hobby surly not outlined in the " Model Rocket Safety
Creed "
I will regal you of these adventures....in a later thread !!! MMMMMM....
" To Infinity and Beyond " HAHAHAHAhhahahaahaaa
CDBEAM

Last edited:
Hi Some awesome pics yes those fuel cells bring back memories i used to do this a long time ago.
You better watch out North korea might be tracking your launches pal.

Rich:)

Hi Some awesome pics yes those fuel cells bring back memories i used to do this a long time ago.
You better watch out North korea might be tracking your launches pal.

Rich:)

:thinking: Man, what would I do to get my hands on an ICBM! :p

Last edited: