Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Apple iPad official!

C'mon guys, it's got Wifi/n for Hi-def streaming, and wider areas of use. Blu-tooth, an instant boot-up time, and of course it runs special apps! Do you know how many productivity apps are available for these?

Why would you want USB ports? It's not a laptop. This is a device that you sync with iTunes on another computer. It's not like you put USB ports on digital cameras, flash drives, or other i-pods. I will be getting one, because I can see where I could make a lot of use with something that does all that it does in such a lightweight package. Its an i-pod touch that's comfortable to browse the web with! That's enough for me!

Do what you want man, but I'd rather take that money and get an actual computer, not a bloated ipod touch

C'mon guys, it's got Wifi/n for Hi-def streaming, and wider areas of use. Blu-tooth, an instant boot-up time, and of course it runs special apps! Do you know how many productivity apps are available for these?

Why would you want USB ports? It's not a laptop. This is a device that you sync with iTunes on another computer. It's not like you put USB ports on digital cameras, flash drives, or other i-pods. I will be getting one, because I can see where I could make a lot of use with something that does all that it does in such a lightweight package. Its an i-pod touch that's comfortable to browse the web with! That's enough for me!

You can do whatever you want with your money... but have you even seen the new tablets that have been presented for this 2010?

HP, MSI, Asus and other companies have already developed (and showed) tablets which I'm sure will be shipping in Q2 of 2010.

Thing is, they'll probably have more open source OSs. With Apple you can only do what they allow you to do, and that's one of my major complaints about them.

Even a Google tablet is rumoured... The evidence is right here, see the Nexus One and try to even start to compare it to an iPhone.

Now a GOOGLE tablet I might be interested in... though I have not even heard of any other tablets to be released. If there are more tablets coming, then it's not like it's only Apple trying to create a market for them, everyone else may be as well!

Apple OSs are sooo smooth. I will pick up an Asus if Windows or Linux can develop something faster, and easier to use than Windows 7 Tablet PC edition.

The funny thing is that it actually does have room for more buttons, even if the buttons were like the home button, they should have added some. Some multimedia keys may be beneficial, or if it were to be used as a replacement kindle then maybe some arrow keys?

The funny thing is that it actually does have room for more buttons, even if the buttons were like the home button, they should have added some. Some multimedia keys may be beneficial, or if it were to be used as a replacement kindle then maybe some arrow keys?

You can "manually" turn the page on the iPad, or touch a "next" button that appears if you tap the screen. The less moving parts that any device has, the less of a chance of failure it has!

You can "manually" turn the page on the iPad, or touch a "next" button that appears if you tap the screen. The less moving parts that any device has, the less of a chance of failure it has!
Less buttons = failure IMO

I likes me some buttons :D

Don't judge it just yet. That big display actually opens up new possibilities for developers. I would love to make (or see) a sketchbook/diary/mindmapping/GTD app for this.

It's an interesting move by apple in my opinion. I mean it really is just an over sized ipod touch, but it also has a lot of the functionality of a computer. I mean it can do your basic daily tasks that your computer can do, and it is thin and touch screen. Something like that from apple you would certainly not expect it to be as much it is. I know what I saw the price I started considering it. But only if they add some more useful functionality to it. Otherwise I'm happy with my linux box.

I thought the same thing but Steve Jobs said better than a laptop so that's what I expected. The thing is it's not better than a laptop. Better than a laptop has the features of one plus more. I still think it's cool but not worth it.

Asherz

Well,

I can understand where everyone is coming from, but Apple have an ability to create a market, people are saying it's just another ipod touch, but it's not... Yes the homescreen is the same but the new software available and updated full screen applications are great.

This is designed for someone who doesn't own an iphone or an imac, and I think people are forgetting this also comes in cheaper than the iphone? And yet look how much more you get.

I think this product is going to be a lot better than people believe when it's released, and for £300 I can't say no.

Another thing is, you can't think of this as a complete product, the only reason the iphone and ipod touch is where they are at this date is due to the hacking community, and the potential on this tablet is amazing, there will almost certainly be something released by them for this.

Also Niko, what are your issues with the keyboard? It's fully functional except it's touch screen, and it's not like it's any harder to use, I have no issue typing on my ipod touch and thats only a few inches wide, unless for some reason a glass touching surface instead of plastic keys effects you in some weird way :s

Although this isn't everything I expected it to be, that's our own fault for hyping it up so much, the actual product it's self is a great piece of technology, and so what if the design is an upscaled ipod? I personally love the design of the touch, why change something that works so well?

Asherz

With Apple you can only do what they allow you to do, and that's one of my major complaints about them.

Sorry for a double post, but just re-read this, and this is a blatant lie? How do you think the app store came about? When the iPod was released it didn't have any of that software, it was all hacked with 3rd party apps...

jaycey

Gotta agree with ya Ash, I love my podtouch and the thought of a larger screen and added functionality is putting this at the top of my shopping list.

Asherz

Gotta agree with ya Ash, I love my podtouch and the thought of a larger screen and added functionality is putting this at the top of my shopping list.

Have you got 1st gen or the newer ones? And yea I can wait it's out in March for sale, but apparently UK won't be getting iBooks as soon as the US does :( I'm gonna be putting all my school study books on there, save me having to lug around all these fat text books lol.

mfo

If it wasn't made by Apple and had the exact same specifications, nobody would even give it a second thought.

I couldn't have said it better. This is one of the reasons I don't like apple, because 99% of their products are crap, and they brainwash the public.

I was on some news site and a reporter got to play with one and said when you make the apps full screen they look really bad like blowing up a really small picture is what I thought. Maybe they will fix this before it ships or in a update. I still like it, I just expected more. I will wait till prices drop or the Ipad 2nd Gen comes out.

ZRTMWA

ipad4.jpg