Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 9mm 445 diodes

I think you all are WAY over thinking this lens thing lol. Whats so hard about snapping the holder in half with some pliers? Seriously, it took me about 10 seconds and the lens popped away which took me another 10 seconds to run my fingernail along the glue to chip it off...

DTR

I think you all are WAY over thinking this lens thing lol. Whats so hard about snapping the holder in half with some pliers? Seriously, it took me about 10 seconds and the lens popped away which took me another 10 seconds to run my fingernail along the glue to chip it off...

I almost agree with this other than I would let it soak overnight in Alcohol as I have cracked a few lenses without softening the glue first.:)

gillza

well so far no one has really done anything crazy except for soaking it in 50% HCl... i mean the most concentrated solution I've seen was 37% (Sigma Aldrich) and that will most likely take care of the metal lens holder as well if left long enough. Overkill :)

well so far no one has really done anything crazy except for soaking it in 50% HCl... i mean the most concentrated solution I've seen was 37% (Sigma Aldrich) and that will most likely take care of the metal lens holder as well if left long enough. Overkill :)

That was the intent. It disolved the holder in a couple of minutes.

gillza

Whats so bad about dissolving the AR?

AR - anti reflective coating. No coating - more light gets reflected back inside the module - less light gets through - less output--

This will also affect the refraction of the light ,changing lens parameters, I'd wager.

People more optics-savvy please comment on how this affects other beam parameters.

Last edited:
Oh i didn't know what AR meant. I was thinking that any coating would be better to have it taken off so it is more 'pure'
guess i was wrong.

I could get a hold of 100% HCL if I wanted. I wonder how long it would take for me to dissolve the holder.

I could probably get some HF too... and dissolve the glass lens as well. Who wants those pesty lenses getting in the way of your diodes anyway.

Last edited:
Soooo We are deliberately changing the compsition of our AR coatings now?

Guys...

I just looked at some of the stuff you guys have been posting to try and get the lens out and i dont know to ROTFL or actually be serious and explain to you how easy it is to get the lens Out.:p

Seriously you guys are going way to deep into this.

I can only imagine how some of you try to take a stain out of a piece of clothing.:crackup:

All jokes aside really guys just Grab the lens bracket with 2 pliers and break it off.

Here is a video i made how i do it for anyone that wants to do it my way. I found it much easier and safer with less risk of slipping with the 2 pliers.

Just wiggle the plier a little to break the glue tension and thats it. You dont even have to break the bracket that holds the lens.

Hope it helps:

All this chemical talk is just crazy talk.:crackup:

Guys...

I just looked at some of the stuff you guys have been posting to try and get the lens out and i dont know to ROTFL or actually be serious and explain to you how easy it is to get the lens Out.:p

Seriously you guys are going way to deep into this.

I can only imagine how some of you try to take a stain out of a piece of clothing.:crackup:

All jokes aside really guys just Grab the lens bracket with 2 pliers and break it off.

That is exactly what I did, and I am as baffled as you are as to why its being made far more complicated than it needs to be.

Last edited:
Alright guys.

So Ive held off showing this for some time because i wanted to do some testing on these diodes.

I have tested Many 9mm diodes and to my Surprise Ive seen quit a few claim 3W or 3W+ at 2.2A NOT Chilled but i found after viewing some of there test results the drop seemed different. The drop was much slower then a normal drop. Trying to reproduce this Slow drop lead me to see that "Possible" There laser where Slightly Colder then room Temp Which would give a higher peak since 445nm diode do very quit a bit as i show a while ago in an earlier post..

When a 445nm is Chilled or Colder then room temp you see a slow smooth like drop and a Much Higher peak. Even a few C difference can change the power drastically.

So keep in mind those out there that have tested above 3W please do a Temp reading of your laser prior to your LPM test. They say 20C is Room temp but realistically its more like 23C-25C. I woul dlike to see and gather more Numbers on this.

So after testing so many of these diodes out and not able to find a true 3W+ diode at room Temp i final struck Gold and found a REAL true FREAK. One that will Blow you away and the crazy part is at Room Temp.:D

I cant wait to to test this diode Chilled but for now we can drool over this.:drool:

Iam Using a G lens:

It would have been hard for me to set up a tripod so sorry for the shaky hand.

I will be setting this up on a TEC soon and see what i get. I also have another thought in my mind about getting a little more power out of these diodes but i have not tried it yet. Ill keep you guys posted.

:beer:

You know you love lasers when its 5am and you have not gone to bed.:p

Last edited:

DJNY

^Unbefuckinglievable :beer:

So you´re going to put this into a TEC chilled host with delay-start driver for your personal collection? :)

Blord

Wow, these 9mm diodes can be pushed very far. Interesting to see how well it is going to hold under a TEC.

gillza

I could get a hold of 100% HCL if I wanted. I wonder how long it would take for me to dissolve the holder.

I could probably get some HF too... and dissolve the glass lens as well. Who wants those pesty lenses getting in the way of your diodes anyway.

Um.. now that's crazy talk. 100% HCl is a gas and it does not exist in such concentrations anyway.

I'm going to purchase a diode this week (paycheck yay) and all I plan on doing is soften the glue in acetone (so when I brake the holder id does not adhere to the lens too much) and brake off the holder as others described. Then just wipe the lens gently with microfiber cloth and that's it. No nails, nothing sharp to scrape it off.. don't want any scratches.

Last edited: