Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 9mm 445 diodes

That's rather odd. Try popping out the lens and wiping it down with a lens cleaning cloth or maybe you have dust on the diode window. You could also have both at the same time lol.

Last edited:

Diode is OK. Works fine with other lenses. Just can't get this one to work.
I'll take it apart and try cleaning again.

I have been testing out various currents on my diode while running it in a very large heatsink and it can take up to 3A before it starts dimming.

Blord

I found a good way to remove the lens from the lens holder.

Take two pairs of pliers and grab a side of the holder in each one. Then bend both at the same time down away from the lens. The lens should just pop free as the holder snaps in half. I then scraped the glue off the lens with my fingernails and popped it in one of DTR's barrels. Done :D

Just the way I did here :D
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/new-9mm-445-diodes-73284-18.html#post1093217

Running them at 3A may not be the best current. You are way past the optimum point of 2.1-2.2A. The mW/mA curve start to drop here dramatically.

Just the way I did here :D
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/new-9mm-445-diodes-73284-18.html#post1093217

Running them at 3A may not be the best current. You are way past the optimum point of 2.1-2.2A. The mW/mA curve start to drop here dramatically.

I was just testing. My goal was to find my diode's dim point so I knew what I was working with. I have an X-Drive set to 2.2A and now I am waiting for my Ultrafire L2 host from Flaminpyro... who has mysteriously disappeared for the last 3 days...

Last edited:

Onryo

I am waiting for my Ultrafire L2 host from Flaminpyro... who has mysteriously disappeared for the last 3 days...

Jeff's cat Alice just passed away as said. As if that did not suck enough his cat Socks was most likely killed/eaten by a Mt. Lion 3 months ago. If you have ever lost a close pet you will know just how much stuff like really hurts. You will get your gear. Don't worry Jeff is a good guy. Don't need to swamp him with "where is my stuff" mails at the moment.

I was wondering if anybody has used Blord's acetone method to remove the lens of the 9mm? Blord used ethanol. In Sweden you can't get ethanol over 40% or so. I am a bit worried about the AR coating going bye bye with the acetone?

All the best
Onryo

I was wondering if anybody has used Blord's acetone method to remove the lens of the 9mm? Blord used ethanol. In Sweden you can't get ethanol over 40% or so. I am a bit worried about the AR coating going bye bye with the acetone?

I wouldn't risk it, The metal lens holder is quite brittle, and easy to break off / break apart

Last edited:
Jeff's cat Alice just passed away as said. As if that did not suck enough his cat Socks was most likely killed/eaten by a Mt. Lion 3 months ago. If you have ever lost a close pet you will know just how much stuff like really hurts. You will get your gear. Don't worry Jeff is a good guy. Don't need to swamp him with "where is my stuff" mails at the moment.

Its cool. We talked not long after I posted that and I fully understand what he is going through and told him to take as much time as he needed. I wasn't so worried that he took off or anything I was mainly saying that thinking maybe someone might have known what he was up to.

gillza

All the best
Onryo

remember the rule. Like dissolves like. Acetone is an organic compound and the coating on the lens is not. so you should not have any problems.

Last edited:
To share my experience, I remove the lens with sulfiric ether without pliers. I just left it overnight.

gillza

To share my experience, I remove the lens with sulfiric ether without pliers. I just left it overnight.

You must have an access to organic chemistry lab :) This is a great alternate solution but, to all those who think about using diethylether like this to remove the lens keep in mind that they are:
1) monitored substances as they are used to make drugs.
2) can form explosive peroxides if left to dry out, heated, or just left as is in the container.
3) freaking expensive :)

Essentially any organic solvent should do the trick with the glue.

I used 50% HCL. Planned on letting it sit over night but it only took a couple of minutes.
Lens is fine, no glue. Don't know if it did anything to the coating.
Haven't been able to mount it yet.

gillza

I used 50% HCL. Planned on letting it sit over night but it only took a couple of minutes.
Lens is fine, no glue. Don't know if it did anything to the coating.
Haven't been able to mount it yet.

That most definitely did destroy the coating. The most common AR coating used is MgF2 so you just made MgCl2 and HF....