Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Help in Soldering? For Beginners - Solder & Flux 101

Cheech

I think the more flux the better/faster
I use these for pin heatsinks and other solder stuff. but i always put the diode in a module before soldering.
213586644.jpg

loveum

I think the more flux the better/faster
I use these for pin heatsinks and other solder stuff. but i always put the diode in a module before soldering.

loveum

Pin heatsinks? Hmm how does that work... ?

Last edited:
I like flux, but sometimes I'm wary of it because it might cause solder to "stick" to surfaces that I don't want them to (like the case of the diode). That stuff is so damn sticky too.

Make sure you clean your stuff with alcohol once your soldering is done.

Here are some nice videos on soldering. This one is also good.

Finally, when you're done soldering, or will leave your soldering iron on in its holder longer than 1 minute, load your soldering iron tip with solder so it is protected from the air. Then when you're ready to use it again, clean the tip and begin soldering again. You really should never need to replace your soldering iron tips if you treat them right. Some people suggest filing them down, etc. when they don't conduct heat very well anymore, but that was only because they were abused already. You should not mechanically damage your tips (e.g. filing); they have special coatings that allow the solder the more easily leave the tip as well as conduct heat.

Someone needs to make a video on soldering a laser specifically. (Attaching the driver to diode module, etc)!

step right up ;-)
there are a few other good soldering tutorials out there. seek and ye shall find

I've just bought a 30watt iron and the tip doesn't conduct heat very well, it melts the solder 1/2 way up the shaft, but not the tip, is it buggered ? my 50w was fine but that
went kaput using a .8mm lead free solder

For a first time builder/solderer, this was a very helpful video. I have almost finished my practice board that I ordered. The flux that I got from Flaminpyro works wondrously.

My brother got me introduced to HobbyKing. I haven't had any problems with them and they sell variable temperature Soldering Irons for a great price. They also have warehouses located around the world. This should save you a bit of money. Best of luck :beer:

Accessories such as a stand, clamps, tweezers, and desoldering tools, are the real wallet drain. The are essential though.

Also don't get the thick stranded solder, or the lead free solder both suck.

Also I find it easier to use a curved soldering tip rather than a straight one. It makes it easier to get to the joint without having to tilt the iron at a funny angle. I am very uncoordinated though.

How much should I spend on a soldering iron for smaller projects (projects with potentially tiny solders)?