Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Help in Soldering? For Beginners - Solder & Flux 101

Benm

Do you actually need separate flux when hand soldering?

I usually find that the rosin core leaded solder does just fine as it is. Some extra flux can be handy on heavily corroded parts, but for fresh from the box components and such it makes little sense.

Perhaps you need it when you're working with lead free solder, but there really is no reason to do that for hand soldering. Just re-tin stuff with ordinary tin-lead rosin core solder before use if required.

One issue with pre-tinned leadfree stuff is that it mixes with the normal solder adding extra tin so the mixture is no longer eutectic. With trough hole components like laser diodes this usually is no problem, but it can get a bit shitty with smaller smd packages.

I'm planning to attempt my first build in the near future so I'm glad I came across this post. I was starting to nod off during the end but found it informative none the less. Thanks for posting it.

word of advice - try not to inhale excessively during the soldering phase. It may make you unnecessary giddy [jk - it's not good fo ryou]. A breathing pattern in which you exhale when you solder is generally a good long term health-related practice.

Yes,
Eutectic solder ☑

So, is it necessary to have any additional flux? Or is it fine without any because it is in the solder...
Thanks so much for the answers guys! :yh:

Yes, I highly recommend solder flux when working with eutectic solder. The flux in the solder isn't enough in many cases.
I would strongly recommend water based flux like pen below as it contains a fast evaporating alcohol that drys the solder area out quickly so that the area is able to be soldered to very quickly. ( the liquid inside the pen is also available and is more or less identical to MG Chemicals - No Clean Flux
You can still get this pen below despite it not being offered on Sparkfun anymore.
Or alternatively, you could try