Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

My Furst Custom laser 7W+ NUBM0E

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Is it possible to put the laser through a fiber cable, come out the other end, and compress the light?
Sadly, the laws of physics won't let us get a tighter beam that way. If you want your '44 to have a tighter beam you'll need to invest in a cylindrical lens pair or some anamorphic prisms.

GeramyL

No, a length of fiber will not improve your lasers coherence length, it will make it worse.....unless you are pumping an active fiber gain medium such as double clad doped fiber, but it's not a simple process.

Let’s just take for example the fiber lasers made by CloudRay or Raycus they make 1075nm I believe láser sources then they output the light in a cable and put that cable in a laser head which then outputs the light with lenses and such. Is that not possible with the 445nm diodes? The fiber cable should refract the light and come out nearly the same as it entered right?

RedCowboy

No your light out of the fiber will be less collimated.

Also the 445nm multi mode laser diodes have uneven divergence, that is it's not a Gaussian beam like a dpss 532nm, it's a rectangle shaped beam with the fast axis divergence being much greater than the slow axis, that's the 1st issue you must overcome if you want a better beam.

Single mode fiber has a much smaller inner dia. but multi mode fiber has a much wider inner dia. which adds to the issue, but the Raycus fiber laser uses double clad fiber with the inner fiber being doped with elements such as erbium and ytterbium making it a gain medium, this is called active fiber.

In an active fiber laser your pump sources contained by the outer core drive the inner core gain medium which produces a high quality beam.

Fiber-laser-Single-clad-double-clad-fiber-600x268.jpg

GeramyL

No your light out of the fiber will be less collimated.

Also the 445nm multi mode laser diodes have uneven divergence, that is it's not a Gaussian beam like a dpss 532nm, it's a rectangle shaped beam with the fast axis divergence being much greater than the slow axis, that's the 1st issue you must overcome if you want a better beam.

Single mode fiber has a much smaller inner dia. but multi mode fiber has a much wider inner dia. which adds to the issue, but the Raycus fiber laser uses double clad fiber with the inner fiber being doped with elements such as erbium and ytterbium making it a gain medium, this is called active fiber.

In an active fiber laser your pump sources contained by the outer core drive the inner core gain medium which produces a high quality beam.

Not to sound dumb but can’t you use a FAC Lense to help? I have been thinking CO2 laser or 450nm laser source box. I really like the 450nm high output lasers. I was also seeing that you can get the beam down to about 0.08mm square

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
GeramyL you cannot make a false quote with someone elses name. Edit your post or it gets deleted. This is your first warning