Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 445nm (lab) build

ped

Hi guys, i wanted to build a 1.2W 445nm laser that would have a high duty cycle, so i built this, with forced air cooling and a custom mount. I'm also using a die cast metal box, but to add even more cooling, the Aixiz is firmly fastened to the aluminium mount, which is screwed to the case, using thermal compound as well. Ive used 2 18650's in series and a geareb LM317 driver circuit , the 317 itself is mounted directly to the metal case for heatsinking. Ive put a charger socket in and built a custom charger. On the input of the charger socket ive added filter components just to be sure. Anyway see the pics let me know what u think.

The start of the aluminium mount

24zf71d.jpg

The aluminium mount cut to approximate size

id7x44.png

The host

2q3u5h1.jpg

The mount and aluminium spacer before being offered up

2l936v6.jpg

Auminium mount installed & fastened with screws & HS compound

1070500.jpg

Front view

24v1fux.jpg

On/off switch & charger socket installed

29mvc4h.jpg

Battery & driver circuit installed & cabled up

ziwt44.jpg

20sdkia.jpg

Fan installed

mkakav.jpg

Final wiring

9bi3ja.jpg

Fired up & calibrated (fan running)

xen721.jpg

Finished long duty cycle laser with an auto bulb for size reference, 3 different angles.

2zjmblz.jpg

16c9r3l.jpg

k828x.jpg

And thats it! ive added some rubber feet and the unit is undergoing tests for battery longevity and thermal stability. The fan drawes cool air across the back of the LD and blows it out of the vent on the RHS , i plan to add more heatsink fins on the inside of the case to further add efficiency to the cooling process.

Last edited:

Nice --- Any measurements on diode current to get 1.2 Watts? You might have a HOT one!!

HMike

Is that silver port on the back next to the battery for charging the internal batts?

ped

Nice --- Any measurements on diode current to get 1.2 Watts? You might have a HOT one!!

HMike

Im going to be taking measurements later, and yes it runs warm..but the fan keeps it under control.

Is that silver port on the back next to the battery for charging the internal batts?

Yup thats the charger socket.

As you stated you will want to add some fins to that heat sink. take an old pc heat sink if you can find a square one and cut it and use them. they are great.

Good job! Nice layout. How about the obligatory beam shot in a dark room? I'm working on my labby and will have solved my last problem once I find a 5 ohm 100watt resistor.

He means the angled piece you have holding it is it aluminum or steel................

ped

Good job! Nice layout. How about the obligatory beam shot in a dark room? I'm working on my labby and will have solved my last problem once I find a 5 ohm 100watt resistor.

Beam shots coming later :)

Nice build, I like very much the idea of a metal case. Just one thing... It seems like there are little contact between aixiz module & alum heatsink, lot of the aixiz module is exposed not being heatsinked, does this feel hot to finger? Remember, we don't like very hot things near the diode.