Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

modwerx will be closing 10% off everything in store

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTR

Man this sucks....:cryyy:

Now who am I going to refer people to for lower power diodes.:thinking:

Your site was a great asset. Sorry to see you go. Best of luck man.:beer:

damn, i hope all is well drew. altho i haven't been in the hobby that long i can say this is one quality store, and i hate to see it go. i bought my first lpc diode here. thanks for the extra 10% incentive to shop.:beer:

i came off too harsh sorry quack :beer: been a LOOONNNGGG day

andrew again im sad to see you go i have always recommended you and i still remember buying all the parts for my first build

rckstr driver
test load
lpc diode( ended up buying 3 messed up twice :p)
aixiz module
glass lens

anyways i just bought some stuff...and will you please let us know the reason for closing im very curious this is upsetting news ...

Sorry to see Modwerx go. I've purchased from you a few times and was always pleased with the products and service.

D

Deleted member 16589

This was where I bought my first Diode ( Well sled it was a PHR-803T sled ).

Ill miss getting my orders so fast :(

the reason im closing is bc people are always complaining about lower prices.. i now have to pay close to 4000$ in taxes and people dont seem to realize how much work it takes to get stuff done along with having a full time 40+hr a week job. the stress is just not worth my time anymore especially with business being as slow as it has been.

I've stayed on the hobby side as much as possible but I can't continue to work for free. I had just got back to the point of trying to build a scanner.. had plans to start selling a complete scanner kit including a baseplate where all u would have to add were the lasers.. Other sites still charge more than I do and u still don't always get the sevice that I give. I have gotten to the point where I only ship 3 times a week now instead of every day like I used to and that's mainly bc its just been so slow. Before I posted this thread I had 1 order since the last time I packed up orders on Tuesday to ship Wednesday.. I really do appreciate the support you guys have given me but with the economy the way it is and especially taxes I can't justify keeping it open much longer.

daguin

the reason im closing is bc people are always complaining about lower prices.. i now have to pay close to 4000$ in taxes and people dont seem to realize how much work it takes to get stuff done along with having a full time 40+hr a week job. the stress is just not worth my time anymore especially with business being as slow as it has been.

It is virtually impossible to compete in this market now

The level of research and "sharing" information about sources that goes on now depresses the prices to an unrealistic level.

Add to that the reality that little Johnny will do a GB "at cost" just to get the parts for one "free" laser and the potential to be able to charge a realistic "profit" virtually disappears

NooB's especially forget (or never knew) that keeping stock on hand costs money.
They don't realize that if you run a store, you have to pay taxes and other business expenses
They do not realize that a person MUST feel some compensation for taking time away from their family and life to run a store
They do not yet realize how much the convenience of just being able to click a button to get a single part is really worth

I thank you for all the effort you have put in trying to make this a viable storefront
You have provided a service to the community that is difficult to duplicate
+1

Hang around on the hobby side again
It may yet prove to be "fun" again

I'll stop by the store later

Peace,
dave

Yep I totally agree with Dave. I have been self employed for the 32 years (20 with my dad) the last 12 by myself. I don't know how you guys do it fulltime job and then deal with people whining about a buck or two :scowl: It is all about customer service. Good luck with life and enjoy it to the fullest.

Are you done for good?
Whatever the case dont let the modwerx/modwerx.com name disappear. I would think it has some value, maybe someone else would like to buy the domain name off you???
You made it have a good reputation and reliability.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16589

:( that sucks :cryyy:
Will you still be around on the forum.

sorry to see you go, thank you for your great services to us all Andrew.

It is virtually impossible to compete in this market now

The level of research and "sharing" information about sources that goes on now depresses the prices to an unrealistic level.

Add to that the reality that little Johnny will do a GB "at cost" just to get the parts for one "free" laser and the potential to be able to charge a realistic "profit" virtually disappears

NooB's especially forget (or never knew) that keeping stock on hand costs money. They don't realize that if you run a store, you have to pay taxes and other business expenses
They do not realize that a person MUST feel some compensation for taking time away from their family and life to run a store
They do not yet realize how much the convenience of just being able to click a button to get a single part is really worth

I thank you for all the effort you have put in trying to make this a viable storefront
You have provided a service to the community that is difficult to duplicate
+1

All good points Dave. To be fair, I've never been on a forum that went as far out of its collective way to support good sellers (like DTR, Moh and others for instance) and be willing to pay a buck or two more for something to keep them going.

But you are right that group buys and sharing of information makes it particularly tough to compete. This forum is also very much about trying to make the hobby affordable and if "it" can find a way to build a better mousetrap in order to avoid paying $35 for a "very flexible" driver, then it will.

For the sellers who provide something unique (like Jayrobs custom machine work or Survival Lasers rock solid kits) there will probably always be some profit.

But if someone is selling a "commodity" then there is very little profit.

And most things become a commodity at some point. They start off with a good profit margin, but start to turn into loss-leaders at some point and you have to come up with another product to sell that makes the big profit. Kinda like printers! Back in the day, big money was made selling laser jets and ink jets. Now they are money losers in the hope they will make it back in ink sales.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go all philosophical on this, I just found your comments interesting and I agree with them very much. I also wanted to point out that a businessperson has to go in with the attitude of staying on top of the next big thing because you WILL have competition from all different sides and you will have things happen - like parts failures, or a diode becomes worthless overnight because a new one has just come out, etc... That you have to plan for or get burnt.

Running a business is tough!

Heads Up to Andrew: If I add 10 LPC-826 diodes to my cart, it raises the price from $11.69 to the $11.99 "sale price." I don't know if that is easy to adjust, but I wanted to let you know. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.