Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LUMIA- one thread for all-

Pman

Is that one of the ones you made with the clear epoxy? Sure looks like it. And what is that black stretchy stuff holding it all together? It sure looks handy lol
Sorry, being silly again. It's past my 9PM bedtime;)

Pretty interesting how well different things work. You know what I would like lots of our stuff like this and the projectors to have is a lens for adjusting the size of the image. I mean they exist on almost every home theatre projector so why not these kinds of things?
When are you expecting the replacement 532nm labby? I know they said they sent one out. Did you send the failed one back?

Tmack

He said he didn't need it back. Last I talked to him was Monday and he said he was sending one out right away. That should have meant today, or hopefully tomorrow.

If we could find a way to adjust the distance of the discs and the lasers would that change the size. Have the lasers on a sled or a long shaft for the discs where they could be shifted independently

Last edited:
He said he didn't need it back. Last I talked to him was Monday and he said he was sending one out right away. That should have meant today, or hopefully tomorrow.

If we could find a way to adjust the distance of the discs and the lasers would that change the size. Have the lasers on a sled or a long shaft for the discs where they could be shifted independently

Wouldn't changing the focus be the same thing and infinitely easier :thinking:

Tmack

Can't change the focus on my units. Would love to.

Edit: I just tried shining a larger spot hitting the glass with a handheld and it doesn't change the size of the effect. It does change the density of the design if that makes sense. Rather than a thin image morphing, it's hit more of the distorted glass, so the image is much more complex.

Changing the distance of the lasers to the glass doesn't change anything.

Last edited:
I'm working on a system that will hopefully allow full room coverage... But we'll see if it works...

Adding a focus lens sound easier than a sliding rail... Albeit less exciting.

Tmack

Yeah your right. And a sled wouldn't work anyways. It wouldn't change any dimensions. Oops. It would have to be a large lens to focus the distorted effect

What if you took a 3" lens and put it on the flat side of the disc then hit the epoxy side with the laser?

This is a beam shot just to show what we're working with: ... I don't think a beam shot ever needs an explaination
DSC04569_zps3cf47b54.jpg

This is just the first effect I got when I shined my laser through:
DSC04571_zps6e3c64bf.jpg

And now with the lens I pulled from a flashlight, nothing fancy.

First with the lens post-effect:
DSC04575_zpsa001036b.jpg

DSC04572_zps42a4d50b.jpg

I noticed that it really just blurs the effect and you just get a lot of splash. I also had to hold the lens about 3 inches away from the effect surface otherwise I just got a dot... A really really big dot

And now with the lens pre-effect: (the same as de-focusing)
DSC04579_zpsf0136e45.jpg

DSC04580_zps11ff1b3f.jpg

DSC04576_zps33786c1e.jpg

It does throw an appreciably larger effect, not too much splash, I didn't play with it too terribly much but it looks like this is the way to go. Although I have to admit, I like the more crisp lines that I lost when I defocused the laser.

Last edited:

Tmack

Nice testing. I think the crisp lines are essential to watching the effect morph. I wouldn't want to loose that for the ability to change the effect size.

Last edited:
Tmack asked if I could throw this up here since his phone was having issues uploading to youtube.

After seeing this I've decided I need some motors :)

Tmack

Thanks so much jav!!!! Appreciate the help.

Well this was the ghetto rigged unit I posted above. Not bad for " black stretchy stuff" huh ?
Threw it together in a few minutes to see how the motors speed would look at the point of beam contact. Looks ok so far. Still waiting on the green, so I'm crossing fingers and toes for parcel today.

NO4H99

Lumia's looking great Tmack. I really like the motor speed, seems like a happy medium.

OldNo7

If you string some hot glue across a piece of glass it can make a pretty interesting effect also. It's really easy to over do it though and end up with a dim effect and a mess glue. On the other hand though you can always scrape it off and start over. I like using the small 5mW 650nm lasers. In a dark room your eyes get used to it pretty easy and I'm not as worried about it not being safe.

Last edited:
Here's my setup so far. I'm using a reke RB projector and a separate 532 module which is sitting on top of the projector until I get a replacement module. Also I'm just using one of Hak's lightbulbs for distortion.... :)

lmnprj.jpg

lmn.jpg

just the green....
lmn532.jpg

and here's a video

I'm going to try shooting some better pics after adding another laser & getting more angles, I want to paint the entire room with this thing ;) I also want to look into slowing the rotation down around or below 1/10th RPM because that would be sick. Thanks again everyone for your contributions to this thread! :beer:

EDIT: ...just came across a video from a party my friend & I DJ'd at recently, I brought my lumia kit & found a way to add a little to the light show :p The lights behind my friend DJing sort of take from the effect but I had a nice morphing halo going up there for about 4 hrs ;)

Last edited:

Pman

^How are you getting such a wide spread? Angle on the 532nm must be doing it. Need to try some strong 405nm in there. Hard to explain it but purple really seems to be the most interesting color. Your whole room looks kinda purple in that one pic though:)

Yes the angle is doing that, you can direct where your light will hit your canvas/walls as well as how large it is. Right now the lasers are about 20' away from the wall in that room & in the 3rd pic the greenie is hitting the side of the bulb which flattens & spreads out the pattern. The room looks purple from the blue & red reflecting on the ceiling, it's not as bright as it appears though. The white light in that same pic also isn't white, just a little overexposed when I snapped it ;)

:beer:

Last edited:

Tmack

Those bulbs are great! Might have to mount one in front of my current disc. Don't want too much though. Can't hurt to try