Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LUMIA- one thread for all-

OldNo7

I'm going to try shooting some better pics after adding another laser & getting more angles, I want to paint the entire room with this thing ;) I also want to look into slowing the rotation down around or below 1/10th RPM because that would be sick. Thanks again everyone for your contributions to this thread!

American science and surplus has a 1/3 and a 1/5 RPH motor. That's 1/180 RPM. If you used one of those for 1 wheel and one of the 1/3 RPM for a second wheel you would practically never see the lumia repeat. 5-HOUR TIMER

American science and surplus has a 1/3 and a 1/5 RPH motor. That's 1/180 RPM. If you used one of those for 1 wheel and one of the 1/3 RPM for a second wheel you would practically never see the lumia repeat. 5-HOUR TIMER

Awesome!! I just ordered a 3 HR motor & I'm guessing it's going to be ungodly slow but that is what I'm looking for. I will definitely shoot a video of it crawling in action after I receive it & set it up. THANK YOU very much for sharing this link & info, I've only briefly googled slower motors & most of the results I saw were for 1RPM motors :/ Really appreciate you showing me this :D

+:beer:

Just an update since my last post, I received the 1/3RPH last week and found it to be way too slow. 80% of the time nothing appears to be happening, it's boring and the speed seems comparable to how slow the planet rotates :p So I did some more looking around & found a 4 RPH motor, ordered it & recently received it. Here's what 4 RPH looks like using Hak's lumia kit :D

Last edited:

Tmack

That looks very similar to a 1/3 rpm motor that I got from hak.

1/3 rpH?!? Damn I bet it was a looomngggg transition!!!

Last edited:
Just an update since my last post, I received the 1/3RPH last week and found it to be way too slow. 80% of the time nothing appears to be happening, it's boring and the speed seems comparable to how slow the planet rotates :p So I did some more looking around & found a 4 RPH motor, ordered it & recently received it. Here's what 4 RPH looks like using Hak's lumina kit :D

The one really nice thing about a motor that slow is that you could use a much bigger piece of rotating glass/plastic/etc without it being too fast.

I bet you could put a 12" diameter piece in there an it would be awesome.

Last edited:
That looks very similar to a 1/3 rpm motor that I got from hak.

1/3 rpH?!? Damn I bet it was a looomngggg transition!!!

Yeah the motor itself looks almost identical to Haks, only the speed is different. But 1/3RPH is extremely slow, watching transitions at this rate is almost unnoticeable unless you're standing directly in front of the graphic staring at one spot for several minutes. You can see the tiniest particles barely moving sometimes and thats only in the faster parts of the transition. The rest of the pattern looks completely idle overall, I tried to shoot a video of it going this slow but the camera doesn't pick up any motion. The only advantage I see from using a motor this slow would be if someone wanted a lumia graphic in a picture frame on the wall or something & tell people it wasn't animated. Only someone who pays close attention to detail would eventually figure out it's constantly moving ;)

The one really nice thing about a motor that slow is that you could use a much bigger piece of rotating glass/plastic/etc without it being too fast.

I bet you could put a 12" diameter piece in there an it would be awesome.

Definitely! I haven't tried any of the other stuff Hak includes in his kit yet because I'm so hooked on the lighbulb right now :crackup: I want to try that CD case thing Pman did and see how that would look too.

I'm going to try a 2RPH motor soon & shoot a video of how that looks. I'll also try some different settings so it's not so splashy looking on the screen, might need more ambient light so the graphic isn't as whitish as most of it looks right now.

:beer:

Last edited:

OldNo7

Just an update since my last post, I received the 1/3RPH last week and found it to be way too slow. 80% of the time nothing appears to be happening, it's boring and the speed seems comparable to how slow the planet rotates :p So I did some more looking around & found a 4 RPH motor, ordered it & recently received it. Here's what 4 RPH looks like using Hak's lumina kit :D

What I meant was use a 1/3RPH with a lumia wheel and then use a 1/3 RPM with another wheal or Hak's glass bulb behind it. You'd probably never see the same pattern twice depending on how random the texture of the first wheel is

What I meant was use a 1/3RPH with a lumia wheel and then use a 1/3 RPM with another wheal or Hak's glass bulb behind it. You'd probably never see the same pattern twice depending on how random the texture of the first wheel is

Yeah I hear ya man, I definitely wouldn't see the same pattern twice using 2 motors like that even if I stared at it for a few days without sleep or blinking :p I can't imagine the formula behind using dual motors & repeating patterns, my head would probably explode if I tried and I'd be in trouble for the mess it left if I were indoors. The speed from using 1 motor makes all the difference to me right now, haven't tinkered with using a 2nd because layering optics seems to take from the crisp detail of using just 1 ;)

Last edited:

OldNo7

Re: LUMIA- one thread for all

Yeah I hear ya man, I definitely wouldn't see the same pattern twice using 2 motors like that even if I stared at it for a few days without sleep or blinking :p I can't imagine the formula behind using dual motors & repeating patterns, my head would probably explode if I tried and I'd be in trouble for the mess it left if I were indoors. The speed from using 1 motor makes all the difference to me right now, haven't tinkered with using a 2nd because layering optics seems to take from the crisp detail of using just 1 ;)

Yeah I agree about the crispness. I thought maybe I needed better quality optics but I guess it's just the nature of the beast.

I just retread your other post. For some reason I thought you said your video was of 3 RPM motors. I thought it looked way slower. Where did you find 3 RPH motors?

Pman

WOW! That video is fantastic Danefex. It's all about finding the right combination of wheel and motor. HArd to wrap my head around there being such a huge difference between a 3 and 4 RPH motor. What exactly are you using in that vid for the wheel? Are we talking bulb or wheel or pice of glass?
I don't know if Len sends out the bulbs that we were looking for (and finally found) in his kits or not but I would like to know how the bulb looks if you have one (see earlier posts about the bulb).

WOW! That video is fantastic Danefex. It's all about finding the right combination of wheel and motor. HArd to wrap my head around there being such a huge difference between a 3 and 4 RPH motor. What exactly are you using in that vid for the wheel? Are we talking bulb or wheel or pice of glass?
I don't know if Len sends out the bulbs that we were looking for (and finally found) in his kits or not but I would like to know how the bulb looks if you have one (see earlier posts about the bulb).

Thanks Pman! I'm just using the bulb Hak included right now, I'm so attached to the output from the damn thing I still haven't tried the textured glass yet or anything else I have here :crackup: That bulb + 4 RPH (which is damn near close to the 'slow' that I really wanted) is just mesmerizing to watch, the detail in the patterns is just incredible & there's so much more you can see when it's all moving this slow.

But definitely, the right combination of wheel, motor & optic is such a variable yet so ideal to get the output you're looking for. Also the clearer your optic the better, I've come to learn that foggy or tinted glass/plastic doesn't produce as sharp of a graphic as something transparent ;)

Dang just watched a few of these videos and think i want to get one. Just waiting on Hak to post some pictures for me :) Now i want to get a cheap stable labby. Dang me and my prior hate for lab lasers, guess i have some reading to do or if anyone wants to point me in a direction for reliable lab laser then :beer: Oh and screw whoever stole my CC info, you are going to make it hard for me to buy a labby! (wasnt anyone on here so dont worry)

I am really liking this thread- you all are making some VERY nice stuff-

One of my earlier LUMIA boxes had 4 motors and six labs (small ones)
AND while the places where two wheels overlaps looked pretty good adding more layers is too muddy-- lacking crispness- so I took it apart and going with only one or two layers== P'Man these bulbs we have can throw a big area if you hit the bulb at the right spot- just watch out for reflections back at you.
SOME OTHER IDEAS:

stationary lumia glass(no need to cut it) and beams moved by a FS Mirror on the motor.
water makes nice lumia but its moves fast and can be messy- I have one wheel that rotates inside an oil bath so I get the movement of the glass and the old dripping down. When you go on a search at thrift shops look for old movie screens- and window sheers(the bigger the better)- several layers of these make kewl 3Dish efx and if the movie screen is last it is still very bright due to how these are made- even pointer lumia look outstanding on a movie screen- but white sheets are Ok too.+

About 405- in the pics below I have a 300mW 445(Ti-B and NO its not FS) a 80mW 532 and around 500 mW 405- alone the BR looks good add the green and it looks less impressive and when I add the 445 the purple starts to look more like blue.
I slapped a motor and bulb to a board to show just one of many ways one can mount these motors- this was easier that opening one of my LUMIA boxes. I like the idea of the bulb being pointing up- no gravity working to make the bulb fall off the motor something that becomes more common as the weight of the glass goes up --

with this mount I can lower or raise the motor(just one bolt/nut is used) and i can rotate the entire mount (again only fastened down in one spot)
My first mounts where made from aluminum angle stock- but they are not as cheap as what I am sending out now- the pics is what come with my 'basic' kits ..but there will always be other items- I will soon have 100 Texas size torture tubes and will sub them for the bulbs as you guys can just go buy a six pack of them for 8$ at Lowes.+

But I will still add my motor/bulb mount for the standard bulb bases (c7)
If you have NO harware I need to know that as i can add some screws and nut/bolts- most of us have that stuff already - like wire crimps for adding the wire and shrink to make a clean looking splice- I intentionally left the wire off in case you want to thread it thru a hole in your lumia box.

About BIG wheels-- I have a whopper its about 14 inches and I rotate it with a BBQ spit motor(1RPM average)- and of course its too fast especially as you get further from center. if anyone wants one of these (high torque) I have a few FS at 10$- they are not the quietest LUMIA motors but will rotate anything.

I use a lot of JB Weld and A/B epoxy to attach glass to shafts-
I have never bothered trying to make a hole in my flat glass-
I have some new glass coming 8x8 inches so i will make 4 inch rounds for each piece and those willl go for 7 $ each of 3 different textures for 20$ ship included.
all my glass in my four-motor LUMIA box has an iron washer JBWelded to the center and powerful magnets glued to the motors so swapping glass is very easy.

for the lowest price possible go for a RG 'twinkle' laser pay NO more thna 20$ - open and remove the diffraction grating (after seeing how it looks as-is) those gratings & the motor inside can be used elsewhere-they are typically around 20-30mW of 532 and 80mW of red - the circuitry if left intact with turn the two lasers off and on(more or less randomally). but No wiring is needed- and most do an OK job of sound response- they come with a bracket than makes mounting a snap- and at 20$ you should have enough coin left to buy a decent 405== AixiZ has a VERY nice one 12vdc- ttl I think they are 150mW not much but still OK two would be better no such thing as TOO much 405 or red- I am building some green only as the labs I am using are more than 100mW and these would need a LOT of R & Br to macth that== remember-- 50mW of 532 is as bright to our eyes as 1W of 445 and EVEN more of red and 405--

OR for less than 20$ bid until you win a three RGV pointer set- I got two of them for 12$per set- one arrived DOA- I complained - they sent another DOA I complained and they wanted 4$ to ship me a third one- no thanks .

on average
red was 85mW the 405 was nearly 100mW and the green pointer was about 60mW expect these to fail even if you add heatsinking (somebody sells pointer heatsinks)
fans are cheap and can help BUT at 4$ per lasers get two of each and seperate circuits running each three and only run one set at a time= duty/resting may make your pointers last longer.

here are some crappy pics

will take more with four flavors of red and my yellow HeNe-(by itself as its only 7mW) I will tkae some with two REO green henes- my 515 26mW AixiZ diode green module ($85) and a few 532 dpss-

last - reflecting my 145mW Argon ML off a rotating grating that shows the 6 orders perfectly- so I will have a six color gas lumia -
oh I forgot- keep on the lookout at thrifts for glass door knobs- makes a lumia that covers the entire room (almost)- these are 1-2$ AT thrift shops but at 'antique' shops they want more than 10$--

I used JB Weld to make that wheel with four kinds of glass- when the laser hits the JB is stops for a second-- I say I planned it that way..and i'm sticking to that story..

Attachments

• Thrift shop LUMIA glass 002.jpg
    Thrift shop LUMIA glass 002.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 12X and lumina 5 inch wheel 009.jpg
    12X and lumina 5 inch wheel 009.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 258
  • --------------------------------------LlL UUU MM II AAAAA 001.jpg
    --------------------------------------LlL UUU MM II AAAAA 001.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 262
  • --------------------------------------LlL UUU MM II AAAAA 002.jpg
    --------------------------------------LlL UUU MM II AAAAA 002.jpg