Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPC-840 discussion thread

I may see how high I can get one. One of these days I will break down and buy a power supply.

Heh, me too. I just recently got so fed up with my crappy soldering iron that I bought a nice, brand new Hakko soldering station- was well worth it. For now I just have a 5-10v 5A power supply i use for things.

I ordered some potentiometers, and want to make a small constant current adjustable supply using just your typical LM337 or something of the sort, powered by a wallwart, with a small output display. Certainly nothing fancy or extensive (and CERTAINLY not feature loaded :D), but I think it will do for now...until like you, I bite it and get a bench supply.

i had my diode ready to go and tested with the flex and in the host then killed it....:oops:
i'm looking forward to more data on these, hopefully better output than what drake is getting. i have a few soc reds left and will prolly put one of those in my groove in the mean time.

Edit: a power supply is essential and useful in many ways, i'm glad i've never sold mine.

Last edited:

Rifter

i had my diode ready to go and tested with the flex and in the host then killed it....:oops:
i'm looking forward to more data on these, hopefully better output than what drake is getting. i have a few soc reds left and will prolly put one of those in my groove in the mean time.

Edit: a power supply is essential and useful in many ways, i'm glad i've never sold mine.

What power was it at when you killed it, or was it a short and not overdrive related?

Well.... I'm sorry to say guys I killed mine today too:( it could have been any number of things but its dead now.
Hooked it up to the bench supply after it didn't work in the host/driver and it flickered a few times then died. It's possible some of the arctic silver 5 contaminated the open can while pressing, maybe the driver from survival laser spiked and killed it. I donno.

Rifter

Well this is making me think these are very delicate diodes...

The driver came preset to 445mA. I tested it out and it was indeed putting out 435 ish mA. I was sure to use anti static techniques and keep heat off the diode while soldering pins. They seem to be delicate. Next time ill have to order a couple extras.

Edit: those drivers do tend to spike hard but they're just so available!

Last edited:
Possible less than advertised slope efficiency + THREE kills = WTF !!!!!!!

The search for a inexpensive,single mode, 1/2W......goes on !!!!

I will NOT go thru the time and effort for less than 500mW per LD !!! Optic losses from a telescope set up will likely be 5%.....and from the steering mirrors ( Lasertrac prism mirrors )....another 1%...AND...I have released the " Magic Smoke" from enough LD's !!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the High Power Green'n Blue !!....Just waiting for the technology to catch up to my "Photon Anvil" for the Red's !!!:san::san::san:

Last edited:

IsaacT

I'll try mine tonight if I have time. I only use flexdrives for reds if possible.

I wonder why no one use the CG X-drives those are some wonderful drivers I use them for everything NOT boost.

I've seen otherwise good drivers do bad things when there is a little switch bounce. 660nm diodes have
always been and will probably continue to be very sensitive to current spikes. All things considered
though, it's not looking very good for these diodes.

Just finished the test on the second one! I had similar results as last. :( Will upload the PIV data in a bit.

This one went to LD heaven at 600mA.

Here is the diode PIV data, I apologize for the terrible handwriting and blurry picture. :p

attachment.php

I really had high hopes for this diode, I am disappointed that these turned out to be so weak. As for the others that killed theirs, don't feel bad because I have killed a LOT of open cans in my day. :D Thank goodness for those $30 10-packs of LOCs that we can get now a days.

Attachments

• 20140702_213846.jpeg
    20140702_213846.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,035

IsaacT

That's pretty shitty IMO. Too bad these are so terrible.

Terrible! Maybe they are not even genuine Mitsubishi diodes and are fakes. There is a ton
of that crap going on.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LPC-840 Power Chart 2.jpeg
    LPC-840 Power Chart 2.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 625

Rifter

Terrible! Maybe they are not even genuine Mitsubishi diodes and are fakes. There is a ton
of that crap going on.

attachment.php

I'm thinking they must be fakes, they arnt even hitting lpc-826 power. I'm going to be pissed off when I get this thing together if it doesn't beat my current lpc 826 laser.....

IsaacT

I may not even use these. Haven't opened the package yet. May just write "LPC-840 x 2" on the envelope and let it sit forever.