Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser powered razor

gozert

Damn, spyro was ahead of his time... he invented something similar years ago.
I saved the design, I knew it would come in handy (mmmm handys)

I have more faith in your design than the guys that made up this razor :crackup:

I have more faith in your design than the guys that made up this razor :crackup:

Make no mistake, this is from LPF member Sprorocks. used to be on a lot,
and was a mod for a bit.

I can only take credit for being crazy enough to keep this pic for years,
waiting to use it at the right time!! LOL

MIchael.

Was browsing some stuff on kickstarter when I came across this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skarp/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving?ref=video

Seems like the biggest scam to me. A lower powered, eye safe laser that cuts through hair and lasts a month on a single AAA battery? Also, if it's eye safe, why is the dude in the video using safety goggles at 1:26?

Am I missing something or are the people that backed this just plain stupid?

looks like a scam to me.

Another catch phrase that the talking heads use is .... drum roll ..... cymbal crash .... new and improved!!

Gabe

Research shows...

With a new breakthrough in ___________ technology...

And pretty much any use of the word 'virtually' in a commercial.

Benm

This is quite bizarre...

I don't see this working ever, but even if it could cut hair with a magically confined powerful laser beam, imagine what shaving would smell like! You are still basically burning hair off, right under your nose if you were to trim your moustache with this.

The claim it will not smell because you're not burning the hair. This would only be half true: while you are not burning the whole hair, you are burning a slice of it to get the cut. And given how unpleasant burning hair smells (ever got one on your soldering iron? that...) i doubt it'd be any good.

Looks like it won't work worth a damn, if it does work at all, it won't be a close shave, if it were, you would burn yourself.

Hi,
Talk about a close shave don't worry about your hair coming back when your epidermis is gone.

Rich:)

LSRFAQ

Until now, Not a single one of you has shown a clue in how it really works.

A optical fiber with a very critical diameter has laser light circulating inside in a resonant mode. When a hair hits the side of the fiber, light is coupled out of the fiber into the hair. The wavelength is chosen to match an adsorption peak of a protein common to all hair... It more or less undergoes a chemical breakdown as well as melts. If there is no hair or "biocrud" in contact with the fiber, there is little or no scatter out of the system.

So the fiber TIR is spoiled at the point of contact, then an evanescent wave can be coupled into the hair from the cladding...

In another part of the net, more concentrated on physics, the company is answering our questions and has provided another video.

Guess what, it CAN work under the right circumstances... They are not "there" yet, but at least they are trying, and its very likely NOT a fraud.

If inventors only went after what they were one hundred per cent sure would work, this world would be a very boring place.
Some very skilled people with a track record in the skin resurfacing business are TRYING something new.

An AA Disposable Lithium Cell has enough power for up to a few hours of useful work if the electronics are designed well. We did the math on the other forum, too. Its marginal, but doable.

Honestly the big trick is drawing the fiber to the right diameter and mounting it properly. The rest is straight out of a college optics textbook.

PS, its easy to detect if the fiber breaks and shut down the laser. Its also fairly easy to detect if the fiber has contacted a hair or skin,, and gate power accordingly.

Steve

Last edited:
Do you mean this and this?

I'm betting they have contacted you, if that' the case please do explain the following:
-How it avoids the burning hair smell.
-How it avoids burning other stuff that touches it.
-If it outputs all the energy at once when it touches the hair how will it be able to burn as many hairs per second as would be needed to actually shave.

Last edited:

LSRFAQ

Do you mean this and this?

I'm betting they have contacted you, if that' the case please do explain the following:
-How it avoids the burning hair smell.
-How it avoids burning other stuff that touches it.
-If it outputs all the energy at once when it touches the hair how will it be able to burn as many hairs per second as would be needed to actually shave.

Full disclosure, I have an invite to talk to the principle inventor after initial release to market, but NOT before. I have not directly contacted them.

They are not answering all my questions, and in fact the CTO does not want to talk to me until after he's on the market. That is understandable, the way venture capitalists and angel investors view disclosure.

Even if what I'm asking would be readily apparent and measurable in less then two minutes in my home lab, once any protective electronics were defeated or fooled.

Right now I would not bet either way on success. I have not invested on Kickstarter. I agree some of their statements are very forward looking, but so were some of the Wright Brother's initial statements..

Its a really easy matter to probe for skin contact or hair contact if you have a directional coupler on the fiber. No where have they stated that this is capable of removing a full grown beard, either. Which is a difficult task for most modern razors, anyways.

Steve

Last edited:
You obviously know better than I, but I am still doubting this- if for nothing else than based off how dumb they seem in the video. Sure, bouncing a laser back and forth through a cloud of fog on an optical table, and burning your arm hair with a red laser may seem smart to someone, I'm not impressed...

LSRFAQ

If you watch the first video again, you'll see the beam is purple and blurred on the camera, which means its likely IR... Not red...

The second video is filmed thru safety goggles to protect the camera...

The hair looks like it slowly melts and bends over, with an initial tiny flash of plasma or flame at first contact with the fiber.

Which is the main reason I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Steve

Last edited:
I don't think it's to protect the camera, I think they did that to avoid people seeing it's IR.

I still think it's gonna smell bad.

Either way, I hope I'm wrong and this works well. I'd certainly buy one :p

Edit: they just got 2M. For crying out loud.

Last edited:
Until now, Not a single one of you has shown a clue in how it really works.

A optical fiber with a very critical diameter has laser light circulating inside in a resonant mode. When a hair hits the side of the fiber, light is coupled out of the fiber into the hair. The wavelength is chosen to match an adsorption peak of a protein common to all hair... It more or less undergoes a chemical breakdown as well as melts. If there is no hair or "biocrud" in contact with the fiber, there is little or no scatter out of the system.

So the fiber TIR is spoiled at the point of contact, then an evanescent wave can be coupled into the hair from the cladding...

So are you saying then that when the hair contacts the fiber that it effectively has a different (higher?) index of refraction which allows the light inside the fiber to escape? If that's the case then it would burn skin (at least a little) and wouldn't water also allow the light to escape?

Thanks for chiming in Steve?

EDIT: Evanescent wave you say... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evanescent_wave. Thanks for giving me more stuff to give me a headache trying to figure out:D.

Double Edit: From the Patent: "15. The device of claim 1, wherein a cross-sectional shape of the fiber optic at the cutting region is wedge-shaped." (US Patent #9017322 B2) What does that mean?

Last edited:
So are you saying then that when the hair contacts the fiber that it effectively has a different (higher?) index of refraction which allows the light inside the fiber to escape? If that's the case then it would burn skin (at least a little) and wouldn't water also allow the light to escape?

Thanks for chiming in Steve?

EDIT: Evanescent wave you say... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evanescent_wave. Thanks for giving me more stuff to give me a headache trying to figure out:D.

Double Edit: From the Patent: "15. The device of claim 1, wherein a cross-sectional shape of the fiber optic at the cutting region is wedge-shaped." (US Patent #9017322 B2) What does that mean?

I take it to mean that when you cut the fiber in half, it isn't round. It's wedge shaped.

LSRFAQ

Not quite. It would be a custom TIR wedge, the beam will reflect internally as a retroreflection at the wedge tip, if the glass or saphire etc is cut at the correct angle.

The laser feeds light into the wedge and it stays there for quite a few passes.

See "total internal reflection" and "frustrated total internal reflection"...

I'd put up a picture but I'd really like this guy to make it to market without unsafe overnigh competitors getting there first. So all those Kickstarter investors get a positive experince.

Steve