Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Focusing Springs

RE and Blord, have you gotten your springs from me? And if so, did you have any luck testing them? :)

Blord

No sorry, I am still waiting for the springs. I will let you know when they come in.

Wow, that is taking longer than usual. Let me know if they aren't there next week. I'll send more if I have to...

:(

Alright, springs came in today. The internal springs are a virtually perfect fit both for aixiz and g lenses, although I still prefer the external spring concept.

The external springs on the other hand, though perfect in diameter, are way too soft and have too many coils, making the spring's solid height too high for a G lens. Even with a whole coil trim from both ends, the g lens is still unable to reach infinity focus before the spring hits solid height. With some adjustments however, I'm confident I can get the external springs to fit well.

Once I get my calipers I will do additional measurements and adjust the variables appropriately, then see if I can get some of these custom manufactured to our specifications.

Thanks for the springs Tom, you definitely struck gold with the internal springs and silver with the externals :)

Last edited:
Ryan, your findings seem to echo mine on these. I am pretty happy with the internals, although I still need to do more testing with the 450nm single modes to see if they work with the G-series lenses.

Maybe I just got a weird setup on my first test, because the internals are working fine for me now with everything I've tried...

Thanks for sharing your findings. Hopefully Blord will get his this week and report back as well!

I got mine a while back - don't know why I didn't post about it. My findings seem to echo those of others....

However, I can almost assure you, these will not work with a G2 lens and one of the new 9mm diodes. I have a 9mm in my personal build and the spring reaches coil bind far too quickly. One would have to trim several coils off of it to even get it to focus.

Thanks Wolfman. So you were able to use the internals ok for x140 445's with a G-1 or G-2 lens? How did you like the feel/tension?

I personally like them better than the Aixiz because they are firmer and seem to hold focus better. I've replaced all my builds with these.

But I would definitely like to know of someone doesn't like them, they might not be for everyone! With the big copper module groupbuy, RHD pointed out that we needed some springs to go along with the modules and this was what I found so far.

I can't wait to see what Ryan comes up with for externals. I personally am ok with either internal or external. I know others have strong feelings about one or,the other. I think that I prefer internal springs, but I'll take a good external option as well!

Mostly, I don't want to steer someone into buying a bunch of springs that they don't like or can't use. :)

Last edited:
Well, it doesn't work with the 445nm 9mm diodes. Haven't tried it yet with a standard 5.6mm 445nm diode. I do like the feel on my 720mW 640nm though :D

Blord

I got my springs today. :)
The inner spring is much stuffer than the standard Aixiz spring. When it put in the module the extra torque is noticeable but it holds the lensbarrel more firmly a the place. It works with 3.8mm, 5.6mm and 9mm diode. I like this replacement spring.

The outer spring is bigger but it takes less pressure to squeeze. It got the feeling of the standard spring. The metal is different than the other spring.
When placed around the barrel it takes a lot of space. The lens may not go into focus with this external spring. And the laser has a ghetto look.
Not my style. :D

I like the inner spring much more than the outer spring.

left: standard Aixiz spring, middle: inner spring, right: outer spring.
springs-1.jpg

springs-2.jpg

Sorry to bump this after a few years, but I wonder if anyone has ever found a good source for external springs. SL has them, but $5 a piece is just way too much...

Sorry to bump this after a few years, but I wonder if anyone has ever found a good source for external springs. SL has them, but $5 a piece is just way too much...

There was also this thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/external-lens-spring-76107.html
Another possibility is if someone could get the exact measurements of the SL springs, diameter, length, and lengh when compressed, then you could probably order some cheap from someplace that makes springs, but there would probably be some large minimum order.

Alan

Hi,
I use a spring and tape but not the Chinese tape. The mm spec is too thin more of a chance of getting a piece onto the window of the diode. i use a hercules teflon tape . I'm a pipe fitter and this is thick tape. one time around the threads and your good to go forever.When you use the tape keep running your fingers around the threads it will seat it deep into the threads. the more this is done the better it will form. This will help a lot try iy you'll like it really.
The first third of the barrel closest to the diode doesn't need tape. start a little higher to the focal point.
Rich:))

Last edited:
There was also this thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/external-lens-spring-76107.html
Another possibility is if someone could get the exact measurements of the SL springs, diameter, length, and lengh when compressed, then you could probably order some cheap from someplace that makes springs, but there would probably be some large minimum order.

Alan

I found a similar kit from ebay for $12 but it still seems like it'd require quite a bit of modification :/

It would be cool if someone would do a group buy on the proper springs ordered to spec.

Hi,
I use a spring and tape but not the Chinese tape. The mm spec is too thin more of a chance of getting a piece onto the window of the diode. i use a hercules teflon tape . I'm a pipe fitter and this is thick tape. one time around the threads and your good to go forever.When you use the tape keep running your fingers around the threads it will seat it deep into the threads. the more this is done the better it will form. This will help a lot try iy you'll like it really.
The first third of the barrel closest to the diode doesn't need tape. start a little higher to the focal point.
Rich:))

I use tape on a few of my lasers but I don't like it very much because of the risk of contamination on the diode window.