Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Introducing the 10W Rubicon X LPM!

Trevor

Introducing the 10W Rubicon X LPM!

cCAj9yb.jpg

It was bound to happen eventually! With the rise in prominence of high-powered, multi-diode lasers, it seemed silly to not have a 10W-capable hobby LPM on the market. Thus, ARG and I are happy to offer a new version of the Rubicon, capable of metering up to 10W.

Here’s a quick video tour of the Rubicon V, which mirrors the Rubicon X system nearly exactly:

Features

The Rubicon X is based on the Ophir 20C sensor, and has a maximum input power of 10W. It uses the 16-bit A/D conversion pipeline from the Rubicon V, allowing a resolution of 0.15mW. Because the Rubicon X is based on this stellar sensor, the response time is a blazing 0.8s to 95% power.

A heatsink is recommended for sustained measurements over 10W, such as the one offered my Mrcrouse: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/f...ensors-new-model-ultimate-ophir-hs-80878.html

It runs LumenOS P2x, a modified version of LumenOS P2, rearranged to support the increased range of the new Rubicon. Because it uses the same analog-to-digital conversion pipeline as the original Rubicon, it has a maximum resolution of approximately 0.15mW. In practice, this is rounded, and the LPM typically increments by 0.2mW.

The Rubicon covers the basics that every LPM should have - a reading display, peak power detection, and datalogging. It also has a number of other features that are rather uncommon in a hobbyist LPM.

• Onboard average power display
  • Laser stability measurement
  • Onscreen graphing
    • Graphing in streaming (scrolling, unlimited) or session (will stop after a certain number of readings) mode
    • Optional display of an analog needle instead of a graph
  • Multiple datastream protocols
    • Simple - For use with generic logging programs, like StampPlot Pro
    • OpenLPM - For use with Peregrine. In the Rubicon, the OpenLPM protocol is able to pass instructions from the LPM to Peregrine.
    • LaserBee - In case someone replaces their LaserBee with a Rubicon, we thought it would be nice to be able to use the software that they already are licensed.
  • Multiple baud rate options for compatibility with various datalogging software packages
  • Rich integration with OpenLPM-compatible datalogging software

Just an additional note on the datalogger integration - using compatible software, it is now possible to reset a measurement on the computer via pressing the 'Reset' button on the Rubicon. The Rubicon will either just send a reset signal, or can specify a threshold and duration for Peregrine (or other software package) to use. What is sent depends on configuration; see manual for more details.

Here's a screenshot of the graphing screen:

wyQhkrk.jpg

And here's a few screenshots of the menu system:

The main configuration menu for the graphing screen (shot in black and white):

ZNspKqK.jpg
m8za9K5.jpg

vQFyRQA.jpg

And the serial interface configuration menu:

mSxxNY6.jpg
fYw6El9.jpg

The functionality of all the different configuration options is detailed in the user manual

Interface Software

uslD5aW.png

The Rubicon was designed with Peregrine in mind, but will work with other dataloggers. Using the OpenLPM protocol with Peregrine, the Rubicon is capable of instructing the datalogging software to discard the current test and start a fresh one, when the Reset button is pressed. This instruction can use either the default settings already present in Peregrine, or the Rubicon can send a new duration and threshold value to use for the graphing session.

If you are a LaserBee user switching to a Rubicon and have a license to use the bundled graphing software, the Rubicon will support it as long as the LaserBee protocol is used at 9600 baud.

You can also use the Simple protocol to log to programs like StampPlot Pro.

Pricing

This is the best part! Instead of artificially jacking up the price based on the doubled range, we’ve decided to simplify our pricing and offer both Rubicon LPM’s for the same price!

An LPM, sensor, and power supply will run $500 shipped to North America. Tracked and insured shipping outside North America will be an additional $49.

An LPM and power supply will cost $250 shipped to North America. Shipping outside of North America will be an additional $35.

Conclusion

The Rubicon X is the next step for the hobby LPM market and the next logical revision to the Rubicon hardware. We’re happy to be the first to offer a 10W hobby LPM – and especially happy to not be price gouging for an incremental hardware and firmware revision.

We look forward to continuing to listen to and serve the community through openness and innovation.

Trevor

SKeeZ

NICE! no artifacts, good GUI, pretty sleek, reasonably priced, if i had money i'd have thrown it at you by now. and holy crap! 10W! now all i need to do is do a multi diode 10 Watt C-mount laser to max it out...

Last edited:
Reactions: ARG
More pics!!!! Actually no more pics cuz then my Rubicon will get jealous! Is mine upgradeable to 10W if I want it? I have no need for 10W thus far but good to know.

Also how are those GITD blue cases coming along (figure Alex will chime in on this one)

WOW! A 10W hobbyist LPM :)

Yourself and ARG have outdone yourselves. Extremely clean interface, and a great price to :beer: it's nice to have many options for the data logging. A great defining feature indeed :)

I would buy one without a second thought if I had the money :D

ARG

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Is mine upgradeable to 10W if I want it? I have no need for 10W thus far but good to know.

Also how are those GITD blue cases coming along (figure Alex will chime in on this one)

The original Rubicon's (now Rubicon V) cannot be changed into a Rubicon X, there's physical hardware changes as well as firmware changes. It's not really an upgrade though, the Rubicon V has better resolution and low-range measurement capabilities, that's why we're offering both. :)

I haven't had a chance to run the GITD plastic through the 3D printer, university has been keeping me busy. :p

Last edited:
Well ill stick with the V for now and as soon as that gets run, let me know!!!!! Ive been dying for one since the idea was throw out there four months ago or so :D

ARG

Have you guys tested it for artifacts like "ringing"?

I tested it and found no artifacts. However, some others who are inexperienced with LPM design may mistake the centering of the laser on the thermopile as ringing. ;)

Last edited:

gismo

Rubicon X. An LPM design which packs in power and attractiveness.

X for extraordinary, X for excellent.
Trevor & Arg, X-men of the laser power measurement industry:).

:gj: guys!

Last edited:

sinner

I love my ARGLPM V1.1 , You guys are just X-traordinary like gismo said..
These should sell like hotcakes, Advice to the members ,, This right here is the LPM and
a one time cost, has everything you can possibly get, you wont need another..

Excellent work guys! +1

BTW Im still in the market for a better LPM the X or V. Ive currently got the 2.5 W LB and the 30 sec response time is really slow...:( The problem is that by the time the laser has peaked, its power has dropped so I dont actually see the real max power...

ARG you mentioned that the resolution is better on the V at lower powers, could you say by how much and can I e.g measure a laser of less than 50 mW with at least a 1 mW accuracy on the X?

Other than that could you also possibly elaborate on the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Anyway @ ARG Im still thinking about your PM and Ill get back to you soon. :beer:

DJNY

the 30 sec response time is really slow...:( The problem is that by the time the laser has peaked, its power has dropped so I dont actually see the real max power...

That´s why it was inacceptable to get anything less than an Ophir based LPM.

Great work guys :wave:

NKO29

Any discounts for early buyers :p I'm looking into buying a LPM, but $500 is kinda outa my price range :(

Another brilliant piece of engineering, Both of you have been a great asset the the forum and laser enthusiasts everywhere. I would say keep up the great work, but if anything you guys should put your feet up and have a relax. Brilliance at a terrific price well done Both. +1 Trevor ....and +1 ARG when system allows for you.

Last edited: