Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Introducing the 10W Rubicon X LPM!

Things

Please keep this thread flame-war free. This is a great looking LPM, and the thread doesn't need to be ruined by "Y's meter is so much better than X's". Any such posts will be removed and the offender issued a temp ban, so please, keep it friendly :)

PS: I wanna see the next version with a full colour OLED running OpenLPM :D

Last edited:

Hi guys would the sensor for the kenometer pro work with these lpm?
:thanks: in advanced for the help

ARG

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Hi guys would the sensor for the kenometer pro work with these lpm?
:thanks: in advanced for the help

Yup, they use the same surplus Ophir20C-A heads :)

Any discounts for early buyers :p I'm looking into buying a LPM, but $500 is kinda outa my price range :(

Sorry, nope :( You can build a DIY LPM with a couple of 9V batteries, a DMM and an Ophir 20C-A head, I highly recommend it :)

Excellent work guys! +1

BTW Im still in the market for a better LPM the X or V. Ive currently got the 2.5 W LB and the 30 sec response time is really slow...:( The problem is that by the time the laser has peaked, its power has dropped so I dont actually see the real max power...

ARG you mentioned that the resolution is better on the V at lower powers, could you say by how much and can I e.g measure a laser of less than 50 mW with at least a 1 mW accuracy on the X?

Other than that could you also possibly elaborate on the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Anyway @ ARG Im still thinking about your PM and Ill get back to you soon. :beer:

On the Rubicon V it has a resolution of 0.1mW and a minimum measurable power of 1mW.
The Rubicon X has a resolution of 0.15mW and a minimum measurable power of 2mW. The Ophir head will need a heatsink for extended measurements over 5W.
That's about the only difference between the two :)

Wow, very impressive gentlemen. This surely will be a future purchase from these trusted members. Way to go on the advancement guy's. Another ground breaking contributions to the community . And another wallet breaking purchase. :) but considering what your getting, I can justify it...... To myself.. .. (not the wife ;) )

Last edited:
Any discounts for early buyers :p I'm looking into buying a LPM, but $500 is kinda outa my price range :(
well if your interested in my LPM, i can buy Trevors/ Args with the sale of mine to you and put in the difference myself a win win situation .PM if interested as I'm local its a lot easier.

Hey guys!

Awesome touch up of your LPM's! I repped you :) +1

I have a few questions:

- Don't all ophir 20C head based go up to 10W easily? Can the older version of rubicon also do this?
- Is this just a sofware upgrade?

Maybe this is a noob question because i only made lpm's with simple setups and chips from jerry. :p

Trevor

I have a few questions:

- Don't all ophir 20C head based go up to 10W easily? Can the older version of rubicon also do this?

Yep - the Ophir 20C-A can go up to 20W, that's not news.

The older version of the Rubicon maxes out at 5W (5V), because that's the reference voltage of the analog-to-digital converter.

A hardware revision was required to allow the meter to sample from up to a 10W (10V) signal - so the original Rubicon with a software update still could not read up to 10W because it can't handle a 10V input.

EDIT: Also, the Ophir 20C-A requires a higher supply voltage to enable it to read higher powers.

Firmware revisions were indeed required to reflect the new range.

Does that answer your questions? :)

Trevor

Last edited:

ARG

I have a few questions:

There is hardware modifications as well as firmware modifications. :) Rubicon V's don't have the additional hardware, so they can't be made into a X.

All Ophir20C-A heads can go up to 20W, that part is not unique :p
What is unique is that this is a digital LPM that can read up to 10W, while most other digital Ophir20C-A based LPM's are limited to 5W because of voltage supply or ADC limitations.
This LPM has a +/-12V to power the Ophir head, allowing a maximum of 10W output from the head :)

Edit: Trevor beat me to it.

Last edited:
I see thanks :) So it was the analog to digital converter in your design that limited the older rubicon from going up to 10W. (and the firmware ofcourse)

Why didn't you guys do this earlier ? :p

greetings, :beer:

EDIT: So my super simple ophir 20C setup with two 9V batteries and a 20V display was awesome the whole time :p :p (in terms of capable reading)

:beer: Keep up the good work guys :beer:

Last edited:

ARG

Two 9V batteries can only read to about 5W-7W depending on the charge.

We didn't do this earlier because I thought a 5W max was plenty and it was only after we had made the Rubicon that people started to request more power :p

Last edited:
The more I read this forum the more im blown away at the extent of people knowledge. Can't tell you guys how much I'm learning here. I hope to be on the teaching side one day. Till then I'm going to keep quiet and read. One of these will soon be on my wish list. Thanks guys .ill be in contact when I need to order.

Pman

Thanks gentlemen for a fine product and continuing to be assets to our community.

Thanks gentlemen for a fine product and continuing to be assets to our community.
More like legends in the community and doing a great service to laser enthusiasts every ware ...PS congratulations on the 1000 th post. i know how you feel on that point ... get well soon cheers and best

Last edited:

ARG

I have some ready, drop me a PM if you're interested.

I can only ship on weekends now, there is no post office near campus and I only have time on the weekends to take a trip down there.